Has anyone killed one without cheese yet?  All vids ive seen exploit broken physics. I only play 2-player,  & we’ve come close!  We have better weapons now, gonna try again tonight.   I imagine a group of 4 would have a better time against them. 
Orbs weavers are on farm though 😄

7 minutes ago, Highclass said:

Has anyone killed one without cheese yet?  All vids ive seen exploit broken physics. I only play 2-player,  & we’ve come close!  We have better weapons now, gonna try again tonight.   I imagine a group of 4 would have a better time against them. 
Orbs weavers are on farm though 😄

Nope.

No way to do it yet without cheese.  Not enough armor, not enough agility, not enough damage output. 

I've killed plenty but without terrain trapping and a bow, you're dead.  I even tried hiding in the lab and shooting through the door.  Wolf spider jumped right in. I'm dead.  Tried full acorn armor, full lady bug armor, full spider armor spamming smoothies and bandages.  Wolf spiders are just to fast and strong to melee battle.  And if you hit with arrow on ground face to face, they run and heal.

This is achieved via blocking using nut armor and mint mallet. Block (practice getting perfect blocks with Orb Weaver if needed) is easy to identify due to the spider rearing backwards just before an attack and then counter with a single swing. Repeat and do not get greedy trying to swing more than once (unless you get a stun, then get one extra swing). Best way I know without a bow.

I saw a clip of somebody killing a wolf spider in face-to-face combat. He parried every single attack and only counter struck when the spider had no chance of hitting back. It was a very drawn out battle but he did not take a single hit.

I have killed a few as a solo player. The wolf spider has 2 attacks and a huge reach/range. 

The first attack she goes a little bit back and than forward, you need to parry when she comes forward. 
The second attack is a jump attack, you need to parry as she land. 

Quick tips:

• Never attack first
  • Always attack after a block or parry
  • Never throw more than 1 hit, unless she is stunned, than add one more hit
  • Ant club or mint mallet are the best weapons
  • Always stay really close to her or you won't be at the necessary range to take a hit
  • Control your stamina, if depleted blocks won't work

A good practice is to kill Orb weavers, their unique attack is really similar to the first attack of the wolf spider. 

Let me know if you have any question, happy to help. 

Content Creator for Grounded at Youtube and Grounded Dossier  

What's everyone talking about with wolf spiders being hard, I solo them by kiting around them and very rarely get hit. Doesn't take many hits with mint hammer. I usually wear spider armor due to speed increase. Killed the 2 in the oak tree many times. No exploits, no heals needed... Am I doing something different? O.o

Edited by ChaoticDelusions

I've done it on medium difficulty, solo, without exploitation.  It was very far away and I used venom arrows to start, swapped to gas arrow when it would be in range and 'in the cloud' but attacking me (while I was outside the cloud barely) then used the mint hammer.  2 perfect blocks, 3 not-so-perfect blocks, several swings later.   A 3 combo swing (full drain on stamina) stunned it, giving me enough time to hit bandage button and 3 "smoothie?!"  for quick health.  I was in Ladybug armor.

It was still, a rough, scary, and close fight.  Since the update the 'physics' part of attacks seems to be catching me more often now, and instant killing me even with full health and ladybug armor. So I am not sure if the damage was increased, or if physics/momentum damage has gone haywire.

14 hours ago, ChaoticDelusions said:

What's everyone talking about with wolf spiders being hard, I solo them by kiting around them and very rarely get hit. Doesn't take many hits with mint hammer. I usually wear spider armor due to speed increase. Killed the 2 in the oak tree many times. No exploits, no heals needed... Am I doing something different? O.o

kiting around them, kiting into weeds, etc, is "cheesing" it.  They mean straight up you vs spider with only perfect block and movement as your option.  Since the wolf spider can turn on a dime (maybe quite literally) and attack in an arc - 'going around it' is rarely functional unless you have high speed increase. (with good armor, this means draining stamina, with weaker armor you get 1 shot  in, this means movement is increased at cost of damage mitigation)  

Since the game is 'buggy' and glitchy, I don't try to rely on 'speed' since moves, attacks and blocks all have a heavier than they should delay - and the 'indicator attacks' sometimes seem to 'speed' through the animations. This could be hardware problems, memory issues, performance and the like.  I am not saying it is not possible, just that one shouldn't rely solely on chance mechanics.

Also the '2' in the oak tree is subjective. I have personally had to fight 3 wolf spiders and 6 orb weavers at the base of the tree- all at once. (I tactically used terrain to exploit the fight, as it would be impossible without doing so)  this is the main reason I say 'spiders need longer respawn timers' and 'there should be fewer spiders' in the current game, the fights get unreasonable, very quickly, and the spiders don't fight each other - even though that happens in real nature.

Edited by Kissker

On 8/8/2020 at 7:37 AM, ChaoticDelusions said:

In my experience I find the spider armor easier to take on the wolf spiders and more versatile than the lady bug armor it allows me to side step it faster, back away from it's jump attack damaging me, running a a few foot away so it doesn't have a chance to bite me and with my stamina refilling faster I get that extra chance of attacking it 1 more time or using a block.

Depends on your definition of cheese. 1v1 I use an Insect Bow with venom arrows (3-5) before I commit to melee with a Mint Mallet. Parry when possible, block when you can't, and the fight is usually over in a minute or two. Early game just avoid them, but once you're geared they're really not that big of a deal.

4v1 I assumed would be easier but after digging around the files a bit I noticed a .uasset that hinted toward scaling enemies by # of players. So maybe 1v1 is the "easiest" way to do it? 

i must suck :)  they hand me my rear end and shoo me along to respawn.   I can block them, can sometimes perfect block them but missing that perfect block, at least for me, means i'm poisoned and dead.

Xbox One X

10 hours ago, dya4427 said:

Make a lvl 3 weapon MINT MALLET from those mints and it will do the job

again only if you get perfect blocks every time.  i have the mint hammer, doesn't help much if you miss a perfect block and get poisoned,  you die even with full health and using bandages, or at least i do.

Xbox One X

• 6 months later...