Gods in Avowed

Speculation time. So I really loved the wacky imagery of the gods in PoE II. The statue in the teaser trailer for avowed has to be Galawain right? He looks a lot more like a majestic human and a lot less treebeard like. Do you guys think/hope we get the wacky titty fish Ondra and other more abstract god visuals in Avowed or do you think the team will do mainstream versions?

My wish is that it will remain in the same style. I'd love to go to a temple somewhere and see a beautiful 3D statue of Wael in all his glory with eyes all over the place and stuff like that.

Edited by TheisEjsing

PoE2 god aspect that we see are reflection of Deadfire culture, with local gods adapted for the "real Gods" purposes (as we learn from SSS). So it's all depends on what Aedyr(?) culture is like. The statue does suggest a more western-like representation with kith-like images of gods, rather then a worship of nature. Of course, assuming it is indeed a statue of a god, and not some local worship or a Lord or a war hero.

However, we can get a balanced mix. Some gods are weird no matter how you do them - even in humanoid form in PoE1 Wael shifty nature was rather bizzare. I think if you do Wael and not make it trippy you are missing the point. 

Personally, I liked wordy descriptions in PoE1 to be more effective then paintings in PoE2. 

• Like 1

Some of the gods have different names and/or appearances/manifestations depending on the region/culture or even time period.  There is also a difference between how the gods are depicted in carvings/statues in an area and what they decide to show themselves as to someone.

For example, Berath is the Aedryan name. But it is Cirono for the Vailians, Rikuhu (Kohopa/Tangaloa) for the Huana and Bewnen i Ankew/ Ankew i Bewnen for the Glanfathans. For the appearance, Glanfathan use two skeletons (one male/one female). Huana use two eels. The Pallid Knight is the youngest manifestation of Berath and the one It use to talk to people. The Usher is one of the oldest and can be human or dwarf, but doesn't talk.

Fishtits-Ondra is Ngati, the Huana manifestation. It's quite unlikely we will see her outside of the Deadfire Archipelago. Or even see her at all, she never talks to kiths, the Deadfire plot is an exception.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Man it's been too long since I played. I totally forgot about that. I just remembered it as since the Watcher could be from any culture, he/she just saw the gods "base" forms. Well, I suppose I could get used to see the Valian Rymgrand with combed fur and a fancy hat. 😄

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Hmmm 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 6:58 AM, morhilane said:

Some of the gods have different names and/or appearances/manifestations depending on the region/culture or even time period.  There is also a difference between how the gods are depicted in carvings/statues in an area and what they decide to show themselves as to someone.

Deadfire also made it clear that, when the Engwithans decided to retcon the universe, they incorporated existing divine legends into the gods they manifested, or that the new gods absorbed or claimed existing legends as their own. It's a pretty neat fantasy explanation for syncretism, which was a common real-world phenomenon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seeing "Aedyran Galawain" in the trailer reminded me of the Cinders of Faith side quest in Pillars 1. Fyrga offered us a glimpse into how the some of the Dyrwood viewed Magran; concerned with martial excellence and strategic prowess, strong but not brutal, etc. Ostensibly, this perspective is a meme (I'm using technical definition of the word here) that has evolved from, but is still based on the regions Aedyran roots.

All this to say that I think a statue of Magran depicted as a young, vibrant woman in full armor is the reason that most of us saw a majestic human with a wolf and immediately recognized it as Galawain. Aedyran gods are going to be a lot more buttoned up than the versions we saw in Deadfire.

Also, what morhilane said regarding Berath/The Pallid Knight above :)

• Like 4

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."