Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dungeons & Dragons online

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Loriahnell

Loriahnell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 148 posts
have you seen the video for the game ? it looks damn nice... i'm not a very big fan of MMO games .. maybe they should make the game and just call it D&D so that ppl who arent fans of D&D will buy it and think man.. nice !

LETS BUY MORE D&D STUFF !! ( and slowly become losers ) haha

boxy

boxy

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts

Dungeons and Dragons have always been about the DM and a small group of friends gaming around a table running through a campaing.  In previous SP DND games they made up for this in trying to make an interesting intricate campaign/story for the player.  I don't see that happening in DnD online.

All I see is another level mill charging a monthly fee.  Boring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I can't help but be curious with the whole thing, but there's little to no chance I'd get it.

I'm not a huge of fan of NWN, either. I'd prefer an upgraded, isometric BG-type game any day over a game like NWN.

Langky

Langky

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 379 posts

Mmorpg's are 'ok' aslong as they are really really good.
Like world of warcraft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They need to be in order to justify the monthly charge. Hopefully WOW will set a standard that will become the norm.

Aaron Contreras

Aaron Contreras

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 131 posts
The D20 system just isn't going to translate well into a MMORPG.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
It doesn't translate well into computer games, period. Yet, people still try in vain.

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts

If the monthly fee is a problem then you should consider the maths.  A new game costs around $90.  If you buy 2 or 3 in a year thats $180-$270.  An mmo costs around $50 plus $15 pm.  If you play the mmo for a year then the cost is $215 (11mths subscription plus the cost of the game).

I think that most people who say pay as you play is a ripp off and yet who buy several new games in any given year, haven't really thought about it and should reconsider their position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iíve tried it, thought about it and donít plan on changing my mind. $40-$50 per game, and $60 if itís Doom3 around here. And if you shop on the web youíll find it usually discounted up to %20 off. Also, I wait on a lot of games, like I just bought Unreal2 for $6.00. I waited until Warcraft Battlechest came out so I got two games and two hints books for $40.00. I think Iím more around the $150 mark for the year. Plus I get more variety for a cheaper price.

Karik

Karik

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
i've been following DDO for a while now and at first it seemed promising but now it just seems as though they've ruined the game. From what the devs have posted it really looks like the game barely uses the D20 ruleset. Also, play of Monks and Druids is restricted, as is PvP (for those who are interested), and no word has been issued yet on whether half-orcs will be playable or if alignments will be implemented. If you want to join a mindless level grind, play DDO, but i'm sure for most of us NWN2 is the best option.

Vishus

Vishus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
Could game companies ever afford to have a free MMORPG? The creators of Guild Wars have never explained how they were able to have it for free. The company themselves charge you because they're providing a service and they have to get some money out of it.

Bioware is doing the same thing.

http://store.bioware.com/

Obviously there are free modules because players who create them don't charge.

MMORPGs are like living this fantasy character's life alternate to yours. So there isn't this whole epic story. Whats the point? Whats the point of even bothering to live? Well its fun because you are roleplaying a character you created. There doesn't have to be this epic story.

But really a lot of you guys are just the wrong audience or being a NWN fanboy. MMORPGs don't suck.

omnimutant

omnimutant

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Dungeons & Dragons online, did anyone already hear about this ?

Unfortunatly yes. It seems too many people figured out that if you throw a Star Wars or D&D tag on somthing it will sell through the roof no matter how bad it is. :)

steelfiredragon

steelfiredragon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1177 posts

I just don't give a crap about DnD Online.  Its a MMORPG therefore ignorable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users