Stinkbugs Shouldn't be in Grounded

While I have thoroughly enjoyed Grounded as a concept and in gameplay, I noticed something off while playing it. If the game is supposed to be set in the 1990s in North America, then stinkbugs shouldn't exist. This is because they are actually an invasive species native to China, Japan, and Korea, known as Brown marmorated stink bugs, that didn't make it to the US until 1998 where one was spotted in a small town in Pennsylvania. While this really isn't a big deal, in a game about bugs, you would expect a little closer detail. It would be interesting if the game would provide a reason for their appearance, either the setting being in Pennsylvania or maybe they are brought there by the lab and scientists in the game.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Gasp! 1

38 minutes ago, LaikaFromSpace said:

You're right that brown marmorated stink bugs are an invasive species, but there's also plenty of native stinkbug species in North America (eg. Brochymena, Euschistus)... There's plenty of stinkbugs to go around!

I agree with you however, the ones depicted resemble Brown marmorated ones, not really any other species.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, Pieschke45 said:

While I have thoroughly enjoyed Grounded as a concept and in gameplay, I noticed something off while playing it. If the game is supposed to be set in the 1990s in North America, then stinkbugs shouldn't exist. This is because they are actually an invasive species native to China, Japan, and Korea, known as Brown marmorated stink bugs, that didn't make it to the US until 1998 where one was spotted in a small town in Pennsylvania. While this really isn't a big deal, in a game about bugs, you would expect a little closer detail. It would be interesting if the game would provide a reason for their appearance, either the setting being in Pennsylvania or maybe they are brought there by the lab and scientists in the game.

The game has to announce background of stink bugs for it to be ok?  

The home owners could be Asian bug collectors.

1 hour ago, Pieschke45 said:

I agree with you however, the ones depicted resemble Brown marmorated ones, not really any other species.

If they changed the stink bug color It would then be ok?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Truth said:

The game has to announce background of stink bugs for it to be ok?  

The home owners could be Asian bug collectors.

If they changed the stink bug color It would then be ok?

Like I said, its not game breaking or anything, I just think it would be interesting if they provided a reason for them to be in the game, they could teach the players about the different types of insects and arachnids.

Changing the color and shape slightly would work too but again, its not that big of a deal, i just wanted to draw attention to it and see if something is done, hopefully in a fun and educational way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pieschke45 said:

Like I said, its not game breaking or anything, I just think it would be interesting if they provided a reason for them to be in the game, they could teach the players about the different types of insects and arachnids.

Changing the color and shape slightly would work too but again, its not that big of a deal, i just wanted to draw attention to it and see if something is done, hopefully in a fun and educational way.

I mean, they haven't explained anything yet.

My backyard does not have anthills sticking above the grass or juice boxes and cans everywhere.  No lady bugs or beetles.  It is full of slugs, worms (neither in game but usually in all backyards) and spiders.

Just have to wait and see. 

I grew up on a farm in Texas and remember stink bugs way earlier than 98 existing. Though you are right they do look different. I wouldn't go as far as to say they should be removed. Just redesigned or just accepted as creative freedom. We honestly can't go into tooooo much realism nitpicking for a EA game that not only has advanced AI but has it at such a small scale. Oh and we have shrinking tech so that also makes it hard to argue realism lol. Even the new water update showing leaches like crazy in the pond is already extra unrealistic with just the raw number of them in there. I am ok with all of it though honestly as long as it is fun and the environment reacts pretty genuinely to our presence and its own inner workings are realistic. 

3 hours ago, Citizen_Psyko said:

I grew up on a farm in Texas and remember stink bugs way earlier than 98 existing. Though you are right they do look different. I wouldn't go as far as to say they should be removed. Just redesigned or just accepted as creative freedom. We honestly can't go into tooooo much realism nitpicking for a EA game that not only has advanced AI but has it at such a small scale. Oh and we have shrinking tech so that also makes it hard to argue realism lol. Even the new water update showing leaches like crazy in the pond is already extra unrealistic with just the raw number of them in there. I am ok with all of it though honestly as long as it is fun and the environment reacts pretty genuinely to our presence and its own inner workings are realistic. 

I totally agree with you, and I'm aware of the other types of stinkbugs/shieldbugs in America, I just think a small redesign to ones native here or an explanation to why the brown marmorated ones are there would be an interesting way to help educate the player base about different insects and arachnids. Honestly, I made the title so severe to grab the attention of the developers and to hopefully have a change.

15 hours ago, shadowleach14 said:

"If the game is supposed to be set in the 1990s in North America" "Brown marmorated stink bugs, that didn't make it to the US until 1998", isn't 1998 still in the 1990's?

Yes but if you read the entire post or the rest of the sentence, you would know only a handful were found in one town in Pennsylvania in 1998, not the entire US. Also, the aesthetic of the game is indicative of the early 1990s, not the turn of the century.

My only issue with the stinkbugs is that I think they're too aggressive. I don't mind them being in the game although none of the ones I've ever encountered were aggressive but I do understand there are a few of them that are (but most are not).