What is intended with Faction companions?

So seems to me that there are 4 competing Major* factions embodied by: 

Maia Rua faction Royal Deadfire Company

Pellagina faction Vailian Trading Company

Sarafen faction Principi sen Patrena

Tekehu faction Huana

My question is it intended to pick from 1 of these 4 for party composition so that when you support one and only one of those factions will the unchosen 3 companions be pissed at you?  Or could you pick 2 to 4 of them to go adventuring?  For example if I support Huana and adventure with Tekehu what happens if I also have Maia Rua along and we are doing something that wouldn't be acceptable to someone of the Royal Deadfire Company?  Should I just experiment and see what happens?  But maybe I don't want to waste xp on a party member that eventually must be booted to the curb?  Right?

*note: also minor factions

It really depends. There are some faction resolutions that will result in your party members leaving permanently. Without letting out spoilers it's hard to say. There are some faction resolutions that involve destroying another faction, and the party member who aligns with that faction will leave. However, there are other factions that--while not the same as the party member's faction alignment--won't require you to destroy that party member's faction, so while the party member may not be the most pleased, they also won't leave. For the most part, with one exception, it's only this final faction quest that causes party members to leave, so while they may broadcast some suspicion or be displeased as you go adventuring, they generally won't leave until the very end. I think it's even possible to piss off multiple faction/party members into leaving at the same time, though my memory is hazy on this.

In general, I pick two-ish story companions, and fill in the rest with sidekicks or hirelings. I've only rarely ever dealt with party members leaving when I wasn't expecting it, and it was always Pallegina for some reason :) (it doesn't help that Pallegina will also leave if you botch a relatively early-mid game quest, which is the one exception to the "only end game quest causes party members to leave" that i can think of).

If all else fails you can go the "anarchists" path and don't align with any faction and just build up your ship to brave the final area by yourself. No one gets pissed at you and leaves. (Also principi is a pretty safe faction to align with, in tems of pissing people off.)

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, thelee said:

If all else fails you can go the "anarchists" path and don't align with any faction and just build up your ship to brave the final area by yourself. No one gets pissed at you and leaves.

You don't even have to build up your ship. As none of the factions appeal enough to me, this is what I've done in both of my playthroughs. I don't ultimately side with anyone, and as I'm not really interested in shipbuilding, I take the alternative route in that, too (I'm sure you know what it is).

What I do wonder is whether it's always the same faction you encounter at the final location, if you've sided with none of them. It was for me, in both of my playthroughs.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, xzar_monty said:

I don't ultimately side with anyone, and as I'm not really interested in shipbuilding, I take the alternative route in that, too (I'm sure you know what it is).

Well... [spoiler below]

You side with Woedica stating that humanity can't solve it's own problems and needs Godly authority to control them 😉

Edited by Wormerine

• 3 months later...