Save system in Survival games - No consequences

In the demo, we had a limited time to explore and survive. Then the game ended and all your progress was lost. Understood and fine for a demo.

Now I see there is a auto-save system that you can adjust to expand or limit the amount of saves the system can make at certain intervals. Fine, set it to zero and we have true survival.

BUT, I also see there is a manual save feature in the main menu. This reduces the risk in a survival game to ZERO. There are no consequences for taking risks, dieing to a difficult enemy, losing your possessions, losing your base to attack...etc etc....zero consequences because you can just LOAD up a prior save point and you are fully restored like nothing bad ever happened. 

If the intent is for this to be a kid friendly survival game, ok...ai get it then. But it doesn’t have to be only that. Allow a mode where there is no manual save system, just a auto save that saves based on system events, not time intervals. That way auto save kicks in when you gain items but also when you LOSE ITEMS, yet the player never knows when the save happens.

Save systems in survival games removes risk, please consider allowing a mode that has no manual saves.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Uberkull said:

If the intent is for this to be a kid friendly survival game, ok...ai get it then. But it doesn’t have to be only that. Allow a mode where there is no manual save system, just a auto save that saves based on system events, not time intervals. That way auto save kicks in when you gain items but also when you LOSE ITEMS, yet the player never knows when the save happens.

Save systems in survival games removes risk, please consider allowing a mode that has no manual saves.

Having a specific 'NO AUTO SAVE' mode would be an awesome idea (or a mid-game difficulty toggle).

I think overall: death lacks a certain 'oomph.' The transition to the third-person view of my character falling is too quick, there's no controller rumble to make it feel weighty, etc. I would have liked maybe an FP view of my character getting woozy and collapsing--the third-person pull-out is really jarring. 

And on a side note: I've had the game crash twice immediately after dying in combat. I was thrown to the Xbox home screen.

Edited by JaxWall
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...