Linux

cloudline

The announcement only says Xbox and Windows - and I highly doubt that Microsoft will put in any effort to release it for Linux navitely. But since it's the Unreal engine you will be able to play it on Linux via Steam Proton soon enough I guess. At least I didn't encounter a game that I couldn't play via Proton at some point after release.

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

34 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

The announcement only says Xbox and Windows - and I highly doubt that Microsoft will put in any effort to release it for Linux navitely. But since it's the Unreal engine you will be able to play it on Linux via Steam Proton soon enough I guess. At least I didn't encounter a game that I couldn't play via Proton at some point after release.

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately for me I boycott Steam.

• Thanks 1

Worth noting that Obsidian had dropped both GOG and Linux for The Outer Worlds even prior to the Epic deal and the Microsoft aquisition.

Could be attributed to the publisher, but it's not like Microsoft will be any better in that regard.

💔

• Thanks 1

The Outer Worlds was done with Unreal while PoE and Deadfire were done with Unity3D. If guess it was just easier to build a Linux version with Unity than it is with Unreal. 

Since Avowed is also using Unreal and the official release platforms are XBox and Windows and Microsoft has no reason to support gaming on Linux I don't think there will be an official Linux version... ever. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

The Outer Worlds was done with Unreal while PoE and Deadfire were done with Unity3D. If guess it was just easier to build a Linux version with Unity than it is with Unreal. 

Since Avowed is also using Unreal and the official release platforms are XBox and Windows and Microsoft has no reason to support gaming on Linux I don't think there will be an official Linux version... ever. 

Unreal engine support Linux, but I don't see Microsoft ever releasing a game on Linux.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

It does support Linux in theory, but it's much more complicated to get to a functioning build (when your main focus is XBox/Windows) than with Unity3D (where's it's also not a sure-fire success).

Or just get an Xbox if you don't want to use a Windows PC or ? Not trying to stir the pot! So no flammage! Please.

But it's labeled Xbox console and windows of exclusive. Meaning there's no intention of a build for anything outside of those. Remember, these guys are now a 1st party XB game studio.