Politics - wait for it... wait for it... 2020 isn't over yet

Gorth

Previous thread

Ending of last thread:

42 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The NRA will likely survive it's current difficulties. Not sure it deserves to. Because of the cause it champions and it's political alignment it is certainly going to be more zealously investigated and prosecuted than other advocacy groups/non-profits. Particularly those leaning left. But Wayne LaPierre and his cronies have left it wide open to that with their greed and corruption. In 1992 I bought a lifetime membership because the 2nd Amendment IS as Thomas put it since a "disfavored right" and one the government would be very pleased to eventually strip us of. 

In the years since I've made numerous donations and supported NRA backed candidates and initiatives. That stopped, of course, five years ago when all of this s--t came to light. I makes me very angry (understated) that my donations have been used to enrich the members of the executive committee rather than help the cause. I've cancelled my lifetime membership (a purely symbolic move since it's paid for and I'm still alive) removed myself from their mailings and they have received their last penny from me. 

The 2nd Amendment needs and deserves earnest and forthright advocacy. Whatever people think of it,  it is as important and essential to American security and liberty as every other right endowed by our creator guaranteed by our government. Perhaps if the NRA falls into ignoble destruction a new organization will give us that.  

36 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The "Revolutionary Communist Party" of the US has endorsed Joe Biden: https://revcom.us/index.html

Wow. Did you guys know the US has more than one Communist Party? I didn't. Well, the CPUSA, the REAL US Communist Party endorsed Barack Obama.... twice. For whatever that's worth. They did not endorse Clinton and I would be somewhat surprised if Biden gets a nod. But.... never know.

This news is a bit of a nothing burger. Just posting as a curiosity.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Guard Dog Social media leftists seem to be currently attracted to the https://peoplesparty.org/

Personally, I am not endorsing anyone this election cycle because like I said earlier, both parties are bought and paid for lock and stock.  If I do manage to get out to the voting booth, I'll probably write in Jesse Ventura because I'm really liking his show on RT.

Just a question because i am outsider. Do you have to one for one or another? Could you not pick anyone from some list?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

Just a question because i am outsider. Do you have to one for one or another? Could you not pick anyone from some list?

You can vote for anyone (or anything), however if who you vote for is not a 35 year old, natural born citizen who has lived in the United States for at least 14 years they're not eligible to be President, even if they win.  Its been a long tradition to vote for fictional entities (I hear Snoopy did good in '68 and Pogo had a campaign for a few years) as a vote of no-confidence in the official candidates.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

12 minutes ago, Amentep said:

You can vote for anyone (or anything), however if who you vote for is not a 35 year old, natural born citizen who has lived in the United States for at least 14 years they're not eligible to be President, even if they win.  Its been a long tradition to vote for fictional entities (I hear Snoopy did good in '68 and Pogo had a campaign for a few years) as a vote of no-confidence in the official candidates.

Micky Mouse baby! "Put the little black mouse in the big White House"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Did you guys know the US has more than one Communist Party?

Yeah, there's probably dozens with the biggest (CPUSA, PSL, WWP, SWP) having memberships less than 10k. They tend to function like cults or pyramid schemes and most of their activity is based on trying to scalp new members to keep the cash flowing or running a candidate who gets next to no votes. They also despise (despise is perhaps not strong enough) each other for arcane reasons and most of them are run by the feds.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well if we are getting into endoresements, Trump has got some real doozies on his list. Of course, he's losing some of those, since the Wall still doesn't look like something only Snake Plissken could get past. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

Yeah, there's probably dozens with the biggest (CPUSA, PSL, WWP, SWP) having memberships less than 10k. They tend to function like cults or pyramid schemes and most of their activity is based on trying to scalp new members to keep the cash flowing or running a candidate who gets next to no votes. They also despise (despise is perhaps not strong enough) each other for arcane reasons and most of them are run by the feds.

You just described the Green Party, which is why I left it.  The only difference here is numbers and while they do struggle to get ballot access every 4 years, they actually have it.

Political parties are a joke, I'd just as soon get rid of them altogether and start electing people based on policy and not party.  Not sure if that will get much traction but I'm hoping for at least one Independent POTUS in my lifetime.

20 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Meleika Gardner, a board member at We Will, an organization fighting for women and children's rights in local legislation, created an amendment to Ford's bill to add a school code making the study of the American civil rights movement, pre-enslavement history and additional areas of study to the Black History portion of the curriculum mandatory rather than an elective, she told CNN.

Weird, that's already a part of curriculum standards in California. 

In general, history textbooks and standardized curriculum for children is watered down and whitewashed (trigger word! :p ) You are talking about the most basic of tools in a teacher's tool chest. We didn't go to college for 4 years, then another year of credentialing, then a year of student teaching, and years of professional development afterwards to mindlessly teach from a textbook. 

Then again, K-5 education often ignores history as an important subject. I get it, K-5 educators are usually teaching ELA, Math, Science, etc. and it gets shoved to the back. But it's still a shame in my eyes. History and Social Science is one of the best vehicles for pushing and developing critical thinking skills is students. 

• Like 1

I should probably note that the first lecture I give in class at the beginning of the year is about trusting sources. Basically I tell them not to trust any source. Do not trust the internet, do not trust the textbook, and do not trust the teacher. Even be wary of the many primary sources that I throw at them over the course of the year. Instead, weigh as much evidence as you can find and think critically about them all. Identify bias and come to your own conclusions. It's not my job to tell you what is right or wrong, it is my job to help you develop the skills to make your own judgements. 

Of course, after watching that video, I'm re-thinking my Mansa Musa activity I do where the students choose a persona to go on the Hajj and journal about it. I'm not saying I am going to remove the slave option, but maybe have a bigger discussion about what that might mean.

edit: Also I couldn't imagine teaching the 'worst day in America is better than the best day in other countries' when a good chunk of my kids are from other countries. :p

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Also I couldn't imagine teaching the 'worst day in America is better than the best day in other countries' when a good chunk of my kids are from other countries. :p

Wouldn't that be why they are in your class in US rather then their home country?

I don't believe this to be true, mind you, there are a lot of nice places in the world. But there might be some truth in this since so many people emigrate to US, right?

166215__front.jpg

American exceptionalism never led to anything bad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

37 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Wouldn't that be why they are in your class in US rather then their home country?

I don't believe this to be true, mind you, there are a lot of nice places in the world. But there might be some truth in this since so many people emigrate to US, right?

There's only one reason to come to the U.S. - To make money.  If you're poor, handicapped, mentally ill, lack educational credentials you are completely **** out of luck unless you find living in trailer parks to be accommodating, and chances are you won't unless you're white and fall into the 80-100 IQ range.

Edited by ComradeMaster

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Also I couldn't imagine teaching the 'worst day in America is better than the best day in other countries' when a good chunk of my kids are from other countries.

Regardless of the national origin of your students, it would stretch belief to teach that. Even discounting some of the truly heinous **** that has happened in the 200+ years the US has existed, a day spent getting evicted after losing your job in the US is going to be a lot worse than a day spent having fun with your friends and family in some other country. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

A bad day in the USA can still be pretty s----y.  Not like we are all universally nice to each other here.

But if I had to live anywhere else I'd pick Iceland. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Been my "place I'd want to live most assuming I could still make a living there" for many years. Beautiful, remote, of little strategic importance and therefore unlikely to face threats anytime in the future(?), weather's pretty close to what I'd consider ideal (despite its name, it's apparently not even as cold on average as Minnesota!), low population, very low crime, a little more Freedom(TM)-loving than most other European countries (look at them guns - politely and responsibly used unlike much of the U.S., too!), a little funny-sounding but nice enough language, high standard of living... But they'll probably never let us riffraff in for fear of us ruining it all.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Been my "place I'd want to live most assuming I could still make a living there" for many years. Beautiful, remote, of little strategic importance and therefore unlikely to face threats anytime in the future(?), weather's pretty close to what I'd consider ideal (despite its name, it's apparently not even as cold on average as Minnesota!), low population, very low crime, a little more Freedom(TM)-loving than most other European countries (look at them guns - politely and responsibly used unlike much of the U.S., too!), a little funny-sounding but nice enough language, high standard of living... But they'll probably never let us riffraff in for fear of us ruining it all.

Plus how cool is this? Jolabokaflod

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Plus how cool is this? Jolabokaflod

...and apparently, they're well-read too! ...Though I have no inkling on how to pronounce that particular tradition.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

49 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

A bad day in the USA can still be pretty s----y.  Not like we are all universally nice to each other here.

am not sure why some yutz in texas is somehow the voice o' american exceptionalism. sure, a bunch o' clowns clapped when he made the comment, and it appeared to resonate with skarp_one *chuckle* but let's be honest 'bout so-called american exceptionalism rather than making texas guy its poster child... and keep in mind am not specific directing this at gd. habit?

we don't necessarily agree, but american exceptionalism embraces conscious and w/o remorse the recognition many americans will fail and suffer. the opportunity to achieve greatness comes with admitted unpleasant social consequences. not everybody will succeed. not everybody is smart enough or works hard enough to achieve the american dream. however, for those who genuine strive to better their stars, there is ample opportunity in the US to achieve... whatever.

american exceptionalism is not how texas guy describes. american exceptionalism, perhaps a bit callous, embraces the existence o' poor and hopeless as actual some kinda proof that the system is working. there needs be an unpleasant cost for losing if you want people to join the race and try to win. 

whether is our health system or welfare or any number o' social programs, the american exceptionalist shakes head sadly at the misguided europeans (and texas guy) who just don't get it. what makes america exceptional is opportunity but if you want opportunity, the american exceptionalist demands personal responsibility. 

*shrug*

am not trying to sell american exceptionalism. is a whole lotta inequality inextricable worked into the system which makes opportunity for some far different than opportunity for others. am NOT supporting the narrative as it is most often presented. however, teaching kids how great is everything in the US compared to the rest o' the world is not teaching american exceptionalism. am thinking is worth pointing out how the guy from the john oliver video is the wrong pinata 'pon which to trade your swings.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

American exceptionalism never led to anything bad.

Central and South America beg to differ...only slightly though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif