Jump to content

How do I get in and out of the lab without getting mauled?


Recommended Posts

The wolf spider under the oak tree is giving me significant trouble. 

 

I have arachnophobia. The orb weavers don't scare me unless they charge directly at me, but just the sight of the wolf spiders can send me into uncontrollable shivers. My heart stops when they rear up their front legs and let's not talk about what happens when their eyes turn red.

The problems begin when I go to the oak lab. The blind corner behind the leaf near the entrance is terrifying so I glide in from the nearby root to shorten my time on the ground. The biggest problem though, is getting out of the lab. The exit is in a cramped funnel that requires me to run and pray that I can scramble onto something before he catches me. That's heart-wrenching enough as it is but it doesn't stop there. He just sits right next to the door waiting for me to leave! He's just barely far enough from the door that I can get away, provided that I don't get caught on anything or miss a jump. 

I never travel during the night.

Is he supposed to sit at the entrance waiting for me to leave? Is there another way out? I can live with the other wolf spiders, running into them and subsequently dying to them is definitely terrifying, but getting camped at a funnel by a spider i can't see every time I want to see BURG.L is getting harder and harder for me.

 

I want to avoid using the arachnophobia filter as long as I can because it interrupts my immersion, but that level of terror just to get some quests and recipes is just too much. I will use it as a last resort.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by AndJrew76
Fixed typos
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tecknotot said:

Im sorry but somehow your post made me laugh.  Anyways, have you tried sneaking?  (that worked for me) 

Ill try that, i've always run like he's right behind me on the way in. Maybe if i'm not making so much noise he'll stay asleep.

Do you know if he wakes himself up during the day? I've seen him patrolling a few times but I wonder if it's because I'm too active around near his den and he wants to know what's going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same approach, get a good lay of the land from above then parachuting in. Getting in is easy, exiting is always a challenge. At least half the time I leave there's a spider waiting for me. I always leg it out and jump up on the root to the right (behind the rock with metal parts) and keep running. Takes a bit of practice but at least you're quickly up high and away from danger, temporarily. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Tartansnake said:

I have the same approach, get a good lay of the land from above then parachuting in. Getting in is easy, exiting is always a challenge. At least half the time I leave there's a spider waiting for me. I always leg it out and jump up on the root to the right (behind the rock with metal parts) and keep running. Takes a bit of practice but at least you're quickly up high and away from danger, temporarily. 

I usually jump off the metal scrap on the ground onto the root to the left, but what makes it difficult is the uncontrollable and almost paralysing terror that accompanies me until I can't see or hear the wolf. Just the knowledge that he's sitting there waiting for me is enough to make me sit there for a few minutes in an attempt to build courage so I can bolt out the door. 

I have yet to get eaten but  if  when I do, i'll probably just close my eyes and whimper until I respawn. I definitely need to check out the ant exit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, AndJrew76 said:

The wolf spider under the oak tree is giving me significant trouble. 

 

I have arachnophobia. The orb weavers don't scare me unless they charge directly at me, but just the sight of the wolf spiders can send me into uncontrollable shivers. My heart stops when they rear up their front legs and let's not talk about what happens when their eyes turn red.

The problems begin when I go to the oak lab. The blind corner behind the leaf near the entrance is terrifying so I glide in from the nearby root to shorten my time on the ground. The biggest problem though, is getting out of the lab. The exit is in a cramped funnel that requires me to run and pray that I can scramble onto something before he catches me. That's heart-wrenching enough as it is but it doesn't stop there. He just sits right next to the door waiting for me to leave! He's just barely far enough from the door that I can get away, provided that I don't get caught on anything or miss a jump. 

I never travel during the night.

Is he supposed to sit at the entrance waiting for me to leave? Is there another way out? I can live with the other wolf spiders, running into them and subsequently dying to them is definitely terrifying, but getting camped at a funnel by a spider i can't see every time I want to see BURG.L is getting harder and harder for me.

 

I want to avoid using the arachnophobia filter as long as I can because it interrupts my immersion, but that level of terror just to get some quests and recipes is just too much. I will use it as a last resort.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Aphid shoes.

2 aphids , 10 red mites. 

No more spider issues

  • Gasp! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, AndJrew76 said:

I completely glossed over those. Making them now.

Yup.

You'll laugh at spiders.  I had problems avoiding them as well.  I can't believe I played 8 hours before building.  Smdh.

I have gear to decimate spiders now 🤣

Good luck

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Truth said:

Yup.

You'll laugh at spiders.  I had problems avoiding them as well.  I can't believe I played 8 hours before building.  Smdh.

I have gear to decimate spiders now 🤣

Good luck

lol,

I could be wearing power armor and still be terrified of them. I would just be able to hit back while screaming instead of running away and screaming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AndJrew76 said:

lol,

I could be wearing power armor and still be terrified of them. I would just be able to hit back while screaming instead of running away and screaming.

My first two wolf spider kills were with a bow and eyepatch.  Had to terrain trap them then unload.  Then made insect bow. 

Life is pipe with insect bow.  QoL is up greatly.  With aphid shoes , I just strafe and shoot.  What Wolf? lol

 Next time I login I'll be testing out mint hammer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@AndJrew76, all suggestions above will help you a lot, one of them mentioned the anthill. You can go in and out of the lab through the anthill. There is a bug going on (effecting me and others) that the door lab rests and lock itself. So the solution players found was to climb the anthill wall, I have been doing that over and over again, no wolf spiders for me. I made a video of it to help other players, even though your game is not bug, you can applied. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Content Creator at Grounded Dossier 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am starting to get used the spiders. I am killing Orb Weavers with my newfound parry skills, but the wolf spiders still terrify the life outta me.

Despite this, I have stories to share regarding the resident wolf spiders.

 

I now use the abandoned ant hill when traveling to the oak lab but during first visit we were given a little surprise.

My friend and I were leaving the lab via the ant tunnel but I was lagging behind him a little ways. As he going out the exit I heard him scream that the spider was chasing him. I decided to leg it and get onto high ground before the wolf came back but as I rounded a very dark corner, (torch had died) I saw the silhouette of a massive spider slowly but very surely moving towards me. I was not expecting to see him in the tunnel with me. I didn't know he could even get into the tunnel. I then realized the spider hadn't actually seen him and was tracking his movements starting in the cave.

I turned around screaming and ran as fast as I could back to the parkour jump and made it in a record two attempts.

After we had calmed down he kept watch on the tunnel entrance while I started creeping back out towards him. No spider this time and I made it out of the ant hill without seeing the spider again.

I have not seen him in the tunnel since and I am very glad for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...