I've been playing the same game for about 12 hours since release, and me and my son have reached a point where we're ready to tackle ladybugs. However, after looking for several in-game days, all around the map, we have yet to find anymore ladybugs. When we first started, they were all over the place. Now, there don't seem to be spawning. The only thing I can figure is that there is a limit to how many bugs can spawn in any given world and the Larva seem to be over spawning especially underground. I probably killed 20 of them underground (standing on a quartzite) and I got tired of killing them before I just left with more larva bits than I know what to do with. The other reason I've concluded this is because near my camp, on certain times during the day, a train of about 15 - 20 larva move in and out of hole in the ground. Also, this is impacting gnat spawn rates.. There are no more flying around the water sources, but that isn't halting my progression.

I've noticed in my game (PC) that all bugs spawn rate have almost disappeared.... very little to no wandering ants, even if you set up a flower trap, and no ladybugs, except for the one I found deep in the abandoned ant hill.

• Like 1

Yes, my game (PC) has become a ghost town after about 16 hours of game play as I have no; gnats, ladybugs, ants (above ground), grubs, or aphids to be seen. I've tried loading my saved game in both single and multiplayer modes with no increase in spawns. Sad Face.

So I've been doing a little testing in my world. I initially abandoned my first base, but because I didn't want bugs getting stuck on my grass walls, I recycled all of them. Around 25 grass walls, bringing the lay-around grass blades to about 40 to 60. After several hours of playing, I noticed that the grass remains there on the ground untouched and not attached to anything in the world, e.g. built into something new or placed into a grass blade container.  While it might not be the root cause of the lifeless world, it certainly can't help it. I think there should be a faster decay timer on blades of grass just lying around. I also piled several stacks of blades on the ground around my new base to just have. So all in all, we've counted around 100 blades of grass just lying around in the world. Me, along with my son, have been building these piles into grass walls and recycling them down to remove them from the world. I also took some time to kill about 15 larva (above ground) and it seems to be helping as some of the flies around the swamp areas have started spawning again. I certainly don't think this is the primary reason this is happening, and it might be correlation not causation. The issue is probably somewhere else either spawn stacking, or stuff spawning underground taking up precious memory. Still no lady bugs, but the big wolf-spider has returned after a minimum of 6 rl hours of showing no sign. Progression has all but stopped at this point, because ladybug parts are necessary to continue. I'm hoping this is a known issue and will at the very least be addressed in a forthcoming patch.

There are three of us playing together and we are on day 40. Our ladybug spawns seemed to stop around day 20-25. We did find one spawned inside a rock as well as other critters stuck in other objects. Around day 35 or so, the dew spawns on the grass stopped as well as the ones that fall from the oak tree. Most of the other spawns seem normal. Orb weavers are still spawning at the log wall. Larva in the science station tunnel are back too and there are still plenty of ants, stink bugs and bombardier beetles. We only have partial sets for lady bug armor so having a tough time with the wolf spiders. We essentially have nothing left to do.

If there is a cap on number of objects in the world as you speculate then I certainly hope they have a decay timer at all on abandoned objects. There's quite a few arrows that lays abandoned around that I missed picking up the first time (or because a mob ran off with it without me bothering to chase). Even if these don't add to the cap of things in the world, it will certainly degrade performance eventually. Stuff not in containers decaying eventually and mechanics that help balance the bug population of the world (despawning unnecessary quantities) would really help improve current and potentially future issues.