Politics - wait for it... wait for it... 2020 isn't over yet

Gorth

9 minutes ago, Volourn said:

People demand police/justice reform... but the VP pick for Dems is someone who supposedly (according to her fellow dems during the debates) had the tendency to suppress evidence to keep innocent people in prison. LMAO

That's the kind of justice people like, though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I suspect a lot of people really dislike that sort of win-above-all type of justice, but they're politically irrelevant since their only real alternative is Trump. The votes of people who are fine with railroading the poor or stupid and gaming the system to get a conviction is at least theoretically up for grabs; anyone who doesn't like it mostly vote D already.

Edited by Zoraptor

Also, this pick shows how pathetic Biden is. His chosen VP is someone who basically called him a racist (Yeah she said I'm not gonna call you racist... BUT0.  But we all heard it. She called him racist. When you say someone does racist and says racist things you are calling them racist. The guy has no backbone or courage. Certainly he could have found one VP who doesn't think he is an evil racist? LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The establishment hasn't adapted well to the Internet age, they can't suppress relevant information without showing their hand and they don't seem interested in moral candidates. When I saw the pick on the news the word "Historic" was said a lot. I hope that their choice of words isn't a presage of what's to come.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

I suspect a lot of people really dislike that sort of win-above-all type of justice

At least here, from discussions about how to tackle crime, I'd say it's about a half - half split.  People really do enjoy seeing the hammer drop.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm fine with the hammer dropping... on the guilty. Certainly suppressing evidence that can clear the innocent accused or suppressing evidence to protect the guilty is clearly (or should be) unacceptable especially by a DA. But, too many DAs are interested in convictions not truth and justice.

I'm curious how many of you think Kamala Harris would be a worse President than Trump, Pence, or Biden?

I get that some of you see her as worse than other people that aren't in the running anymore, but for my money, she's a better choice than all 3 of those. She's also the most likely to actually adapt and evolve with the times. Do you guys know any 70 year olds? They are done growing. They aren't going to change their approach based on the situation. Kamala Harris is well-educated, has handled a difficult political office as AG of California, and has changed her approach to criminal justice over that time. She's still fairly conservative and I'm sure she will get hammered on that, but it seems weird to focus on that when you look at the other old guys on the ballot.

• Thanks 1

"I'm curious how many of you think Kamala Harris would be a worse President than Trump, Pence, or Biden? "

Better than Biden, for sure. I can't say much about Pence because only thing I know about him really is that he is heavily religious. Trump is whatever. I don't giVe a crap about him but only 'want' him to win because I know it makes the left wing extremists go psycho and I love seeing hypocrites go psycho. (Trump is actually leftist).

She hasn't changed her approach. If her fellow dems are to believed, she purposefully suppressed evidence that could have let innocent people out of jail. That is unforgiveable. How can you ignore that? To my knowledge, Trump has never done that.

You seem to prefer her because of racism, and agism.

The Dems had a young woman of colour running for president - they spent their time trashing her because she didn't regurgitate their pro war stance repeatedly. Tulsi Gabbard was and is a vastly better choice. Kamala Harris is someone who made it her mission to punish innocent people which, as we know, are often black people.  How can anyone who wants to change police/justiced culture find her acceptable? Harris is supposedly everyting nu Dems are supposed to be against.

Also, it shows her lack of morals and judgement that is willing to work with someone she called racist. She's like Biden - a coward who won't stand up for her believes if it gets in the way of power. Just another Trump.

Then again, you are a KaLi. You know, member of that 'rich' state that brags about being richer than most countries but where the governor whines that they can't even afford  $100 payout. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

21 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm curious how many of you think Kamala Harris would be a worse President than Trump, Pence, or Biden?

Guard Dog might on the basis of "total incompetence and infighting + legislative gridlock is actually good for those of us that don't want anything to change" - it really depends on what you want out of a president. In terms of being able to accomplish general U.S. goals and maintain domestic stability (a little more objective measures), I would guess she'd probably be the best on account of not being a crazy old lunatic with dementia like either Biden or Trump. Don't know about Pence, but the current general Republican mantra of "business/money over literally anything and everything no matter the cost in any other way" makes me think she'd probably be better there, too.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

who dat

(e): oh some rando comedian I guess

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

15 minutes ago, Volourn said:

You seem to prefer her because of racism, and agism.

Totally. I love the idea of breaking down traditional racial and gender barriers. I also don't trust old people. What kind of retiree wants to be in charge of an entire country? Go enjoy your fricken grandchildren and let the next generation take over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hurlshot said:

tenor.gif

"Hurlshot reacted to this: (sad face)"

don't feel bad, I largely despise comedy as a genre and more or less ignore its entire existence

"What kind of retiree wants to be in charge of an entire country?"

who the hell wants to do that at any age, what the hell is wrong with these power-hungry monsters

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I get that some of you see her as worse than other people that aren't in the running anymore, but for my money, she's a better choice than all 3 of those. She's also the most likely to actually adapt and evolve with the times. Do you guys know any 70 year olds? They are done growing. They aren't going to change their approach based on the situation. Kamala Harris is well-educated, has handled a difficult political office as AG of California, and has changed her approach to criminal justice over that time. She's still fairly conservative and I'm sure she will get hammered on that, but it seems weird to focus on that when you look at the other old guys on the ballot.

Are you playing Devil's Advocate or are you actually serious?
The reason Trump got elected is we all became so disenfranchised with the establishment that we elected a game show host to lead the country. So far we; before the Corona, had a booming economy, record low unemployment and excluding that incursion in Syria, no foreign wars. Its  almost like people can tell that establishment politician that are favored by the media will serve private interests that hurt the American people and we don't want that. If 2024 has  2 establishment candidates it might really be the time were a third party will rise to the Presidency, at least I would hope. Because the alternative scares me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This pick is a dud, but nothing short of Michelle Obama would push Biden candidacy in to any chance of victory.

Trump might have had a problem  if coronavirus situation in US would be blamed on him. But since dems are now backing antifa and blm riots as well as defund the police crap Trump have election in his pocket.

Silent conservative majority is a real thing as liberals in Poland found out couple of weeks ago.

166215__front.jpg

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Not someone I'd want in the White House but no worse than the other options. Just another s--t covered rat in a sewer full of them.

I have one hope that I cling to regarding this election: No matter who wins as long as Congress stays divided. Or at least as long as the President and congress are different parties. We'll be fine then. Well, at least our destruction won't be hastened. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Orogun01 said:

Its  almost like people can tell that establishment politician that are favored by the media will serve private interests

Seems the non establishment one does this as well. 

• Like 1

I think overall Harris was a good choice, Biden needed to select someone who represents numerous modern political movements  where citizens demand and expect certain  representation in there political structures 

Harris meets this criteria in  many ways and has work and political institutional experience. She is young and is a black women and that matters when the candidate is not just a token appointment 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

UBYpNxd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

during the democrat candidate debates we expressed our dislike for harris, so won't repeat, but the tulsi bit ain't quite as damning as portrayed, particular given the folks who might give a damn. harris didn't hide evidence which would prevent a man from being on death row. anybody surprised that a skeevy, mendacious homophobe and religious bigot like tulsi gabbard would bend the truth?

what harris did were debateable, but weren't as described. short description: a guy who were on death row before dna evidence came to light is still on death row after the evidence was tested. after conviction and sentencing o' a guy named cooper for a particular heinous quadruple-murder, dna evidence were "discovered." were not known if the dna would prove guilt or possible exonerate. after checking, the dna didn't exonerate. in 2016, the attorneys for the death row guy claimed their client would be exonerated if new items were tested. at the time, harris rejected an appeal for clemency based on lawyer's request for new dna testing. as the dna were untested when the appeal for clemency were made and there were no showing the new dna would be exculpatory, harris rejected the appeal until testing were complete. harris didn't hide evidence and she weren't forced by courts to go ahead with dna tests.

this is all 'bout a 1985 case. the initial dna were discovered 2004. harris were ca ag from 2011-2017. 

what is wacky is even following governor gavin newsom stepping in at the 11th hour in 2019, the dna results still ain't public, but seeing as how mr. cooper is still in prison, am thinking this most recent hail mary didn't work out better than the previous deep throws for the endzone. btw, governor brown and schwarzenegger had also rejected clemency appeals by cooper.

harris didn't block evidence which would free cooper. as the dna testing had not been completed when the clemency appeal came to harris, a grant o' clemency were deemed premature. there were accusation some o' the original evidence in the case were planted by cops, so perhaps harris shoulda' been more involved in making sure it didn't appear like the state were trying to cover up evidence. dunno. regardless, weren't hiding or blocking by harris.

cooper keeps identifying new items which he believes will exonerate. every test thus far, including tests conducted in 2018, has failed to support his contention o' innocence. 

anybody watching fox where this bit o' misdirection might be getting replayed is gonna be unlikely to care 'bout a potential dangerous prosecutor... unless they is already diehard trump voters who are looking for another reason to hate democrats.  after all, the narrative o' overzealous law enforcement is playing a bit different on fox.

recall, christopher david is the villain at fox.

we keep telling people to check sources. tulsi gabbard is not a strong source.

HA! Good Fun!

ps so is clear, we don't actual approve o' harris. if we had to choose a more moderate democrat ticket such as is biden/harris, we woulda' gone for booker/klobuchar instead. am genuine a bit uncomfortable defending harris, but the accusations regarding the blocking o' evidence is unfair regardless o' our dislike.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I think they're all terrible, and there's an argument to be made that the office of president of the usa requires someone to act terribly regardless. In specific terms, Harris was the top cop in California (her words) and as such was instrumental in the justice system that has been protested against for two months now (the same applies to Klouchbar, who I believe declined prosecuting the cop who kneeled on George Floyd's neck). Maybe that's not as terrible as the rest, but it's not anything to get enthusiastic about from my perspective.

I'm pretty sure GD will dislike her for the same reasons he dislikes every Democrat, and the three resident Trump simps hate her for incoherent conspiracy theories they cobbled together from facebook memes and trumpy bear commercials.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands