Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

Heh. looking at the picture in the thread link. the Australian summer of bush fires lasted just up to the point where covid struck. Now I'm waiting for that giant, radioactive lizard (thank you Fukushima) to wade out of the water up there around Cairns and start its stomping march down the East Coast....

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The thread title makes me want to punch fur seal pups.

SpaceX crushes rocket engine world record during Raptor test.

Sort of impressive the Saturn V still holds the record for most powerful rocket (guess it makes sense as it is also the largest)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Sort of impressive the Saturn V still holds the record for most powerful rocket (guess it makes sense as it is also the largest)

the thing which we find most interesting is how the basic technology o' rocket science hasn't changed at a fundamental level since late 19th century. refrigeration capable o' liquifying gasses occurred in the late 1800s and the thermoflask (which were invented by either james dewar in 1892, or possible a bit earlier by a french guy with a name we forget) to store those liquid gases for extended periods o' time, is what made it possible for three guys (russian, german and american, if your nationalism button needs a push) to independent and almost simultaneous invent "modern" rockets. honestly, other than size and efficiency, the core technologies o' multi-stage rockets have been little changed since the 1920s.

we tend to think o' rockets capable o' breaking earth orbit as cutting edge tech, and on the micro level they are just that-- pinnacle o' what human ingenuity may accomplish. however, unlike computers and medicine and so many other human endeavours, little has changed 'bout rocket propulsion since the early 1900s. 

oh, and the physics which makes space trips to the moon and mars possible ain't the kinda wacky mind bending stuff o' lorentz, einstein and heisenberg (which curious is kinda where physics also plateaued) but the more basic newtonian math many o' us were exposed to in high school classes.

"I think Isaac Newton is doing most of the driving right now."-- bill anders, apollo 8.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
ps spelling fail

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 hours ago, Raithe said:

They came from the cold void, the space between the galaxies.... the Tyanids! Tardigrades!

Hive-Fleet-Leviathan.jpg

• Gasp! 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well she wasn't entirely right when she said I'm probably wondering why I clicked on the video. The title was odd enough. I really just wonder what made me watch the entire thing. That was mesmerizing, and I'm not really into woodworking.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

50 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Well, they used to be made of "whalebone" so why not wood.

They were sometimes made of wood too, just not... solid wood 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh the juggle of putting it under politics or funny things... Let's settle and just call it Weird..

• Haha 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

Oh the juggle of putting it under politics or funny things... Let's settle and just call it Weird..

Shame he didn't hit his femoral artery.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Where is the hammer for the six shooter in the middle picture? Must be internal, and double action?

You're correct I think as it looks like a Ruger LCR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LCR

• Like 1

That's a Darwin award, right there

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

27 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

That's a Darwin award, right there

If I remember correctly there was one like that already. Guy allegedly used rifle ammo to replace a blown fuse in his truck that properly went off and shot his scrotum to kingdom come. Notable as one of the few Darwin awards where the laureate survived. The condition is taking themselves out of the gene pool and that can be done without dying, after all. :)

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

12 hours ago, majestic said:

If I remember correctly there was one like that already. Guy allegedly used rifle ammo to replace a blown fuse in his truck that properly went off and shot his scrotum to kingdom come. Notable as one of the few Darwin awards where the laureate survived. The condition is taking themselves out of the gene pool and that can be done without dying, after all. :)

Correct. So, shooting your balls off qualifies you for the award too :)