Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dungeons & Dragons online

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Andric

Andric

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
overall it looks interesting - and from what I have read it doesn't look like it will impact on NWN as its a very diferent type of game.

MMO games aren't for everyone but have their place. This isn't going to be so MM as such it seems as each server will have low numbers of players - few 100 as opposed to teh 1000's per server in most games.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm curious how they will cater to 3.5 rules in a real-time setting.

Andric

Andric

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

I applaud MMORPGs for taking money from the excess amount of yuppies out there. Money should not be in the hands of the stupid, they're dangerous enough as it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats is both ignorant and incorrect.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't know any yuppies who play MMO's. When I was down in San Diego, I had a lot of friends who worked tech support for Evercrack, and they told me stories all the time. It seemed that 15-25 seemed to be the main age range for MMO players.

Moose

Moose

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
Depends on your definition of yuppie. Mine is a young person with a well paid job and a rich life style. The sort of person, hell the only person that purchases an account off ebay for 2000 us dollars, just so they can play a high level character for a couple of weeks. God bless mmorpgs for helping us redistribute the wealth, these people have obviously got too much money in the first place.

thats is both ignorant and incorrect.

Haha :lol:

KingHarbromm

KingHarbromm

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
Well, my Gamespot video shows the creator talking about the game. He says that one of the "cool" things they added was a more action feel. For example, you have to click to attack "a la, Diablo games" and special attacks are done by timing your clicking right.

I'm guessing that means if you want to use your Fighter's four attacks in a round, you better be a good clicker. Or maybe its to use feats like Whirlwind Attack. He didn't elaborate.

Any "D&D" game that requires me to click a certain way for a CHANCE at using my abilities is not one I'll buy.

I don't even know why it got a D&D license if it's going to be like that. Of course, I don't know how you could call Dark Alliance-esque games D&D related, either. Just names and places. That's all.

King Harbromm

Iolo

Iolo

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1879 posts
D&D "inspired"

:rolleyes:

Siran Dunmorgan

Siran Dunmorgan

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Neverwinter Nights 2 will serve very different audiences.

Dungeons & Dragons Online will serve a community of gamers interested primarily in action, as the genre of computer gaming. For that community, gaining feats and skills will more closely resemble the unlocking of special moves beloved of the console gaming community.

Neverwinter Nights 2 will appeal primarliy to the rôle-playing community, where depth of story is held more dear than low threshold fast-twitch musculature.

I consider anything that attracts development dollars back to PCs and away from consoles to be a good thing.

For myself, the primary appeal of Neverwinter Nights has always been the ability to create new stories for my children and their friends to enjoy.

Dungeons & Dragons Online will simply appeal to a different community.

—Siran Dunmorgan

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
If D&D Online was a turn-based game with a DM client and toolset with no monthly, THEN I'd be interested. Until then, no.

Myscha_sleddog

Myscha_sleddog

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
Not to be negative but I am duly UNIMPRESSED with the direction Turbine is taking D&D Online.

They should have called it "Dungeon Siege"

Oh wait... nevermind...

:lol:

Darius

Darius

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
I like Biowares policy:
They create games with both SP and MP. Maybe the MP isn't made for 1000+ players but atleast it's free.

Lovely... I buy MMO game and then have to pay the server every month just to get the PERMISION to play the game I payed money for. :angry:

And what happens when I decide to pay god damn money for this permision? <_<
I start playing the game and see that I am the lamest player in the server :unsure: :huh: .
But then again it no suprise. I dont have time nor wish to play game 72 h. nonstop.
So I doubt I will ever learn to kill the enemy without even touching the keybord or the mouse. :)

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'll stick with NWN2. :lol:

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts
This is probably the only d&d game I've never been interested in. mmorpg's and a monthly fee just aren't worth it to me.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

This is probably the only d&d game I've never been interested in. mmorpg's and a monthly fee just aren't worth it to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

depends how into them you are. If you play them a lot like some people I know then you save a ton of money because your not doing anything else with it.

It's not like its a huge sum of money either it's like not buying one pizza a month.

Time is really the big factor for me. Not enough of it in large enough segments to devote to an online game.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
I rather spend $50 a year on one game than spend $200 a year for one game.

All MMORPGs play the same. You make the character, you level mill him til he is uber, then you kill other players. BORING! There is no story to be told. There is no role playing to be had. There is no point. MMORPGs are the worse genre of game ever invented.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

I rather spend $50 a year on one game than spend $200 a year for one game.

All MMORPGs play the same.  You make the character, you level mill him til he is uber, then you kill other players.  BORING!  There is no story to be told.  There is no role playing to be had.  There is no point.  MMORPGs are the worse genre of game ever invented.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you onlyt buy 1 game per year then yes you will save money. I bought 5 this moring so that would have been the MMPORG fee paid off for a year.

An MMPORG is what you make it none have ever come close to the Meridian59 servers though. It's the ultimate freeroaming open ended game like Morriwind with people :)

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts
Like Hades pointed out, it adds up for a year. If I were paying that much then yes, I would prefer to buy 5 games in one year, than just one.

Also, I might buy 5 games a year. Heck even they are getting too expensive for me. I usually buy about 1 game every three months, if that.

Guest_Surlent_*

Guest_Surlent_*
  • Guests
I hear ya. Monthly fee just sucks. No game is worth it.

But the concept idea of MMO is interesting and could be developed to be more than just level grinding.

For those who also hate monthly fees, you might want to keep eye on Guild Wars.
It's MMO style game and isn't going to have fees (but eventually might have expansions)
http://www.guildwars.com/

Tiliqua

Tiliqua

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If the monthly fee is a problem then you should consider the maths. A new game costs around $90. If you buy 2 or 3 in a year thats $180-$270. An mmo costs around $50 plus $15 pm. If you play the mmo for a year then the cost is $215 (11mths subscription plus the cost of the game).

Now this cost drops if you stop subscribing plus you have the benefit of multiplayer, new content and paid employees keeping the game running smoothly.

I now that in any given year several brand new games that I buy get played for a couple of weeks and then never get looked at again. I consider this far worse value than a mmo requiring a monthly fee, that potentially can engage me for years.

If you get obsessed by an mmo then you won't have time to buy any other game - it really is the best value, if you can find a mmo that you like. D&D Online does not give xp for killing monsters but only for finishing quests. That means no more camping. The servers are smaller than most mmos - only about 1,000 players so it should be a more personal experience.

The official Boards are now up: http://www.ddo.com/forums/index.php

I think that most people who say pay as you play is a ripp off and yet who buy several new games in any given year, haven't really thought about it and should reconsider their position.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
Any new game I buy doesn't cost more than $50. Have yet seen any game here in the US costing more than $60.

I to rather spend $200 to get 4 to 5 games than spend all that money on one game. Sorry, but I prefer variety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users