Dungeons & Dragons online

Kyoku

I just had a mag in my hands in the shop, (Dutch one) and it had an article about D&D online coming in 2005, from ATARI ! ;)

Anyone knows anything about it ?

And, wouldn't it be bad for NWN2 (certainly cause its also done by Atari and they may favour d&d online more for mp support) ... dunno :blink:

sig_nwn2_2.jpg

I wouldn't be very concerned with D&D Online. NWN2 will supposedly be an improvement over NWN1, and that includes the ability to create modules and play in very specialized servers running user-made gameworld, which I honestly doubt will be the case with DDO.

D&D Online is a MMORPG much in line with Everquest or similar games. Not really comparable to NWN in my opinion just because of the fact that you can create your own stuff with NWN/NWN2

Edit: Oh, and you have to pay monthly for D&D Online :blink:

As far as I know, they're making D&D online based on Asheron's call 2 game engine.... and yes, that means it's going to suck. Besides, from the descriptions, it's going to be a glorified NWN2 that you're going to pay for monthly. Supposedly, only major cities will be really "mmporgish", the quest and stuff will be pretty much like NWN multiplayer, since you'll get teleported or something outside of towns and you and your party will be all alone with monsters to keep you company.

And, wouldn't it be bad for NWN2 (certainly cause its also done by Atari and they may favour d&d online more for mp support) ... dunno  :blink:

And actually think there is some truth in that, since it's going to be a pay-pr. month MMORPG, which will mean more cash in the hands of Atari (we are living in a money world). But I don't think the team that is making NWN2 (Obsidian) will make it worse, because of it. The quality of the game, will IMO not be affected whatever Ateri support NWN2 more or less than D&D online.

I also think a lot of players, especially the more action-minded (in courtesy of using another name :p ) will prefer the D&D online compared to NWN2, because of the larger servers with more players on at the same time (prestige that can be gained from reaching higher levels quick). That of course also means fewer players for the multiplayer part of NWN.

But on the other hand, I believe the players that are still involved in the NWN1 community, will automatically be attracted to NWN2. If you had stayed for this long, you must be searching for more than what a Fee-MMORPG can offer.

So I believe the multi-player community at the start for NWN2 will be less than for what it was in NWN1 in the start, but at least as huge as NWN1 is now.

So my bet is, that NWN2 will sell as good as NWN1, if not better, because even the ones on D&D online want to check out the Single-player part, but that the multiplayer community will be smaller.

Is that good or bad. Aye, I also have an opinion on that, but it will be hidden behind the screen since I'm afraid it will just start a debate I don't need :p .

D&D Online in a nutshell:

You buy the game, you play it for a year, then the new WotC ruleset gets published. So what do Atari do, update the ruleset for the existing game? No of course not, they release a new one and you get charged all over again. Good fun!

I've yet to see a mmorpg publisher that genuinely has any concern that isn't directly related to profit. That's why things like NWN2 will always rule.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

There is also the question if you can compare a true MMOG with a multiplayer/singleplayer game like NWN or NWN2. I think the audience is a different one here. While people play the newest MMOG because of the fact it is a MMOG the others will play NWN is because they want to play a CRPG with the option of having a multiplayer experience. And additionally a MP experience where you choose to play with a DM or not.

So I think the market for the latter (NWN/NWN2) is higher as for the first one (MMOG), but then I have no numbers to prove this, just my guesstimation :blink:

WOTC really aren't pushing Eberron to the long-time D&D players, are they? The two computer games coming out using that campaign setting are an RTS and a MMORPG. I wonder if they'll ever want a proper Eberron cRPG, or if they're going to push it towards the RTS/online crowd exclusively?

newlogo.gif

If there's anyone here other than NWN fanbois, maybe you should check out the VN Board for D&D Online http://vnboards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=22447 and actually find out a bit more about the game.

Comments such as "D&D Online is a MMORPG much in line with Everquest or similar games" and " it's going to be a glorified NWN2 that you're going to pay for monthly" are just ignorant.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

WOTC really aren't pushing Eberron to the long-time D&D players, are they? The two computer games coming out using that campaign setting are an RTS and a MMORPG. I wonder if they'll ever want a proper Eberron cRPG, or if they're going to push it towards the RTS/online crowd exclusively?

Actually, having read a few Dragon and Dungeon magazines, I can say that Eberron is WOTC's new fantasy realm, like Forgotten Realms was long ago, or Al Qadim, or Ravenloft, etc. I have a feeling it will show up in more games, considering it's going to be part of their "core worlds" in the PnP game. But that's just my own guess.

Comments such as "D&D Online is a MMORPG much in line with Everquest or similar games" and "  it's going to be a glorified NWN2 that you're going to pay for monthly" are just ignorant.

Guess you'll just have to learn it the hard way then. Oh well, no skin off my back :p

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

If there's anyone here other than NWN fanbois, maybe you should check out the VN Board for D&D Online http://vnboards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=22447 and actually find out a bit more about the game.

Comments such as "D&D Online is a MMORPG much in line with Everquest or similar games" and "  it's going to be a glorified NWN2 that you're going to pay for monthly" are just ignorant.

Game had a big article in the new PC Gamer, it looks neat and has fancy graphics but it lacking greatly. There is no DM, no way to create your own games, and an game that has monthly charges is a little much.

The game is mostly a dungeon crawl but if your making an online version of D&D you need to put in the basics.

Dungeons and Dragons have always been about the DM and a small group of friends gaming around a table running through a campaing. In previous SP DND games they made up for this in trying to make an interesting intricate campaign/story for the player. I don't see that happening in DnD online.

All I see is another level mill charging a monthly fee. Boring.

I applaud MMORPGs for taking money from the excess amount of yuppies out there. Money should not be in the hands of the stupid, they're dangerous enough as it is.

overall it looks interesting - and from what I have read it doesn't look like it will impact on NWN as its a very diferent type of game.

MMO games aren't for everyone but have their place. This isn't going to be so MM as such it seems as each server will have low numbers of players - few 100 as opposed to teh 1000's per server in most games.

I don't know any yuppies who play MMO's. When I was down in San Diego, I had a lot of friends who worked tech support for Evercrack, and they told me stories all the time. It seemed that 15-25 seemed to be the main age range for MMO players.

Depends on your definition of yuppie. Mine is a young person with a well paid job and a rich life style. The sort of person, hell the only person that purchases an account off ebay for 2000 us dollars, just so they can play a high level character for a couple of weeks. God bless mmorpgs for helping us redistribute the wealth, these people have obviously got too much money in the first place.

thats is both ignorant and incorrect.

Haha :lol: