Dungeons & Dragons online

Kyoku

Well, my Gamespot video shows the creator talking about the game. He says that one of the "cool" things they added was a more action feel. For example, you have to click to attack "a la, Diablo games" and special attacks are done by timing your clicking right.

I'm guessing that means if you want to use your Fighter's four attacks in a round, you better be a good clicker. Or maybe its to use feats like Whirlwind Attack. He didn't elaborate.

Any "D&D" game that requires me to click a certain way for a CHANCE at using my abilities is not one I'll buy.

I don't even know why it got a D&D license if it's going to be like that. Of course, I don't know how you could call Dark Alliance-esque games D&D related, either. Just names and places. That's all.

King Harbromm

Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Neverwinter Nights 2 will serve very different audiences.

Dungeons & Dragons Online will serve a community of gamers interested primarily in action, as the genre of computer gaming. For that community, gaining feats and skills will more closely resemble the unlocking of special moves beloved of the console gaming community.

Neverwinter Nights 2 will appeal primarliy to the r

• 1 month later...

I like Biowares policy:

They create games with both SP and MP. Maybe the MP isn't made for 1000+ players but atleast it's free.

Lovely... I buy MMO game and then have to pay the server every month just to get the PERMISION to play the game I payed money for. :angry:

And what happens when I decide to pay god damn money for this permision? <_<

I start playing the game and see that I am the lamest player in the server :unsure::huh: .

But then again it no suprise. I dont have time nor wish to play game 72 h. nonstop.

So I doubt I will ever learn to kill the enemy without even touching the keybord or the mouse. :)

Let them hate us, as long as they fear us.

This is probably the only d&d game I've never been interested in. mmorpg's and a monthly fee just aren't worth it to me.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

This is probably the only d&d game I've never been interested in. mmorpg's and a monthly fee just aren't worth it to me.

depends how into them you are. If you play them a lot like some people I know then you save a ton of money because your not doing anything else with it.

It's not like its a huge sum of money either it's like not buying one pizza a month.

Time is really the big factor for me. Not enough of it in large enough segments to devote to an online game.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I rather spend $50 a year on one game than spend $200 a year for one game.

All MMORPGs play the same. You make the character, you level mill him til he is uber, then you kill other players. BORING! There is no story to be told. There is no role playing to be had. There is no point. MMORPGs are the worse genre of game ever invented.

I rather spend $50 a year on one game than spend $200 a year for one game.

All MMORPGs play the same.  You make the character, you level mill him til he is uber, then you kill other players.  BORING!  There is no story to be told.  There is no role playing to be had.  There is no point.  MMORPGs are the worse genre of game ever invented.

If you onlyt buy 1 game per year then yes you will save money. I bought 5 this moring so that would have been the MMPORG fee paid off for a year.

An MMPORG is what you make it none have ever come close to the Meridian59 servers though. It's the ultimate freeroaming open ended game like Morriwind with people :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Like Hades pointed out, it adds up for a year. If I were paying that much then yes, I would prefer to buy 5 games in one year, than just one.

Also, I might buy 5 games a year. Heck even they are getting too expensive for me. I usually buy about 1 game every three months, if that.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Guest Surlent

I hear ya. Monthly fee just sucks. No game is worth it.

But the concept idea of MMO is interesting and could be developed to be more than just level grinding.

For those who also hate monthly fees, you might want to keep eye on Guild Wars.

It's MMO style game and isn't going to have fees (but eventually might have expansions)

http://www.guildwars.com/

If the monthly fee is a problem then you should consider the maths. A new game costs around $90. If you buy 2 or 3 in a year thats $180-$270. An mmo costs around $50 plus $15 pm. If you play the mmo for a year then the cost is $215 (11mths subscription plus the cost of the game).

Now this cost drops if you stop subscribing plus you have the benefit of multiplayer, new content and paid employees keeping the game running smoothly.

I now that in any given year several brand new games that I buy get played for a couple of weeks and then never get looked at again. I consider this far worse value than a mmo requiring a monthly fee, that potentially can engage me for years.

If you get obsessed by an mmo then you won't have time to buy any other game - it really is the best value, if you can find a mmo that you like. D&D Online does not give xp for killing monsters but only for finishing quests. That means no more camping. The servers are smaller than most mmos - only about 1,000 players so it should be a more personal experience.

The official Boards are now up: http://www.ddo.com/forums/index.php

I think that most people who say pay as you play is a ripp off and yet who buy several new games in any given year, haven't really thought about it and should reconsider their position.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

have you seen the video for the game ? it looks damn nice... i'm not a very big fan of MMO games .. maybe they should make the game and just call it D&D so that ppl who arent fans of D&D will buy it and think man.. nice !

LETS BUY MORE D&D STUFF !! ( and slowly become losers ) haha

Dungeons and Dragons have always been about the DM and a small group of friends gaming around a table running through a campaing.  In previous SP DND games they made up for this in trying to make an interesting intricate campaign/story for the player.  I don't see that happening in DnD online.

All I see is another level mill charging a monthly fee.  Boring.

Agreed. I can't help but be curious with the whole thing, but there's little to no chance I'd get it.

I'm not a huge of fan of NWN, either. I'd prefer an upgraded, isometric BG-type game any day over a game like NWN.

If the monthly fee is a problem then you should consider the maths.  A new game costs around $90.  If you buy 2 or 3 in a year thats $180-$270.  An mmo costs around $50 plus $15 pm.  If you play the mmo for a year then the cost is $215 (11mths subscription plus the cost of the game).

I think that most people who say pay as you play is a ripp off and yet who buy several new games in any given year, haven't really thought about it and should reconsider their position.

I

- Steven Erikson

• 3 weeks later...

i've been following DDO for a while now and at first it seemed promising but now it just seems as though they've ruined the game. From what the devs have posted it really looks like the game barely uses the D20 ruleset. Also, play of Monks and Druids is restricted, as is PvP (for those who are interested), and no word has been issued yet on whether half-orcs will be playable or if alignments will be implemented. If you want to join a mindless level grind, play DDO, but i'm sure for most of us NWN2 is the best option.

• 1 month later...

Could game companies ever afford to have a free MMORPG? The creators of Guild Wars have never explained how they were able to have it for free. The company themselves charge you because they're providing a service and they have to get some money out of it.

Bioware is doing the same thing.

http://store.bioware.com/

Obviously there are free modules because players who create them don't charge.

MMORPGs are like living this fantasy character's life alternate to yours. So there isn't this whole epic story. Whats the point? Whats the point of even bothering to live? Well its fun because you are roleplaying a character you created. There doesn't have to be this epic story.

But really a lot of you guys are just the wrong audience or being a NWN fanboy. MMORPGs don't suck.