Character Progression/Class System

Ormag

On 8/8/2020 at 3:41 AM, Esquizo said:

I wish it was possible to play with a Necromancer, I miss Necromancers in current RPG games. 😭
It would also be nice to be able to choose a permanent Familiar (Wizard) 
Imp 😍

Maybe we will get ranger pets.

I don't think we ever had necromancers in eora, it was mostly fampyrs who "controlled" the undead.  Perhaps you wish for animancers?

Edited by Ormag

39 minutes ago, Ormag said:

I don't think we ever had necromancers in eora,

Chanters somewhat fill that playstyle, if summons are ones thing. Necromancy as such doesn't exist as such in Eora, and practicing animancy on the battlefield would kinda break established lore. Though mix wizard using Concelhault spells (which if trailer is anything to go by should have at least some) with chanter's summons, and we get a very necromancy character.

• Like 1

There is Necromancy in Eora. Helig von Thein in PoE practiced (arcane) necromancy (nekrós, greek=death) to keep his body from decaying after death (which causes normal vessels to go crazy for essence) and combined it with (scientific) animancy (animus, latin=soul) to attach his soul to his dead body.

I was one of the first animancers in the Dyrwood. Practiced necromancy, too…

Concelhaut did something similar, but with other techniques apparently. He is a known Necromancer.

I believe (don't know if that's "official" lore) that only arcane dabblings with the dead/undead/spirits is called necromancy - so necromantic wizardry basically. While Chanters have quite some abilities that also deal with those themes I believe (?) that this would not be called necromancy - at least officially. But that last part is only guesswork. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think necromancy in Eora is closer to animancy than wizardry in that it seems to be more experimental and not as applicable to combat situations as spells. Aside from the already discussed wizard spells and chanter summons, I don't see the player character becoming a researcher that plays with dead bodies but whose to say? Maybe they'll go full hog and release a Dawnguard ripoff that lets you turn into a fampyr.

I haven't played TOW yet, but it wouldn't be surprising to see them go the New Vegas route and have a couple of animal (or robot vessel) companions as options in addition to kith followers. If they do this, my guess is we see at least a dog, an imp, and something weird.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

14 hours ago, Boeroer said:

I believe (don't know if that's "official" lore) that only arcane dabblings with the dead/undead/spirits is called necromancy - so necromantic wizardry basically. While Chanters have quite some abilities that also deal with those themes I believe (?) that this would not be called necromancy - at least officially. But that last part is only guesswork. 

Yes, I didn't mean to say necromancy doesn't exist, but it doesn't exist in a way it does in DnD. It's seems like a more delicate and time consuming process, then casting a spell and bringing people back to life as undead. It is possible the necromancy could become more common or easier to practice if Obsidian wishes it to be so, but it could go against PoEs goal of making death a bit more permanent then it is in DnD.

Personally, I would rather see "animancer" class, then "necromancer" - perhaps crafting constructs, sucking enemies souls with gizmos, making souls bombs. 🤪

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hope they step away from the PoE system and instead, whilst going fo open classes still. Where you have an advantage if you build your character according to your class choice; where you can build a potent fighter even if you are druid, but put those limitations on how far skills (actual skills, none of that PoE "specialization" stuff) can advance. And move on from there.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

On 8/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, Wormerine said:

You over complicate things. Picking colour should only determine what ending you get - red explosion, green explosion or blue explosion. Otherwise casuals will get confused.

maxresdefault.jpg.thumb.png.55aa5210f6d3aa4eb8de2fe7d9293eab.png

• Haha 1

I hope they go for an open system: something like Tyranny, such as previously mentioned, would go nicely. 'Twould be nice to have Josh's classless system, but with him not being part of the project I don't think we will.

I would not mind some variations of Deadfire system, probably more open. 

There could be several "trees" with skills. And you can combine them freely, but coolest stuff is later or at top so it could be wise to finish your Barbarian tree before going rogue.

It is definetly important to be spellsword with sword in one hand and fireball in other.

Locking choice at character creation is probably bad, since at first gameplay i have no idea what i want or what that even means. So cant really pick wisely.

Each player can have their own image of best class ever, it could be soulblade or arcane knight or necrobard... you cant guess them all, so just give many combinations, and some cool attacks to back it up, and let imagination do the rest.

Classless System with trees?

Tyranny system is ok.

More important question is how many special attacs and spells there will be.

Edited by evilcat

14 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I actually don't like that. It's pretty much a class system but with weak class trees, and tries to hide it by showing all trees at once. 

I wouldn't call it a class system.  Aside from choosing starting stats it's pretty much open.  I do like the "do something to get better at it" method like tyranny and kingdom come.  Though that basically means there would be no classes.

Edit: the skill trees could be considered "classes" but they don't get locked off.  You could potentially mix and match different skills from different trees .. not optimal but it's still doable 

Edited by Theonlygarby

Personally I hope that you can spend points on skills or attributes or select abilities/talents( like DnD or PoE ) instead of the "learning by doing" approach of Skyrim. Skyrim style leads to grinding which I consider boring. Please let us not craft 100 steel swords until the skill gets high enough so we can craft gold swords. Morrowind encouraged the player to jump and run all the time when moving from A to B. Or you sneak all the time just to get better.

I think Gothic 1+2 had the best open world level up system. Spend points for trainers which need to be found and sometimes unlocked by a quest or joining a faction.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, Boeroer said:

if it would use Josh's TTRPG class(less) system that would be great. The multiclass system of Deadfire (or something along the lines) would also be nice. I guess the game will not have as many abilites to pick from though (as is the case with most single character first-person games). Passives are easy and cheap to develop, but active abilities are expensive because of animation, VFX and SFX. Since most players only play a game once (and most of those don't even finish) it seems like a waste of resources to develop a ton of abilites that most players won't even see/use. In party based games that's different.

Sorry for the necro. I was looking over the latest for Josh Sawyer's paper rules and saw that it is class based with a backdoor option to be classless. Upon character creation you pick either one or two power sources and you can use abilities that utilize that source. The back door is player created abilities. I now think this is were Avowed is going. They'll have classes and the option to duel class with some kind of in game system to allow players to use or make new abilities, kind of like Watcher abilities but maybe customizable.

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, MayaBrowne said:

I'm new and would like to know more information.

Know more regarding what? How Pillars of Eterniry1&2 worked, or how Avowed will work? As far as Avowed is concerned, we know quite literally nothing - not even what type of "First Person RPG" it is to be.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:35 PM, MayaBrowne said:

I'm new and would like to know more information.

Here's a truncated version of what we *know*:

(1) Avowed is being developed by Obsidian (duh), the developers of Outer Worlds, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.

(2) Avowed is set in Eora, the same fantasy setting for the Obsidian games: Pillars of Eternity, and Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire.

(3) Avowed is a fantasy RPG, likely first person.

That's all we *know*. There some things we could deduce, and there are some things which are rumoured/leaked (but unverified). There's speculation that Avowed won't release until 2023, but that's just conjecture currently.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gingereno42 said:

Here's a truncated version of what we *know*:

(1) Avowed is being developed by Obsidian (duh), the developers of Outer Worlds, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.

(2) Avowed is set in Eora, the same fantasy setting for the Obsidian games: Pillars of Eternity, and Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire.

(3) Avowed is a fantasy RPG, likely first person.

That's all we *know*. There some things we could deduce, and there are some things which are rumoured/leaked (but unverified). There's speculation that Avowed won't release until 2023, but that's just conjecture currently.

i'd also like to add there's conjecture that it'll use the Unreal 5 engine, which is a big  upgrade from unreal 4(like we saw in outerworlds)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 9:21 PM, Katakinetic said:

i'd also like to add there's conjecture that it'll use the Unreal 5 engine, which is a big  upgrade from unreal 4(like we saw in outerworlds)

I wouldn't be surprised, since UE5 will have been around a lot by the time Avowed releases. Apparently it also transfers projects from UE4 very well, so I don't see why not. Which we would great!

As well, aside, we know based on the trailer that the goddess Woedica is likely to be involved in the story (she's brought up a lot in the reveal trailer)