My home base is located on top of, and surrounding the juice box by the koi pond in the rose garden. I'm on a multiplayer server, but almost always am playing solo unless a friend joins in. System is Xbox One X. I'm on day 138 and quite frequently every few days I have to go to all the garden lights near my base and the water sprinkler by the birdbath and kill swarms of gnats because if you walk anywhere near there, the game starts lagging and sputters, freezing for 5 seconds at a time until you reduce the amount of gnats in game. I usually have to shoot a poison arrow and just wait for them to drop. Great for getting food, bad for gameplay every few days.

The same can be said about the ants, the soldiers keep respawning in the nest at unnatural levels and the game sputters and freezes when I get nearby the nest until I make my way inside (slowly and laggy) and kill them all. Ironically I wasn't having the ant problem, until I freed them from the rock by the koi pond that they keep getting stuck in among the community. After I killed all the ants in the koi pond rocks, they all respond in the nest and overpopulation ensued.

TL/DR anyone else experiencing a lag from overpopulation of gnats and ants? It has become game crippling for me If I go too close to their spawn locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

My base is in the exact same place I have the same issue I currently created the automated ant control system A.A.C.S basically I have set 10 to 12 lure traps surrounded by spike traps and covered the entrance with traps the idea is to offset there spawn rate by the trap death rate seems to have somewhat stabilized my game I use gas arrows on the gnats they drop in a few seconds I hope this is helpful until they have a fix. I am on day 321 second world I ever started I don't intend to leave it anyone with questions or needing other tips or so can message me repeatrepeater just like here. Thanks obsisian for the best game ever!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Repeatrepeater said:

My base is in the exact same place I have the same issue I currently created the automated ant control system A.A.C.S basically I have set 10 to 12 lure traps surrounded by spike traps and covered the entrance with traps the idea is to offset there spawn rate by the trap death rate seems to have somewhat stabilized my game I use gas arrows on the gnats they drop in a few seconds I hope this is helpful until they have a fix. I am on day 321 second world I ever started I don't intend to leave it anyone with questions or needing other tips or so can message me repeatrepeater just like here. Thanks obsisian for the best game ever!!!!!!

Lure trap with spikes next to the ant hill.... That is a brilliant idea, I didn't think of that!! Perfect.  I'll have to build that post haste.

As for the gnats I was also using poison arrows, I just shoot one or two at the garden lights every few days and then I have enough food to last a month  😅 I have like 12 beef jerky stands on top of the juice box roof that is my base and every few days I filll them all up with gnats. And then I just put all the overflow food in a chest up there since the ants can't get on top of the juice box cuz it's too high for them to smell it.

Well recently I haven't had any problem with the gnats, it was just the ants now. I think the last update actually either fixed or broke the gnat spawn times cuz I haven't seen any around the rose garden lately

5 hours ago, Repeatrepeater said:

anyone with questions or needing other tips or so can message me repeatrepeater

If you're on Xbox, feel free to add me. Gt is Silent Ninja JG ☺️ Might be interested to see my base, I'm interested in seeing yours and getting more hints and tips since you've been playing longer

Made an outpost on the logs in that area, the knats are a nightmare. There should at least be some kind of torch you can light with bug off, lol. Cuz Everytime I go over there (built a bridge from it to the top of the wall to the berry bush/bird bath so I go there a lot) and just like with the ants not only is the amount annoying, but the lag is rediculous.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:52 PM, SilentNinjaJG said:

My home base is located on top of, and surrounding the juice box by the koi pond in the rose garden. I'm on a multiplayer server, but almost always am playing solo unless a friend joins in. System is Xbox One X. I'm on day 138 and quite frequently every few days I have to go to all the garden lights near my base and the water sprinkler by the birdbath and kill swarms of gnats because if you walk anywhere near there, the game starts lagging and sputters, freezing for 5 seconds at a time until you reduce the amount of gnats in game. I usually have to shoot a poison arrow and just wait for them to drop. Great for getting food, bad for gameplay every few days.

The same can be said about the ants, the soldiers keep respawning in the nest at unnatural levels and the game sputters and freezes when I get nearby the nest until I make my way inside (slowly and laggy) and kill them all. Ironically I wasn't having the ant problem, until I freed them from the rock by the koi pond that they keep getting stuck in among the community. After I killed all the ants in the koi pond rocks, they all respond in the nest and overpopulation ensued.

TL/DR anyone else experiencing a lag from overpopulation of gnats and ants? It has become game crippling for me If I go too close to their spawn locations.

So much of this, yes! The game becomes unplayable at the Ant Hill and the Light where the gnats are. The person I am playing with constantly gets booted if I get to close when hosting. It's awful! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Fletch Dude said:

I actually have a little meat storage place by that lamp. 1 gas arrow cleans em out. I have 6 Jerky racks that are always full. 

I have the same. As said in OP, my base is on the juice box by the tree, so I go over to the light every other night, gas arrow the light twice, and reap the food rewards. The whole juice box is covered with 8 jerky stands. Just like you I fill em up, food is no issue.

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2020 at 2:52 AM, SilentNinjaJG said:

I have a similar issue except I cant fix it, I used the spawning debug- lured 3 or 4 stink bugs to the red ant hill, and nothing stopped the insane spawn rate, So like an idiot I went down and thought I could clear it out but lured the huge horde outside back inside and got destroyed by two hoarders of ants im guessing worker spawns are double if not triple and solider ants are defo way more then norm