Remembering games suck

Melusina

So, I want to play something and have titles installed. I have games I'm genuinely interested and installed on my machine.... and bunch of games I don't want to remove from account, but somehow won't be playing and those I might just install, but once installed I won't even touch them.

Problem? I have really good memory when it comes to games. I know every nook and cranny of Divinity's Fort Joy from third playthrough and I know Pathfinder step by step deep into the game... Partly because I used to rely on guides very much so when I start new game, partly because I'm good at memorizing things. I don't have photographic memory, just somehow got weird sheet in my brain able to memorize useless things.

So, basically, I want to play that or that, but get utterly bored the moment I start remembering things.

/rant over....

Any suggestion?

I don't. According to GOG I own 835 titles (thanks bundles! and recently Epic), a big chunk of it I will never touch, a big chunk I am somewhat interested in but am unlikely to get to, many games I played, enjoyed and am unlikely to get back to, some games I played and might play again, some games I will play.

I use tags on gog (and previously steam) to remember games I might return to (tagged as "classics to be returned to") and tag games I am interested in ("to be played"). 

On a side note, I wish I could erase my memory and play through Witcher 3 again. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong: are you asking how to forget games?

I wish there were a way to do that.  So many I regret seeing.

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I usually just follow my mood when it comes to games in my backlog. Maybe I'm watching a documentary on the mob and decide I want a mob game, so I look through my library to find one I haven't played. I've also been noticing certain games on the store that look good, and instead of buying it, I'll look for something similar in my library.

But like Wormerine, I'm still terrible at it. 

Lately Steam has added a news page to my library that tells me what games are recently updated, and that has helped me choose a couple games that were sitting in my library unplayed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Malcador said:

I wish there were a way to do that.  So many I regret seeing.

And then you'd play them over and over again. Forgetting every time how terrible they were.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

16 hours ago, Majek said:

I only play games i remember good and fondly. New games? ugh.

It is not by accident your name was shares the first three letters with one of the best games of all time after all.

• Haha 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

It is not by accident your name was shares the first three letters with one of the best games of all time after all.

Isn't that four letters? I mean you ARE talking about Majestiy, right? :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My solution to backlogs is not to develop a backlog.  You don't save money, so to speak, if you never actually play/use those things you bought on sale.  Such always reminds me (in an offhand/parallel way) of those old folks who would spend a dollar+ in gas to drive across town/city to save 25 cents with a coupon.

That said, I'm kinda the same way these days regarding often installing a newly purchase game that I think I might be interested in (since there is rarely a "new" game I'm truly interested in), but then by the time it downloads/installs, I'm doing something else or don't want to play, and it'll sit on the PC untouched for ages.

At some point you just have to either:

--admit you're not going to play it any time "soon" and just uninstall it
--force yourself to play it for at least two hours, or maybe two sessions of 2 hours. If, after that, you still never go back to it for weeks/months, uninstall it and consider it off the backlog.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 8/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, Melusina said:

Any suggestion?

Play roguelikes (or roguelites). That way remembering things isn't in the way. :)

But I can empathize. I too seldom find games to come with a lot of replay value, even if they have (seemingly) a lot of choices and appropriate consequences. Remembering a lot of details doesn't help either, sure. Did you know that Fael in Baldur's Gate 2 has 40 copies of History of the Zhentarim in stock? Heh.

Last time I felt like OP was when I decided to replay the BG trilogy but faced the prospect of installing and configuring eleventy billion mods or playing vanilla (*shudder*). My backlog is made up of games I got for free, and one or two games I will get around to playing when my co-op partner is available. There are also some games I'd like to replay, but probably never will because I instead spend what free time I have in MMOs that I hate to varying degrees. I could seek help, but that would leave me with even less free time, which would in turn make me lag behind in the sempiternal hamster wheel, ultimately making the problem worse.

My advice: stop worrying. You'll never play all games, watch all movies, and read all books. Throw away your checklist, and just play whatever tickles your fancy at the moment. Being productive isn't what a hobby is supposed to be about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, 213374U said:

There are also some games I'd like to replay, but probably never will because I instead spend what free time I have in MMOs that I hate to varying degrees.

I quit my addiction to MMOs cold turkey after an epiphany (read: guild drama so bad it makes me physically ill to even think of entering multiplayer with any form of required interaction with other players). It feels good, it gives you more free time, but I still don't play more - or replay any even though try I might. I'm not sure why, but at least my Kindle is getting more use.

Here's to hoping Wasteland 3 will be interesting. And with me having refused to participate in any prior playing even though I was eligible I'm still hoping they dropped the requirement of a master's degree in character building from the game. People said AD&D 2nd edition was confusing. Try WL2. Sheesh.

Edited by majestic

On 8/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, 213374U said:

My advice: stop worrying. You'll never play all games, watch all movies, and read all books. Throw away your checklist, and just play whatever tickles your fancy at the moment. Being productive isn't what a hobby is supposed to be about.

Sure if you wanna be a quitter.

Thinking about it, for the longest time though I thought I should be cremated when I die. But now I wanna get buried just so I can get have a nice tombstone somewhere with "But my backlog." as an epitaph.

• Haha 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

3 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Sure if you wanna be a quitter.

Thinking about it, for the longest time though I thought I should be cremated when I die. But now I wanna get buried just so I can get have a nice tombstone somewhere with "But my backlog." as an epitaph.

Can't you still have your cremains buried so you can have a tombstone?

ObTopic: Some games I have a harder time playing over - like the IE games.  Some of the Open World games are fun because you can just ignore the actual story and do whatever (provided whatever=hiking). 

There have always been games that I could play no matter how well I remembered the story.  I remember back in the SNES era always going back to ChronoTrigger because the gameplay itself was fun and just skipping the plot.  It probably helped that with all the various endings, I could bail if I really got bored (but rarely did).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 8/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, majestic said:

I quit my addiction to MMOs cold turkey after an epiphany (read: guild drama so bad it makes me physically ill to even think of entering multiplayer with any form of required interaction with other players).

I am the drama. A guy gets chewed out for missing a dps check or failing a tank mechanic, and you think that of me? No. I am the one who kicks him out of the raid!

I get what you mean. I've been involved in some pretty toxic **** and made a commitment to avoid that. Whenever there's even a whiff of that, I just gtfo. I've had some luck finding raid groups that were fairly drama-free, but it's not always the case. You just gotta learn to smash that eject button hard and fast. I am not about to babysit (nominal) adults.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, Gfted1 said:

I want to be stuffed and mounted when I die, but "the man" says thats illegal. :( 

Now when you stay "stuffed and mounted" you're talking about taxidermy, right?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

7 hours ago, 213374U said:

I am the drama. A guy gets chewed out for missing a dps check or failing a tank mechanic, and you think that of me? No. I am the one who kicks him out of the raid!

I get what you mean. I've been involved in some pretty toxic **** and made a commitment to avoid that. Whenever there's even a whiff of that, I just gtfo. I've had some luck finding raid groups that were fairly drama-free, but it's not always the case. You just gotta learn to smash that eject button hard and fast. I am not about to babysit (nominal) adults.

I was involved in guild drama situations in both WoW and SWTOR. In WoW it simply was not possible to replace or remove the sub par DPS that was directly and identifiably at fault for not being able to beat heroic Ragnaros and in SWTOR, we had my usual healing partner gone for the first six weeks of the Dread Palace release. That further complicated things by having one of our regular DPS shift to healing. That he was a better DPS than healer which just exacerbated the problem. Less healing than usual and less DPS, and we were always a bit DPS challenged to begin with. We also had a benched tank sowing discontent. He was arguably a better player than our second tank but he had, let's say, lapses of concentration that caused too many wipes, and having two Assassin tanks wasn't great setup wise either.

The WoW guild tried to solve the problem by benching me and adding another DPS. Which resulted in them still not being able to field enough area of effect DPS for the fight and suddenly not having enough healing. They even moved the entire guild to a different realm to be able to recruit from a different pool of players, but not even that worked. I can't work if you need to carry dead weight that just happens to be the Shadow Priest's significant other and he won't play without her on the roster, and the raid leader won't play without the Shadow because he's good (and playing a ridiculously overpowered FotM spec).

They even let her have the legendary staff while the mage on the raid cried in the corner. Because, why NOT roll the dice for the quest? Right?

The SWTOR guild drama involved the second raid of the guild and someone who accidentially made the wrong person an officer who in turn promptly made screenshots of the officer chat where they were discussing dissolving the second raid group. To be fair to the officers, they did kind of suck.

To be fair to the drama queens that caused the drama then, our guild leader really was a Wipe Club* level arsehat at times. Oh, and yeah, it didn't help at all that he was one of the underperforming DPS of the main raid. Which in turn caused our actual DPS to leave and everything to fall apart rather quickly.

*And for everyone who doesn't know Wipe Club, well, have a look:

Language warning.  Throw more dots.

MORE DOTS!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, Orogun01 said:

Now when you stay "stuffed and mounted" you're talking about taxidermy, right?

When I slough off this mortal coil those concerns are beyond me. :lol: But it would be cool to be posed like a big ole' grizzly, standing with my arms out like Im trying to claw at you, snarl on my face...you know. :lol: