Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

9 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

For me, I really need a time period with decent plumbing and toilet paper. Also, antibiotics are nice.

Antibiotics have saved my life twice so far. Literally. Pretty good invention if you ask me. Toilet paper... more of a nice to have thing ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

47 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I want to be born 100 years from now. My primo cyborg body, with adjustable dong, would no longer be a slave to the ravages of time/illness/disease and I could explore the cosmos.

LOL that’s a far more optimistic vision of the future than one I would come up with!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

54 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I want to be born 100 years from now. My primo cyborg body, with adjustable dong, would no longer be a slave to the ravages of time/illness/disease and I could explore the cosmos.

C'mon, it's 2020. When we were in the 80's we were told by now we'd have solved most world hunger issues and be ensconced in flying cars.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

Antibiotics have saved my life twice so far. Literally. Pretty good invention if you ask me. Toilet paper... more of a nice to have thing ;)

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I'd never have made it past my teen years without them. They've been essential on a couple of occasions since then. I can probably say the same thing about vaccines, but it's harder to say what you avoided than what you recovered from.

Personally I'm not sure why you'd want to live in the past; things get steadily worse the further back you go. I'm more interested in what the future will bring.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

26 minutes ago, Raithe said:

C'mon, it's 2020. When we were in the 80's we were told by now we'd have solved most world hunger issues and be ensconced in flying cars.

I just want to be a slightly less villainous version of Ultron, is that really asking too much? I might even let humanity live. :p 

37 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I just want to be a slightly less villainous version of Ultron, is that really asking too much? I might even let humanity live. :p 

All_4_One_-_Clank.png

That's what I'm picturing.

• Like 2

december 29, 1890

20 medals of honor awarded to us soldiers for the killing in the snow. less than 500 us soldiers. as many as 300 dead indigenous people.

by comparison, o' the 70,000 us marines who fought on iwo jima, 27 were awarded medals of honor.

Wounded Knee: Healing the Wounds of the Past

"I did not know then how much was ended. When I look back now from this high hill of my old age, I can still see the butchered women and children lying heaped and scattered all along the crooked gulch as plain as when I saw them with eyes still young. And I can see that something else died there in the bloody mud, and was buried in the blizzard. A people's dream died there. It was a beautiful dream..." --black elk

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

January 1st is Public Domain Day in the U.S.

On January 1, 2021, copyrighted works from 1925 will enter the US public domain,1 where they will be free for all to use and build upon. These works include books such as F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, Ernest Hemingway’s In Our Time, and Franz Kafka’s The Trial (in the original German), silent films featuring Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton, and music ranging from the jazz standard Sweet Georgia Brown to songs by Gertrude “Ma” Rainey, W.C. Handy, and Fats Waller.

Hurray! 😎 Disney only managed to screw us over for a couple of decades.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

https://djharper.dev/post/2020/12/26/executable-pngs/

A few weeks ago I was reading about PICO-8, a fantasy games console with limited constraints. What really piqued my interest about it was the novel way games are distributed, you encode them into a PNG image. This includes the game code, assets, everything. The image can be whatever you want, screenshots from the game, cool artwork or just text. To load them you pass the image as input to the PICO-8 program and start playing.

This got me thinking, wouldn’t it be cool if you could do that for programs on Linux? No! I hear you cry, that’s a dumb idea, but whatever, herein lies an overview of possibly the dumbest things I’ve worked on this year.

Edited by Raithe

On 12/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, Zoraptor said:

Perhaps most indicative is that the 10 year MS veteran didn't mention that MS was involved in the hack distribution too. To use Star Wars parlance Imperial Shuttles had been distributing rebel strike teams all across the Empire for six months. Something something older code but it checked out. Reads pretty much entirely like corporate damage control.

Quoting myself, but unsurprisingly it turns out Microsoft itself was directly hacked via Solarwinds as well. About as unsurprising as them releasing the news on... New Year's Eve, where it would obviously garner a lot of attention and dominate the news cycle.

At the moment they're claiming that the hackers could 'only' do read only stuff like, er, download source code etc, so no biggie. As the NPR article points out, there's an awful lot of nefarious stuff you can do without being able to write to a system.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/07/the-rise-and-fall-of-adobe-flash/?

Few technologies have yielded such divisive and widespread passion as Flash. Many gush over its versatility and ease of use as a creative platform or its critical role in the rise of web video. Others abhor Flash-based advertising and Web design, or they despise the resource-intensiveness of the Flash Player plugin in its later years.

Whichever side of the love-hate divide you land on, there's no denying the fact that Flash changed how we consume, create, and interact with content on the Web. For better and worse, it helped shape the Internet of today.

But now, after roughly 25 years, Flash is finally nearing its end. In less than six months—December 2020—Adobe will officially end support and distribution of Flash Player, the browser plugin we all associate most strongly with the technology. And already, months ahead of this end-of-life switch, Flash has been disabled in most Web browsers (often flagged as a security risk should you choose to override the default settings). Even Google Chrome, long the browser of choice for Flash content, will soon remove Flash Player.

Edited by Raithe

https://themindcircle.com/french-spent-20-years-building-new-medieval-castle-looks-great/

building-13th-century-guedelon-castle-fr

Fortunately, there is a building project going on in Burgundy, France where groups of researchers and volunteers have come together to build a new medieval castle called “Guedelon Castle.”

Since 1997, this project has been taking place. The workers are only using medieval materials and techniques to build the castle so that it is as authentic as possible.

Maryline Martin and Michel Guyot are the ones who started this project. Now, they have given jobs to more than 55 people.
Not only that, but the site also brings over 300,000 people per year to witness the project firsthand. The expected completion date of the medieval castle is in the early 2020s, projected to be 2023.

• Like 2