Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

16 hours ago, Gorth said:

From the random category... there's a special atmosphere when Pacific nations play rugby against each other

I like Tonga's.

Nice version done by their marines

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/navycon-2020-a-tickets-125821115343

This conference will showcase presenters speaking on naval issues and great power competition past, present, and future--all through the lens of science fiction! From Star Wars and Ender's Game to Warhammer 40k, the Lensman series, the cyberpunk canon, and beyond,

Is propaganda-ish, but might be interesting.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The main rotor retaining nut in helicopters is often called the "Jesus nut." Because if it were to fail in flight, the only thing left for you to do is "pray to Jesus."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-new-york-public-librarys-last-secret-apartments?

There used to be parties in the apartments on the top floors of New York City’s branch libraries. On other nights, when the libraries were closed, the kids who lived there might sit reading alone among the books or roll around on the wooden library carts—if they weren’t dusting the shelves or shoveling coal. Their hopscotch courts were on the roof. A cat might sneak down the stairs to investigate the library patrons.
When these libraries were built, about a century ago, they needed people to take care of them. Andrew Carnegie had given New York $5.2 million, worth well over $100 million today, to create a city-wide system of library branches, and these buildings, the Carnegie libraries, were heated by coal. Each had a custodian, who was tasked with keeping those fires burning and who lived in the library, often with his family. “The family mantra was: Don’t let that furnace go out,” one woman who grew up in a library told the New York Times.
But since the ’70s and ’80s, when the coal furnaces started being upgraded and library custodians began retiring, those apartments have been emptying out, and the idyll of living in a library has disappeared. Many of the apartments have vanished, too, absorbed back into the buildings through renovations for more modern uses. Today there are just 13 library apartments left in the New York Public Library system.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Decided to check how I am doing weight wise.

Got on a scale.

Was shocked I had put on so much weight.

Took off my backpack.

Fastest, best diet ever.

All that excess weight gone in 1 second.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

124041375_3435522616484027_4704172377921

Born in Austria in 1914, the mathematically talented Lamarr moved to the US in 1937 to start a Hollywood career. Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, she was considered one of cinema's leading ladies and made numerous films; however, her passion for engineering is far less known today. Her interest in inventing was such that she set up an engineering room in her house complete with a drafting table and wall of engineering reference books. With the outbreak of World War II, Lamarr wanted to apply her skills to helping the war effort and, motivated by reports of German U-boats sinking ships in the Atlantic, she began investigating ways to improve torpedo technology.

After Lamar met composer George Antheil, who had been experimenting with automated control of musical instruments, together they hit on the idea of "frequency hopping." At the time, radio-controlled torpedoes could easily be detected and jammed by broadcasting interference at the frequency of the control signal, thereby causing the torpedo to go off course. Frequency hopping essentially served to encrypt the control signal because it was impossible for a target to scan and jam all of the frequencies.

Lamarr and Antheil were granted a patent for their invention on August 11, 1942, but the US Navy wasn't interested in applying their groundbreaking technology until twenty years later when it was used on military ships during a blockade of Cuba in 1962. Lamarr and Antheil's frequency-hopping concept serves as a basis for the spread-spectrum communication technology used in GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices. Unfortunately, Lamarr's part in its development has been largely overlooked and her efforts weren't recognized until 1997, when the Electronic Frontier Foundation gave her an award for her technological contributions. Hedy Lamarr passed away in 2000 at the age of 85 and, in 2014, she was as long last inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame for her invention of a "Secret Communication System" many years ago.

• Like 5

• Gasp! 1

Yep, major scandal here. Not only were there a bunch of fraudulent votes for the Little Spotted Kiwi but the eventual winner's* representative and spokesbird is a well known sex pest.

"When you're a Kakapo they just let you do it. You can do anything. Grab em by the head". So much less class than the Hoiho whose only real blemish over their rule was invading a Fish & Chip shop looking for a feed. And even that was disputed as fake news and it may have been blue penguins instead.

*Not great quality in the rest of the options either. Of the other top 5 Albatross/ Toroa aren't even proper NZers and spend most of their time away just flying in for the election campaign, Black Robins are all inbred yokels, Karearea (NZ falcons) are pretty cool but a bit aloof, Kereru are fat lazy drunks. Also, if you know anything about Kakapo the "OK, Boomer" headline is hilarious (the males make a distinctive 'boom' noise to attract mates which carries absolute miles).

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Sorry to hear that. :(

Have you tried telling them the election isn't over? Seems to be working for Trump.

I worked in data entry. Its the talk of a national lockdown that is the final straw that broke the industry. Needless to say, I didn't vote Biden.

2 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

I worked in data entry. Its the talk of a national lockdown that is the final straw that broke the industry. Needless to say, I didn't vote Biden.

That's a shame, since it is very unlikely we go into a national lockdown.

49 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

That's a shame, since it is very unlikely we go into a national lockdown.

I know which is why it's so frustrating. The same thing might've happened if Trump won but it was just the talk of a national lockdown that finally scared my bosses into furloughing everyone in production.

• Sad 2

Surprised they let it deteriorate like that.