So after much deliberation over the course of the weekend, my friends and I (more commonly known as the Cheesebags) love the game to bits so far and have come up with some cool ideas for things we'd love to maybe see in future updates.

I will sort the lists into categories for convenience. 

Possible new Creatures:

• We decided to ballpark some new ideas for possible future creatures to add to the garden. Due to the wasps in the banner image on the steam page we assume you already intend to add them into the game. So we have left them out of this list, but below we have some of our other suggestions.
    • Bees
    • Mosquitoes
    • Butterflies
    • Moths
    • Dragonflies
    • Caterpillars
    • Centipedes
    • Fleas
    • Earthworms
    • Silverfish
    • Snails
    • Frogs/Tadpoles

Utilities:

• Ladders
    • We reckoned that ladders would be a useful way to ascend a built wall that might take up less floor space than stairs.
  • Zip-Lines
    • These could be a great method of travel between two fixed points, they could work either in a traditional sense and you'd slide from one higher point down to the lower. Or maybe they could work with some kind of pulley system from two points of equal height. 
  • Rope Swing
    • For this we figure like in lots of games you could either have a fixed anchor point built and you could jump to grab it and swing back and forth to clear some kind of gap. Or maybe it works on a portable sense somewhat akin to Indies Whip but functionally works the same, maybe with a sticky tip of some kind to attach to surfaces.
  • Elevators/Dumbwaiters
    • These could be excellent for those that built raised bases. Perhaps using some sort of pulley system one might be able to raise/lower a platform with chests on or a grass pallet. This would for sure help for more convenient item hauling in a vertical sense. 
  • Rowboats
    • We assume that the pond is going to have more to it, but we figure that a boat of some kind would be fantastic in traversing across the water. They would possibly be made from acorns leaves or lily pads. 
  • Rain Catcher 
    • This Item is dependent on a weather topic that will follow below. But if rain was ever implemented a receptacle of some kind to catch the rain would be brilliant. 
  • Stationary Slingshot Turret
    • This idea came about thinking about a kids slingshot, and maybe moving forward with that in mind maybe there could be some kind of stationary slingshot style item to launch the players over a great distance for easy travel with the gliders. This could be a really high demand recipe as it is a rather strong item to have.

Quality of Life:

• Inventory sorting function
    • This was one of the first things we came to yearn for in game, we fell that the ability to auto sort a storage container, your own backpack & and easier way to merge you personal inventory with that of the contained would be a much welcome addition.
  • Inventory stack increase
    • Due to the limited amount of storage space in the backpack and the containers, we really feel that the stack size of items could be increased to some degree. It feels like 10 is far too low as the inventory in your backpack alone fills up too quick and maybe increasing up to at least 20 would be great.
  • Craft 'X' quantity of item function 
    • This comes about due to the fact we feel crafting larger quantities of items takes too long when doing them one at a time. For example, being able to adjust the number of how many woven fibres you want to make based on the amount of planet fibres in your backpack and craft all at once would be a huge time saver. 
  • Pallet capacity increase
    • Similar to the inventory stack quantity feeling too low, we feel the same issue extends to the pallets. Considering how many grass planks in particular you need to build larger structures it would be very handy if the amount of planks you can get onto each pallet could be increased to maybe 30. This would prevent having to stop building and gathering planks almost every living second of the game as you burn through them so fast and building.
  • Storage Chest Naming
    • This one isn't nearly as major as the custom markers on the chests a already pretty cool. But maybe being able to add a name to a storage container just to further mark it with a specific kind of item would be neat, 
  • Equipped items not taking up an inventory slot
    • So far we feel that we dislike that the tools and certainly the armour take up a backpack slots while equipped. I'm not sure and the best way to go around dealing with this in the game in the cleanest way for the UI. But its definitely a thought we'd like to put out there to discuss with everyone. 
  • Ability to move built structures
    • For far it's been a bit of a pain placing a structure or utility item down in the wrong place and having to recycle it (receiving less materials) to move to another spot. Only to then to not have enough materials now and having to stop and go harvest more. Maybe having just the ability to move a completed base piece would be handy but obviously could be avoided currently by being very careful with where you but down blueprints. It would still however be a very handy feature to have.
  • Custom Blueprint Group
    • This one is inspired by other building games, namely Planet Zoo. In this game you have the ability to create a 'group' blueprint based on a structure you've made so that you could save it to a library and the whole blueprint of the structure could be placed in one motion to make it easier to make duplicate structures. This would be a fantastic feature to add as I would like to repeat a few structures we have made within the garden. 
  • Filter Specific Trail Markers
    • This one is another minor one, but even though there is already a way to hide the trail markers from the UI. We feel that being able to isolate certain ones, namely the quest ones while keeping all the other ones could be great. Because in our game at least, we know where to go for each of the major landmarks now but still use a lot of our own custom trail markers. But having our own in addition to the quest ones can be quite overwhelming and would like the ability to filter certain ones away. 

Additional 'Major' Features:

• Different weather variations
    • This one I'm sure has been brought up by others, but a weather feature with some of the usual classics, rain, drought, snow, overcast, humid could be neat and effect the game play in various ways based on each individual weather. I wont go through all of them as this paragraph would be gigantic but maybe a few examples might be that some of the games creatures might act differently or perhaps the rain might be very dangerous to travel through but would obviously be a plentiful source of water. 
  • Season Variations 
    • This one is similar to the weather note prior where maybe just some of the games features, game play mechanics and of course visuals might change up to complement the passage through the different seasons throughout the year in the garden. Understandable this one is a giant effort to bring to life but would be awesome on the less. 

Base Building:

• Below are just some off the cuff ideas we had for other base building items that could be added to spice things up.
    • Bunk Beds
    • Slime Mold Ceiling Light
    • Flower Petal Roof Pieces
    • Support Pillars/Columns
    • Bug Cage Trap

Equipment:

• This is the same as the above category but for general equipment. 
    • Thistle Armour (returns damage back to attacker)
    • Wing suits (possibly made from insect wings wasps/dragonflies etc)

At this moment in time these are all the suggestions for game play changes and possible future content that we the Cheesbags have come up with. We hope that future readers of this like some of our ideas and would be open to discussing their opinion on what we have brought up below, or even add their own ideas!

And lastly to the team over at Obsidian, we hope this might be useful information to all of those working on the game. Keep up the great work, even in early access we are having a blast and cant wait to see the next content update from you guys.

Stay Fresh!

- Corey.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just under here I'm going to keep the ideas from everyone in the thread so that in the event of crazy amounts of ideas flooding in we can keep most of the coverage from the topic up near the top for easy reading.

I will credit everyone accordingly for their ideas 🙂

-  AndJrew76  -

• Compass
      • It is really easy to get turned around when looking for resources or avoiding larger bugs and having a compass would help you keep a general sense of direction. I find that looking for landmarks can be very time consuming and taking your eyes away from your surroundings to look at your map in order re-orientate yourself can be dangerous.
    • Have a tiered threat warning
      • Each time something simple such as a lawn mite aggros onto the player the threat warning appears and the war drums begin to play. This makes sense and is reasonable, but I always think something bigger such as a spider or beetle have snuck up on me. I immediately scramble for high ground until I can confirm that there are no spiders trying to eat my face and I can relax. I think the threat warning text should be colored based upon the threat of the bug. For example the text would be green for the lesser enemies like lawn mites, yellow for the bugs that could pose a threat such as ladybugs and ants, and red for the bugs that are truly a problem if not taken seriously such as spiders and beetles.

-  Bricksanity  -

• Player Markers
      • I'd also like to see player markers that track as you move..its very easy to lose track of where your friends are when in combat
        • To add this this idea I think when you are looking towards a player the marker is already there, but I think it could do with an arrow rotating down to the bottom of the screen whenever you have your back to a another player which indicates which direction they are in.

Tamable creatures

• This is one that I reckon comes up a lot for many players. But I do really like the idea of being able to tame certain insects to maybe just have around player bases in order to defend them from threats. Then also down that same vein even have some mounts to ride around on much like in honey I shrunk the kids. Being able to ride an Ant or a Ladybug would be terribly fun and a great addition to the game.
Edited by Corey Ashley
Quoting the ideas of others to keep information easy to consume at the top of the thread.
  • Like 2

Totally man! It definitely makes sense to fashion it using insect wings. 

The glider slot in the inventory makes me think that there will be more options to come other than the dandelion. Here's hoping we get some other cool options.

Edited by Corey Ashley
Spelling error

Some extra ideas

• Compass
    • It is really easy to get turned around when looking for resources or avoiding larger bugs and having a compass would help you keep a general sense of direction. I find that looking for landmarks can be very time consuming and taking your eyes away from your surroundings to look at your map in order re-orientate yourself can be dangerous.
  • Have a tiered threat warning
    • Each time something simple such as a lawn mite aggros onto the player the threat warning appears and the war drums begin to play. This makes sense and is reasonable, but I always think something bigger such as a spider or beetle have snuck up on me. I immediately scramble for high ground until I can confirm that there are no spiders trying to eat my face and I can relax. I think the threat warning text should be colored based upon the threat of the bug. For example the text would be green for the lesser enemies like lawn mites, yellow for the bugs that could pose a threat such as ladybugs and ants, and red for the bugs that are truly a problem if not taken seriously such as spiders and beetles.
Edited by AndJrew76
  • Like 2

Hell yeh AndJrew76! a compass either as an item or in the UI would be super handy! And a big heckin yes on the tiered threat warning, I feel the exact same way about the battle music and fleeing for my life to only realise it was mites xD

Also yeh Bricksanity the player markers would be great. I think when you are looking towards a player the marker is already there, but I think it could do with an arrow rotating down to the bottom of the screen whenever you have your back to a another player which indicates which direction they are in.

Maybe even lowing in opacity the further away from you they get so you can figure out the distance they are from you too! 

Great ideas Guys!

• Like 1

Completely agree with the compass and tiered threat level. @Corey Ashley, might be a good call to add to the main post to consolidate ideas into one list. @AndJrew76 would this be alright? 

The wing suit is definitely something that I love, along with the zip lines. It would make traversing points which we frequently travel over less laborious. 

On a lighter note - the game is such a charming experience. We frequently catch ourselves speculating over the story and adore finding new caves and cracks to explore. :)

Stay fresh! 

• Like 1

@LokiPi I think it's a great idea, some great ideas could get buried under posts as more people add things. It would also keep everything organised. 

Not to sound selfish, though it probably is, I would want my name credited on the things that I contributed. I am too used to people taking my ideas and ignoring me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndJrew76 said:

@LokiPi I think it's a great idea, some great ideas could get buried under posts as more people add things. It would also keep everything organised. 

Not to sound selfish, though it probably is, I would want my name credited on the things that I contributed. I am too used to people taking my ideas and ignoring me.

@LokiPi It's deffo a great plan, I will add everyone's ideas to the list and make sure everyone is properly credited. Just building D&D terrain right now but will get onto it shortly. 

• Tamable creatures
    • This is one that I reckon comes up a lot for many players. But I do really like the idea of being able to tame certain insects to maybe just have around player bases in order to defend them from threats. Then also down that same vein even have some mounts to ride around on much like in honey I shrunk the kids. Being able to ride an Ant or a Ladybug would be terribly fun and a great addition to the game.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Birds would be a great addition, humming bird, a robin ( maybe use their eggs for consumable, craftable, currency related reasons? ) There is a bird bath as well... maybe we could put them to sleep and pick their feathers for better arrows and gear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Grounded Badger said:

NO! NO! NO! 

Irrational reaction to centipedes aside yes I'd agree they'd be an interesting enemy. 

We now return to irrational Badger. 

NO! NO! NO! 

This was exactly my reaction. "It was absolute horror...would be cool though...but why would you do this to us?!" With a few more choice words to boot XD 

@Corey Ashley Tameable creature are a definite. I've sunk so many hours into Ark and I adored it then. (RIP Fruits and Fibre my first ever dilo tames). 

Anyways. Would be great to have them included. Even if we don't get to ride, would be useful as a pack pony. Load up the ants and begin your trek. 

Basic farming elements would also be great. Like aphid farms for the dew? Apparently Ants do this in real life.

@Zova love the idea of bird feathers being included in the game. Imagine being small and getting a full feather to work it. Would be amazing. It's whether the Devs will want to keep things bug related or not. 

Yeh I like the bird feathers too @Zova 😄 

Dunno how people might feel about killing them for feathers and consumables as its slightly an act of heavy guilt than killing insects is.

But maybe if can be that you can find the feather around the garden or in its nest. And maybe the bird itself might be a huge in game threat that has to be avoided at any cost because it cant be defeated. and kinda patrols the garden like a garden boss taking out insects at random. 

Thoughts? 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

There are already tadpoles and I think frogs would be too large to add. I’m hoping we see more decorations and furniture, new building types and armors with the existing newer bugs, etc I made a sort of museum with the stuff we have now but it’s not much. I’d like to be able to put on black ant armor(the existing one) and a new termite armor to blend in inside their lairs for resource collecting like the red ants have.