Character Progression

Just a suggestion on adding to the game. It would be nice to see some sort of character progression with the tools/weapons being used. For instance, using the bow would increase your character's ability with it and unlock new crafting recipes (such as arrows, quivers, etc.), special attacks (multishot), increase base damage, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been thinking similarly! What if science could be used to buy a perk tier/perk point, and each character could invest perk points in a system similar to that of the Outer Worlds. Nothing crazy, but enough that you could specialize your character in a way that assists your style of play!

• Like 2

I feel like, at current, there's zero room for growth. All the game is, is a base building sim with a fun little intro involving a robot, with a few hidden bits of info about the world. 

Without a developed storyline there's no goal besides base building and the exploration that goes with it. I've already explored most of the map and built a base I love so I'm already wondering what to do with the game and its less than a week old. I want to level up my character, I want new materials and blue prints and crafting recipes to discover. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling they will include more to the story. I found a locked lab in the "haze" which has yet to be unlocked, so it's likely they will be adding more... story shouldn't limit character progression though, as surving 30 days should at the least provide some sort of perks. Even a simple EXP system could help, but the game in it's current state, even with more storylines, would benefit from this idea.

• Like 1

Game in early access, barely a week in, and the amount of time you’d have to invest in order to have done everything is quite extensive.

I think the way it was released is awesome, we get a very fun experience with the chance to offer feedback like this.  Just can’t be asking for the world or criticizing their efforts too much.

An update is already slated for end of August and they want to do content updates every month.  I say keep up with the feedback and suggestions, but don’t get too upset you played for 20+ hours in an unfinished game and ran out of stuff to do.

2 hours ago, Anvilrage said:

Game in early access, barely a week in, and the amount of time you’d have to invest in order to have done everything is quite extensive.

I think the way it was released is awesome, we get a very fun experience with the chance to offer feedback like this.  Just can’t be asking for the world or criticizing their efforts too much.

An update is already slated for end of August and they want to do content updates every month.  I say keep up with the feedback and suggestions, but don’t get too upset you played for 20+ hours in an unfinished game and ran out of stuff to do.

I agree allot of what I am seeing as "feedback and suggestions" is just inevitable stuff. Everyone is already aware of the lack of story and progression. And simply stating we need more is not really helpful. They clearly already have a general story in mind and have laid the groundwork down for that story.  Honestly I think the way they are building this game so far is spot on how everyone should. They made a great looking game with a great concept and developed just enough of the main systems to make it playable and fun. They have a ton of room to work with and tons of material to pull from on ecosystems. At this point we just need more depth in how the insects and arachnids interact with each other and the player. The best suggestions for now would be what style of progression should they aim at. I am personally all for a more extroverted skill system that is based around your gear and ability to craft better or upgrade current gear/buildings. I am also a sucker for their choice in research system. I love that burst of energy you get when you get a new item, but hate when it turns out to either only be good for 1 meh thing or something I already have. They are definitely on the right path for this game in every way. Once they have stabilized every current system to a reasonable degree I think the idea of adding newer aspects or upgrading the original systems will violently change the complexity and replay ability of this game. It is just to early to give feedback in vague terms like "We just need more" as if the current context implied they weren't going to be adding more already. The story mission was even clearly a decent "tutorial" vector lightly guiding you to solve issues using the games basic mechanics. Chop down a grass stalk. Kill low level mites. Then it sends you on a well pointed out exploration mission to discover BURG.L and sets up the beginning of a infinite quest cycle(smart call adding this feature first btw). From here it seems pretty clear they can update pretty much any aspect to the game and it would send shock waves of positive change through peoples experiences. The wife and I both purchased this so early for that soul reasoning. This has insane potential to be an amazing survival game and has already started on an amazing foot. The main thing I am waiting to see is how the next 3 updates go. Do they stick to the monthly schedule pretty well? Does each update feel like enough improved to warrant a monthly update or should they put them out every 2 or 3 months?