Politics - wait for it... wait for it... 2020 isn't over yet

Gorth

1 minute ago, Hurlshot said:

We could probably just agree that running over protesters with your car is bad, and pulling people out of cars and beating them to death is also bad, instead of choosing one over the other. :shrugz:

But I want to have my Charles Bronson fantasy!

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

31 minutes ago, Malcador said:

But I want to have my Charles Bronson fantasy!

Is he beating you up after pulling you from a car, or is he running you over with his car? 🤔

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

35 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

We could probably just agree that running over protesters with your car is bad, and pulling people out of cars and beating them to death is also bad, instead of choosing one over the other. :shrugz:

But there is a reality of being confronted by a violent mob on the roads and you in your car and you just want to get away due to an absolute fear of being harmed and or killed

It happened to me once in SA during one of our violent protests, there were about 20 armed  people in front of me and they were forcing cars off the road. I ignored this and drove off the road to avoid them and then joined the road later on about 100 meters further...I ended up damaging my car but I avoided harming anyone. But I doubt I would have stopped if someone jumped in front of me ...and this is about a fear of your own safety 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Is he beating you up after pulling you from a car, or is he running you over with his car? 🤔

He pulls you from your car then runs over you.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Volourn said:

P.S. Also, if we wonder why people don't stop their cars for these protests... someone did that, they got dragged out of it, and beaten to death.

Can someone provide a link?  All I can find are stories of people being pulled from their car and beaten (but not to death) after they ran their cars into protesters or other people (some intentionally and some not).

Just now, KaineParker said:

He pulls you from your car then runs over you.

Nice. With ones own car, one hopes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

18 hours ago, Elerond said:

"Among other things, the new law stipulates that people who illegally camp on state property will face a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison. People found guilty of a felony in Tennessee lose the right to vote. "

At least there is second amendment to defend  people's liberties to create such nice new felonies to trip other people's right to vote for their entire lives. Thanks god for these freedom loving people, who don't let anything to prevent them to take away other people's freedoms.

Felons losing their right to vote while serving their sentences is a fairly common punishment, and it was a thing also in Europe until relatively recently -- when it was ruled that automatic disenfranchisement of offenders was a human rights violation. The loss usually isn't permanent and a quick duckduckgo search tells me that in TN, the felon can vote again after doing their time, except if the conviction is for serious stuff like murder or rape.

Not cool that just camping on state property can land anyone in jail, though, but unsurprising that governments turn to harsher measures to crack down on unrest.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

31 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Depends on which Death Wish we're in.  If it's 3, probably do both, and then the car explodes with nuclear force.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Felons losing their right to vote while serving their sentences is a fairly common punishment, and it was a thing also in Europe until relatively recently -- when it was ruled that automatic disenfranchisement of offenders was a human rights violation. The loss usually isn't permanent and a quick duckduckgo search tells me that in TN, the felon can vote again after doing their time, except if the conviction is for serious stuff like murder or rape.

Not cool that just camping on state property can land anyone in jail, though, but unsurprising that governments turn to harsher measures to crack down on unrest.

Restoration of voting rights isn't automatic in TN

https://sos.tn.gov/products/elections/restoration-voting-rights

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

Saw that one day when WFH, was such a stupid film I couldn't turn away.  Bronson must have had large mortgage payments. 😛

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Saw that one day when WFH, was such a stupid film I couldn't turn away.  Bronson must have had large mortgage payments. 😛

"They killed the Giggler, man.  They had no business doing that."

Bronson did get a lot of money for DW3, but it was a bigger deal for Cannon (who were making a lot of money on cheap action films and they pretty much made a franchise out of 80's Bronson) and director Michael Winner, whose films The Wicked Lady and Scream for Help were bombs and he needed an easy money maker.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Sounds like majority of the protests in US, post-Floyd there were a lot. 

Yeah, like those milions in damages, people beaten, businesses destroyed. 

I need to see single picture from BLM protests where protesters cleaned after themselves, and not the communities, which had to 'guest' them. 

Did you actually see how protests looked like in Belarus, or are you that blind to how unruly the masses are in your cities during riots, which people call protests? 

Protests are in Belarus. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We've had multiple protests in our town in the last couple months and there has been zero property damage. There is nothing to clean up. Also, the communities are the protesters in the vast majority of these cases. That is what happens the vast majority of the time. Of course, the ones that get violent are the ones that make the news. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Yeah, like those milions in damages, people beaten, businesses destroyed. 

I need to see single picture from BLM protests where protesters cleaned after themselves, and not the communities, which had to 'guest' them. 

Did you actually see how protests looked like in Belarus, or are you that blind to how unruly the masses are in your cities during riots, which people call protests? 

Protests are in Belarus. 

You're also blind to where I am in the world, if you want to start being snarky. 

But there were a lot of protests in the US against police brutality, etc. and for the most part they were fairly tame for protests, people walking around and holding signs and shouting at cops (I guess this behaviour is unruly ?)  I get that it works for you, but doesn't seem sensible to lump people looting stores in with those.  Even in the warzone of Portland, DHS agents made the distinction, well the non jackboot types anyway, heh.

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

Restoration of voting rights isn't automatic in TN

https://sos.tn.gov/products/elections/restoration-voting-rights

Did I say it was automatic? Convicted felons do need to go through an administrative process whereby it is checked whether restitution and/or court costs have been paid in addition to having served the sentence. It is a detail which I omitted because it is immaterial to the point I was making -- that except in the case of serious crimes, disenfranchisement is not permanent, as you stated.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

20 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

We've had multiple protests in our town in the last couple months and there has been zero property damage. There is nothing to clean up. Also, the communities are the protesters in the vast majority of these cases. That is what happens the vast majority of the time. Of course, the ones that get violent are the ones that make the news. 

This.

I've personally seen dozens of completely peaceful protests and demonstrations over the last few months. That's not going to make the news though. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

25 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I have no idea what you're on about. All the protests in the US were terrorist attacks by Antifa and BLM where the murder death killed each other after and probably also before some looting and raping.

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

This.

I've personally seen dozens of completely peaceful protests and demonstrations over the last few months. That's not going to make the news though. 

FAKE NEWS you NAZI. You really should ask the glorious tangerine in chief to swoop down and save you with the power of unmarked vans and agents disappearing people from the streets. Because in Trump US, Soviet is you. Or however that meme goes.

😄

edit:

Well that's less fun than I thought it would be. Eh...

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Obviously Hurl and Shady are bribed by Soros to be part of ((their)) psy-op campaign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, majestic said:

edit:

Well that's less fun than I thought it would be. Eh...

Volourn makes it look so easy... :shifty:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Volourn makes it look so easy... :shifty:

probable is ez for vol, but who wants to go full method actor to achieve similar results?

as far as south africa and their approach to universal suffrage, we applaud them. in february o' 1990, sa released thousands o' political prisoners from jails and prisons.  less than a year later, sa committed to begin working on a new constitution.

real work on the sa constitution occurred 'tween 1992 and 1996, but is doubtful any forgot how many south africans had been imprisoned for political crimes.

btw, john lewis and mlk jr. coulda' been denied the right to vote if the tennessee legislation existed during what most o' us (or so we hope) look back 'pon as a dark and shameful period in American history insofar as voting rights is concerned.

the sa constitution is, in our opinion, better than the us Constitution. it should be better. more than one us scholar and federal judge offered input on the sa Constitution and worked with the sa drafters to build a better Constitution than the one the us has needed amend many times since 1789. am disappointed we never got to see the government of national unity initial envisioned by the sa Constitutional framers, but am not having any difficulty admitting we believe their recognition o' universal suffrage, particular in light o' their specific history, were a wise choice.

is similar ez for us to conclude the folks in tennessee, (not the government, but the people who the government is clear attempting to appease with such legislation) is proving to us once again how societies may regress just as easily as they may evolve.

is perhaps worth rereading your farenheit 451 at times such as these. bradbury once observed he were not attempting to predict the future with scifi, but to prevent it. the government weren't the monolithic evil behind the dystopian future o' fahrenheit 451. society, as a whole, became tired of alternative voices and conflict and they moved to still the noise. tyranny weren't imposed by a cruel oppressor in bradbury's not-so-distant future. a slow and inexorable creep o' tyranny were the solution o' the people. don't think for a moment it is impossible for Americans to embrace the darkness o' our past or bradbury's future. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Did I say it was automatic? Convicted felons do need to go through an administrative process whereby it is checked whether restitution and/or court costs have been paid in addition to having served the sentence. It is a detail which I omitted because it is immaterial to the point I was making -- that except in the case of serious crimes, disenfranchisement is not permanent, as you stated.

You said "the felon can vote again after doing their time", which gives impression that felon could vote right after getting out from prison, which is why I posted that information that they don't get automatically get their right to vote back. Also it is important to point out that felons need to pay all their court costs and fines before they can vote and as those may rise to tens of thousands dollars which felons pay often decade or two, which means that many felons who have served their time can't vote even decade after they have served their time. Which is important factor when you look felony charges that are meant to prevent people voting, as over 90% cases are settled out of court so if state wants to use felony charge to prevent people from voting, they just threaten person with 6 years in prison and then offer them 20k-40k fine which makes them felon who can't vote until they pay that 20k-40k and  as the idea is to prevent people voting state will offer person payment plan where they pay that fine for next decade or two.