This Reddit post shows a DM from Obsidian (Mikey Dowling) explaining Third Person wouldn't be in The Outer Worlds, but its something they know is in demand and will look into for future games (Grounded was given as an example). This was posted well before Avowed was revealed, and given that game will have Microsoft's full backing, I'd say the chances are pretty likely Avowed will have a third person mode.

Edited by TheUnsungHero26
  • Like 2

Yeah, they know it's a well loved feature, and that it helps some people with e.g. motion sickness or what have you for more people than just being able to adjust FOV.

The issue with third person for TOW was budgetary, animations for all the various weapons would have to be polished, armor clipping and so on might necessitate changes to assets and so on. I can't see any reason they wouldn't have designed Avowed to use Third Person, since they were much earlier in development and had a publisher who would be more likely to fund a less svelte game design. TOW was trying to escape the "buggy" reputation Obsidian has (personally I think that they get too much flak for that, since they might launch buggy but are rapidly patched.)

Cutting "luxury" features, and even entire planets out of the game kept the game trim and easier to maintain. Anything with tens of thousands of lines of dialog among hundreds of characters and a crazy amount of potential quest states is going to have some undiscovered interactions at launch. Once you start coding something more complex than hello world you're gonna have some bugs. Microsoft's QA assistance will help even a more robust game design reach a relatively bug free state at launch I think. And of course, other than graphical glitches, third person cameras don't generally cause bugs per se.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheUnsungHero26 said:

This Reddit post shows a DM from Obsidian (Mikey Dowling) explaining Third Person wouldn't be in The Outer Worlds, but its something they know is in demand and will look into for future games (Grounded was given as an example). This was posted well before Avowed was revealed, and given that game will have Microsoft's full backing, I'd say the chances are pretty likely Avowed will have a third person mode.

Agreed. It's what I've been arguing as well.

• Like 1