Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

https://news.yahoo.com/off-road-off-grid-modern-100032869.html

more and more as I confront the realities of retirement this is an option I am considering. Buying a camper for my pickup truck bed, selling off all my assets, and hitting the road with Sunny for as far as the road goes.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, rjshae said:

vid

It needs a Pink Floyd soundtrack.

hmmm.

also sprach zarathustra were what came to mind.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For that general thought point and discussion....

(From a Jacksonville journalist)

145718754_258155329012840_33151660372290

Your baby is born. You are overjoyed and post the details. Name, weight, date of birth and tag the hospital in the post.
Everyone does it, so what's the harm - right?
There is a study that suggests parents sharing about their children online will account for more than half of identity theft impacting young people by 2030.

If your child develops a medical condition or gets sick and you post about it looking for advice or support - could that lead to your child being denied health insurance down the road when they are an adult? Would your child want something private, like a medical diagnosis, posted on social media?

You snap a picture of your child at bath time playing in bubbles and post it to share with friends because your little one is so adorable - but who has access to that photo and where is it being shared/stored?

Those are all pieces of an upcoming story of mine on the issue of "Sharenting" and I'll be honest, it made me sit back and really think about what, if anything, I should share about my son on social media.

I would love your thoughts on it - how did you decide what to post/not post about your children?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 2/6/2021 at 2:45 AM, Gfted1 said:

I know they say the pen is mightier than the sword... but sentencing what was a 16-17 year old girl for doing stenography?

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

36 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I know they say the pen is mightier than the sword... but sentencing what was a 16-17 year old girl for doing stenography?

well, they are trying her in juvenile court, and no doubt her defense will be along the lines o' what you suggest; that she was just doing what she was told to do. has never been a particular strong defense, but the fact she were a kid will no doubt be a significant factor. 

am not bothered that a secretary would be deemed complicit for knowing aiding in mass murder.  the thing is, am wondering how far down the proximate cause chain justice demands we take this. how many germans knew? how many germans had some small role which contributed to the attempted extermination o' a minority population?

is probable that the guy delivering bread or milk in 1944 to stutthof knew what were happening to jews, poles, russians and others. why wasn't he put on trial? were the milkman's contribution so fundamental different from the secretary? how do we distinguish the stutthof milkman from the secretary? is doubtful the milkman and the secretary gets put on trial in the days immediate following the war even if there were strong evidence which showed they were knowing exact what were happening in stutthof. how many delivery people and craftsman who contributed to the maintenance o' stutthof knew? is always civilian contractors and workers at such facilities. 

can't help but wonder how much o' this is political theatre. decades removed from events, prosecutors get a chance to show they is still aware and sensitive? 

again, am actual ok with finding a seventeen-year-old to be complicit if the evidence supports. the thing is, if she is guilty, then so were a whole lotta other people and no effort were made to prosecute 'em. lack o' prosecution o' the multitudes does not make the secretary less complicit, but it severe undermines fundamental notions o' justice if she gets singled out so temporal remote from actual events.

and don't get us started on the pogroms from before the war, and the dirty euro secret regarding the large number o' jews quiet murdered by local populations after they were liberated from the nazi camps. is a whole lotta complicit. is mighty convenient for 2021 populations to single out the nazis as the villains when is fact the nazis neither started nor finished the murder.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All just because of that stupid $GME. 😄

Man people lost lots of money over this. Some spend more than they could afford, because "it is a safe bet" ... and now some sort of cult formed around it and people are *still* buying into this garbage. It's unbelievable.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

UK being put in their place is always good to see.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

No mention of SimpLord69? Not a well researched article.

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Man people lost lots of money over this. Some spend more than they could afford, because "it is a safe bet" ... and now some sort of cult formed around it and people are *still* buying into this garbage. It's unbelievable.

I think those guys just like the stock.

💎🤚

$GME 🚀🚀🚀🌑🌑

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Will have to keep an eye out for some entertaining losses (i.e. ones where they don't kill themselves or something). 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now we wait for the conspiracy theory that it was all secretly edged on by Wall Street entities in an attempt to cause the moderators of WallStreetBets to implode in just such a way.....

NmSY9U.gif

• Haha 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

24 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Now we wait for the conspiracy theory that it was all secretly edged on by Wall Street entities in an attempt to cause the moderators of WallStreetBets to implode in just such a way.....

NmSY9U.gif

Well, pretty sure a lot of the WSB members are Wall Street folk.  Would explain all the jokes about "retards" and "autists", etc. - being tryhard edgelords 😛

Doesn't this just f----g figure? Bitcoin Tops $48,000 for the First Time

Oh well...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Survey shows average gamer is a full-time professional father of three

so if you ever feel guilty about wasting time playing video games don’t.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

In case @ShadySandsever wins the lottery and is wondering what to do with all that money:

• Like 5

Thomas Sowell

I'd love to log into a Teams meeting while sitting in a Captains chair on the Enterprise bridge set.  It'd be epic.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Pentagon admits it has been testing wreckage from UFO crashes & findings may ‘change our lives forever,’ expert says

OK, this is not the NY Times. But still, a news piece like this you'd figure would make a bigger splash. Especially since there are a heck of a lot of them coming from credible new sources  over the last two years. Now, I am pre-disposed to be skeptical of this kind of them. But still...

I think most folks would refuse to believe in aliens even if Joe Biden introduced one at the next Press Briefing. 

Thomas Sowell

I think this is false. Even ufologists have stated so. Somebody requested information about crashed UFOs and got an answer but there was nothing specific about UFOs, I think.

After my disappointment with the recent X-Files episodes, I started following UFO related news (it's basically the same mythology, they put the same things in the X Files, like human-alien hybrids, secret planes, etc). This "disclosure" is quite a mess. They say the government was forced to acknowledge UFOs exists after those videos were leaked, but that makes no sense. The videos were low quality and have been debunked. The Pentagon could simply say they were drones and nobody would question it, except the people who already believed in UFOs.

So it seems the government wanted to announce this and so have more people believing in this. Maybe to disguise secret airplanes?

But then why do something so elaborated, with pilots claiming to have seen objects that are essentially warping space and now even senators are talking openly about it?

And the funniest part is that the majority of the public continues to not care at all. lol

It reminds me of something I read in Blindsight, a sci-fi book about first contact:

Once there were three tribes. The Optimists, whose patron saints were Drake and Sagan, believed in a universe crawling with gentle intelligence — spiritual brethren vaster and more enlightened than we, a great galactic siblinghood into whose ranks we would someday ascend. Surely, said the Optimists, space travel implies enlightenment, for it requires the control of great destructive energies. Any race which can't rise above its own brutal instincts will wipe itself out long before it learns to bridge the interstellar gulf.

Across from the Optimists sat the Pessimists, who genuflected before graven images of Saint Fermi and a host of lesser lightweights. The Pessimists envisioned a lonely universe full of dead rocks and prokaryotic slime. The odds are just too low, they insisted. Too many rogues, too much radiation, too much eccentricity in too many orbits. It is a surpassing miracle that even one Earth exists; to hope for many is to abandon reason and embrace religious mania. After all, the universe is fourteen billion years old: if the galaxy were alive with intelligence, wouldn't it be here by now?

Equidistant to the other two tribes sat the Historians. They didn't have too many thoughts on the probable prevalence of intelligent, spacefaring extraterrestrials — but if there are any, they said, they're not just going to be smart. They're going to be mean. It might seem almost too obvious a conclusion. What is Human history, if not an on going succession of greater technologies grinding lesser ones beneath their boots?

And so, inevitably, a fourth Tribe arose, a Heavenly host that triumphed over all: the Tribe that Just Didn't Give A Sh*t.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I mean, I guess it all comes down to how much these things would affect you. I probably wouldn't care all too much either, except for the initial "huh, oh wow." Then live goes on, because I am hungry and have to pay rent.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."