Base building has to be one of the funnest aspects of Grounded. That being said, a major Improvement could be added to the game. I really wish the developers would allow us to build the walls into the environment. I can't tell you how many times the game has prevented me from adding a floor piece, a diagonal corner piece, or a set of stairs just because it starts to merge into either the ground or one of the logs that I'm building my base on top of over by the Great Oak Tree. The invisible wall of the environmental structures should not impede my ability to snap a base building part to another part just because it starts to merge in with the environment. Just like how I can build a wall or a floor piece in the woods and the grass has no effect on whether or not I'm able to build. Technically I can have grass growing up right through the middle of my floor. The environment should not restrict my ability to have fun building my base.

Some modders are currently looking into the possibility of outright disabling this restriction (A common mod/setting for just about any survival game), but I agree that the option should be supported by the devs. Especially since there is no PvP and it doesn't seem like PvP is going to be on the roadmap either. Double especially since you can already break the system and bypass these restrictions & support requirements anyway.

the environment definitely should restrict how/where you build your base.  cut the grass down, i mean seriously? it's grass, 3 hits with the insect axe and it's gone.  rocks, roots, and fence posts and such should also block you from building into them.  I don't think it needs to be changed, and don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you need to learn better placement for your construction.  

What i think should happen is the floor should form around the post or rock at a reduced material cost, 2 or 3 planks instead of 4, depending how far into the environment it goes.  then the graphic for that floor piece should show the floor cut and shaped around the object if they're goin to make any change for this.

Xbox One X

14 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

What i think should happen is the floor should form around the post or rock at a reduced material cost, 2 or 3 planks instead of 4, depending how far into the environment it goes.  then the graphic for that floor piece should show the floor cut and shaped around the object if they're goin to make any change for this.

That's a LOT of effort (on the devs part) when a simple toggle to be used at the host's discretion would suffice. Almost every sandbox survival has these options accessible in one form or another.

They should provide it in Grounded as well.

Edited by Narikai

1 hour ago, Narikai said:

Almost every sandbox survival has these options accessible in one form or another.

They should provide it in Grounded as well.

I don't recall Ark or Stranded Deep allowing you build into the existing terrain.  I don't think Grounded should either.  or am i totally misunderstanding what's wanted here?

Xbox One X

1 hour ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I don't recall Ark or Stranded Deep allowing you build into the existing terrain.  I don't think Grounded should either.  or am i totally misunderstanding what's wanted here?

Ark doesn't conform structures to terrain but does allow clipping base structures into terrain and so does grounded to a point.  it would be nice to build defensive walls around my base without having to worry about openings cause i couldn't clip my wall into a cliff or stone.

Also another thing that would improve base building is preventing natural resources like grass from spawning to close to player made structures.  Getting real tired of removing grass that grew through the floor of my base.

8 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

Idk about Stranded Deep but Ark certainly has the option. bDisableStructurePlacementCollision=true. 

There's nothing wrong with providing the players with the options to play how they want to play. (Especially when PvP isn't a thing.) Adding a similar toggle to Grounded hurts nobody and helps people like OP.

• 2 years later...