Acorn Top Shield (weak hand)

It would be awesome if an upgrade to the blocking system was a thing. Considering the substantial damage to your armor and HP when you dont get a perfect block it would be nice to have a shield that took most of the damage if not all of the damage when not blocking perfectly. 

• Like 3

I don't think we need shields. I do fine blocking and I suppose the devs wants players to defend themselves in different ways than they're used to from other games.

Simply mastering the blocking mechanic is already rewarding rather than cowering behind a 100% block shield.

I support the current blocking system, it's a nice change of what we're used to.

• Like 1

A shield would be cool to look at while playing.  

That would need to be repaired as well though.  

Having a shield feels more action/adventure.  Fighting big enemies and plowing through large groups.  Strategy/survival is more avoiding most battles, killing when necessary and maintaining gear and resources.

Yes, I would use a shield. I would have 2 at a time, barely ever repair armor (if I even need to wear it) and have no need to run from most enemies.  Face tank everything.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:09 PM, Dragagon said:

I don't think we need shields. I do fine blocking and I suppose the devs wants players to defend themselves in different ways than they're used to from other games.

Simply mastering the blocking mechanic is already rewarding rather than cowering behind a 100% block shield.

I support the current blocking system, it's a nice change of what we're used to.

I wouldn't consider a Shield as cowering. In most games where you have a team you have 1 healer, 2 dps, 1 tank. Normally the tank is not cowering and is in fact taking the most blows. However, since I've posted this a while ago, I've already adapted to the point where I've killed both Oak Tree wolf spiders with an insect bow.

7 minutes ago, RobbySaturn said:

Where at? I definitely want to see

Not sure if forum allows links to YouTube but if you Google search "grounded next updates" or "grounded koi armor" you should find a few that contain the shield. 

Apparently you don't block with it.  It just reduces damage recieved from blocking.

8 minutes ago, Truth said:

Not sure if forum allows links to YouTube but if you Google search "grounded next updates" or "grounded koi armor" you should find a few that contain the shield. 

Apparently you don't block with it.  It just reduces damage recieved from blocking.

It's called the "weevil shield" and the icon is the acorn. I wonder if this post inspired devs

1 hour ago, RobbySaturn said:

It's called the "weevil shield" and the icon is the acorn. I wonder if this post inspired devs

“Lets briefly pause all development to quickly create this suggested item.” Absolutely not. What we’ve seen thus far is but a fraction of what they’re currently working on to put into this game. 
Happy Friday enjoy the weekend!

30 minutes ago, Highclass said:

“Lets briefly pause all development to quickly create this suggested item.” Absolutely not. What we’ve seen thus far is but a fraction of what they’re currently working on to put into this game. 
Happy Friday enjoy the weekend!

Then what is the entire purpose of having a forum dedicated to suggestions if they're not going to use any of them?

There is currently a acorn shield in game, it is non-functional right now as the mechanic hasn't been introduced yet. The game is (by my definition) in Late Alpha stages, so changes to combat system and items and even AI are expected.

The acorn shield can be obtained (although is not very functional, and may have a placeholder icon/image) via console commands and cheats, but IS in the game files, as well as other things like a harpoon gun/harpoons, rebreather, etc. (all requiring things not in the game yet, like leach parts)

This means we can expect, in the least Mosquitos, Leaches, and Bees, the ability to be under water longer (not permanent yet it seems) and harvest special under water materials (not currently in game as harvestable)