Okay, I know that I am in the minority here but please do not add a taming mechanic! The game is wonderful and difficult without it and bugs wouldn't have the mental capacity to tame anyway. I feel like other games (mainly Ark) made their games WAY too easy by adding taming. Sure its cool but the adrenaline of being down on the ground looking out for giant things trying to eat you is really what makes this game awesome with the exploration. 

If taming is something that IS going to be in the game please introduce a new difficulty or game mode where it is not OR refrain from giving the bugs mounts.

Better yet more complete server settings for hosts would make this a non-issue for those of us who like a challenge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taming could be a thing for the players only going solo. I know I could use some back up in some of the fights. 

But I could imagine there would be a lot of dev problems having a large tame insect following you around, trampling your stuff and path finding. 

How about a smoothie or chem bomb that makes insects in the area attack each other.  

I hope there are really tough boss opponents where you have to tame the animals to defeat them.

Without taming, I know players who wouldn't touch this game (myself included).

I've already spent over 90 hours in the game and like to play it just without doing anything, you just have a better minecraft
 = (
My mud hut consists of over 10 floors and is 9x14 next to it is a grass tower with 20 floors ... I'm running out of ideas.
 With taming you could try to get all the animals and thereby enlarge your base in order to park everyone 
in it.
Edited by Berinda1986

I'd like to see taming in partial form personally, but only have it applicable to pet type creatures. Having a pet Aphid/Weevil chilling at home, in some sort of dog house would be really cool.
It could be attached to whatever structure needs to be built to house it and unable to roam too far away from it so that it stays within your base. 

I don't like the idea of combat tames as, like you said, it's easy to lose scale of threat and exploration if you have a mountable spider or something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ironthumbs said:

I'd like to see taming in partial form personally, but only have it applicable to pet type creatures. Having a pet Aphid/Weevil chilling at home, in some sort of dog house would be really cool.
It could be attached to whatever structure needs to be built to house it and unable to roam too far away from it so that it stays within your base. 

I don't like the idea of combat tames as, like you said, it's easy to lose scale of threat and exploration if you have a mountable spider or something.

I could get behind a partial taming system as long as there is no mounting. Instead of mounts, if you want to supplement travel for instance,  give us a grapple hook that attaches to certain flyers that have a predictable path (ex: bees that go from flower to nest) or a slingshot/catapult for us to set up at various places to use with gliders. Maybe even 2 tier (berry leather, and weed stems?) and 3 tier (bee/mosquito wings, with other components) gliders.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, David Briggs said:

I could get behind a partial taming system as long as there is no mounting. Instead of mounts, if you want to supplement travel for instance,  give us a grapple hook that attaches to certain flyers that have a predictable path (ex: bees that go from flower to nest) or a slingshot/catapult for us to set up at various places to use with gliders. Maybe even 2 tier (berry leather, and weed stems?) and 3 tier (bee/mosquito wings, with other components) gliders.

Catapult idea sounds pretty cool.

You missed some easy internet points though by not suggesting a trebuchet.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, David Briggs said:

Okay, I know that I am in the minority here but please do not add a taming mechanic! The game is wonderful and difficult without it and bugs wouldn't have the mental capacity to tame anyway. I feel like other games (mainly Ark) made their games WAY too easy by adding taming. Sure its cool but the adrenaline of being down on the ground looking out for giant things trying to eat you is really what makes this game awesome with the exploration. 

If taming is something that IS going to be in the game please introduce a new difficulty or game mode where it is not OR refrain from giving the bugs mounts.

Better yet more complete server settings for hosts would make this a non-issue for those of us who like a challenge.

I agree.  If you want taming you should play Ark. :)  OR in the future, the devs could add a different mode to the game and/or storyline.  I prefer the realism of the game as it is now depicting everything as if we were part of a mad scientist experiment gone wrong and to explore and figure out 5W's.

• Like 1

Taming in the ARK sense of the word would have its pros & cons.  Mounting a spider just seems silly to me though. Personally I'd like to see something more immersive based on their reactive environment approach to AI. If I attack an Ant it will remember me and the hive will retaliate, if I feed an Ant it will eventually come back for more. Why not just build on that?

E.G: Keep feeding "tames" things they like, ants->food bees->pollen, and build a reputation eventually they'll come bearing gifts, or follow you around and carry grass/weeds. Assist you in battle. Possibly learn a few commands (Follow/Stay/Attack/Mount/Etc.)

Edited by Narikai
Elaborate/Typos

ok I would love a pet Aphid .... they're just too damn adorable

but I see no point in a mount, unless they open up the whole damn neighborhood
if we're suddenly dealing with 3-4 square blocks .... THEN I'm ok with an Ant mount
spiders are not tamable creatures ... period ....
same with the Larva, Bombardier Bugs, Stink Bugs ... they are not tamable

Aphids are tamable
ants in the Amazon are known to keep Aphid Ranches ... 

• Like 1

I think having a pet could be cool, like a caged aphid for honeydew harvesting. Granted you would have to feed the aphid to get the dew so honeydew would need more of a use but it would be a cute idea. or Gnats on strings like balloons! 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, Narikai said:

If I attack an Ant it will remember me and the hive will retaliate, if I feed an Ant it will eventually come back for more. Why not just build on that?

happens already, if you attack a worker ant and it runs it brings back more workers and a soldier or 3.

• Like 1

Xbox One X

18 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

happens already, if you attack a worker ant and it runs it brings back more workers and a soldier or 3.

Yep, the foundation already exists and I was suggesting that it could be expanded upon to include tamed-like behaviors for more than just ants.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:15 PM, David Briggs said:

I personaly feel like taming would be a great addition but as long as is in a kind of symbiotic relationship. for example lets say a spider, you can tame it, ride it, and fight with it but you must give it shelter, food, and other necesities. the better you treat it the better it will become, but if you dont treat it properly then it will turn on you and try to murder you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, megatamerr said:

I personaly feel like taming would be a great addition but as long as is in a kind of symbiotic relationship. for example lets say a spider, you can tame it, ride it, and fight with it but you must give it shelter, food, and other necesities. the better you treat it the better it will become, but if you dont treat it properly then it will turn on you and try to murder you. 

definitely not a spider.  that'd be like using cheats to tame the alpha's in Ark.

bugs in life and in the game aren't animals with a memory and person/object acknowledgement.  they have no mental capacity.  they run totally off instinct passed on by previous generations, that's how they know aphids are food and spiders are enemies and whatnot.  You put a new creature they've never seen before in their environment and instinct takes over, fight or flight if they're threatened, ignorance if not.  They're not like dogs or cats, etc. that can remember you by your smell and looks.  

• Thanks 1

Xbox One X

6 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

bugs in life and in the game aren't animals with a memory and person/object acknowledgement.  they have no mental capacity. 

The ants and spiders in-game do though. Ants remember you based on your actions and wolf spiders actively hunt your base.

If games mimic real life to closely they're not fun. The entire point of gamification in game design is to remove the mundane/difficulty out of real life to create something more engaging. The "Reactive Environment" would be pretty dull if the AI only react based on the concepts of instinct and self preservation imo.

10 minutes ago, Narikai said:

The ants and spiders in-game do though. Ants remember you based on your actions and wolf spiders actively hunt your base.

If games mimic real life to closely they're not fun. The entire point of gamification in game design is to remove the mundane/difficulty out of real life to create something more engaging. The "Reactive Environment" would be pretty dull if the AI only react based on the concepts of instinct and self preservation imo.

i get that,  i agree it shouldn't be a sim type enviro, but i don't want it to be Ark Survival: Grounded either.  What drew me to the game is the shrunken aspect, i've wanted a game like this for decdes since the movie came out and the kids had to survive in the yard.  That and the minimalistic basics we have.  I don't want to see it get to techie like ark, building machine guns and bug based turrets.  

I'd rather see a carrot on a stick type concept like riding pigs in minecraft.  Pigs can't be tamed, but they can be used to ride.  If Obsidian could do this concept for pack muling also to carry supplies.  i think it'd be a win win.

• Like 2

Xbox One X

3 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I'd rather see a carrot on a stick type concept like riding pigs in minecraft.  Pigs can't be tamed, but they can be used to ride.

Good analogy.

We don't need an ARK-like taming system to give aphids/ants/bees/water striders utility when a simple stick and carrot would suffice. Combine that with AI behaviors/reactions and you could do a lot, with very little, to achieve the sense of taming something. Even if it's only temporary.

I have a feeling things are going to get a little techie though given the story. Probably not like ARK what with bombardiers as turrets but like actual tech. Resources and recipes hint toward things going in that direction.