Building underground...?

I just wanted to post about my disappointment when finding out you are unable to build underground.  I found a cave just below the surface and wanted to make it my home. However, when trying to place a workbench in there it just would not allow it.

Now, don’t get me wrong... it’s an enjoyable game and I’m having fun with it!

I’m just not much of a builder, more of an explorer. So for me, to find a nice cave, saves me time. I really feel you should be able to build and place things underground. Creating boundaries and restrictions like that really detracts from the overall “sandbox” nature of the environment.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? Thanks for reading. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tried posting a topic with the exact same issue as:

On 7/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, Rufus Hotz said:

I just wanted to post about my disappointment when finding out you are unable to build underground.  I found a cave just below the surface and wanted to make it my home. However, when trying to place a workbench in there it just would not allow it.

Now, don’t get me wrong... it’s an enjoyable game and I’m having fun with it!

I’m just not much of a builder, more of an explorer. So for me, to find a nice cave, saves me time. I really feel you should be able to build and place things underground. Creating boundaries and restrictions like that really detracts from the overall “sandbox” nature of the environment.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? Thanks for reading. 

Alas, after trying and trying at every location imaginable, I wasn't able to build underground either. Also tried building in a soda can. Depends on which one you pick (they must have earth innit I think to succeed) it can be fixed. Made an entire outpost in the one near the flat stones in the North West. Shame about the underground tunnels and whatnot. I'd love to build in there :(

• 3 months later...

One alternative is the "secret cave' in the Hedges.  It's a great place for a smallish base or satellite base, in a natural cave. (Yes, I mean the cave with all the any heads on sticks and the human/ant effigy on the wall, and the Rotten Ant Club.)

I managed to squeeze in a lean-to, workbench, smoothie maker, storage, lighting and more in that cave and aside from the creepy heads it's been safe thus far.

Not underground per se, but a great safe spot to camp out in and in a decent spot.