3rd person?

keriana

This Reddit post shows a DM from Obsidian (Mikey Dowling) explaining Third Person wouldn't be in The Outer Worlds, but its something they know is in demand and will look into for future games (Grounded was given as an example). This was posted well before Avowed was revealed, and given that game will have Microsoft's full backing, I'd say the chances are pretty likely Avowed will have a third person mode.

Edited by TheUnsungHero26
  • Like 3

Yeah, they know it's a well loved feature, and that it helps some people with e.g. motion sickness or what have you for more people than just being able to adjust FOV.

The issue with third person for TOW was budgetary, animations for all the various weapons would have to be polished, armor clipping and so on might necessitate changes to assets and so on. I can't see any reason they wouldn't have designed Avowed to use Third Person, since they were much earlier in development and had a publisher who would be more likely to fund a less svelte game design. TOW was trying to escape the "buggy" reputation Obsidian has (personally I think that they get too much flak for that, since they might launch buggy but are rapidly patched.)

Cutting "luxury" features, and even entire planets out of the game kept the game trim and easier to maintain. Anything with tens of thousands of lines of dialog among hundreds of characters and a crazy amount of potential quest states is going to have some undiscovered interactions at launch. Once you start coding something more complex than hello world you're gonna have some bugs. Microsoft's QA assistance will help even a more robust game design reach a relatively bug free state at launch I think. And of course, other than graphical glitches, third person cameras don't generally cause bugs per se.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheUnsungHero26 said:

This Reddit post shows a DM from Obsidian (Mikey Dowling) explaining Third Person wouldn't be in The Outer Worlds, but its something they know is in demand and will look into for future games (Grounded was given as an example). This was posted well before Avowed was revealed, and given that game will have Microsoft's full backing, I'd say the chances are pretty likely Avowed will have a third person mode.

Agreed. It's what I've been arguing as well.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Newly opened Avowed steam page still describes Avowed as "first-person fantasy RPG". So my guess would be no.

From

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-rpg-obsidian-preview-magic-interview/

Early in development, when Obsidian decided to prioritize a story "more focused on depth than breadth," the first-person combat ended up benefitting, too. Patel said that it was an example of a piece of Avowed that was surprisingly fun in their first vertical slice, a time when the team has to decide on what to commit more resources to and what to scale back on. Combat became a key focus, which should be music to the ears of every Elder Scrolls player who's always found the sword-swinging a bit wimpy. "Our combat has come along really, really well, and the bones have been there since the beginning," she said. 

Patel cited a lot of time spent tuning the feel of swinging a sword vs. a mace vs. an axe to make combat feel right, but the options available to players seem like the more significant element at play here. You're free to dual-wield weapons, wield both magic and melee simultaneously, and as in Pillars of Eternity, there are some old timey guns available.

Edited by Wormerine

This is super stupid Melee combat in first person look like crap, only magic range combat look ok since it is more or less FPS with magic or arrows.

Why Devs insist that First Person is more immersive for the story when great RPG like Mass Effect, Witcher, Dragon Age hell even Fallout games are in Third Person and they have all good vibes, good looking combat, great story, immersive storys.

11 minutes ago, NikolaNesic said:

Why Devs insist that First Person is more immersive for the story

Do they? I'm pretty sure Obsidian is on record as saying they did first person for TOW because it's easier.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

It really bothers me that this question isn't being addressed in any of the interviews (Carrie Patel, where are you?) or here on the forum where devs are supposedly reading posts. I can live with any and all other issues with Avowed, and would very likely enjoy playing the game as it has been described thus far. But the first-person perspective exclusive with no third-person option is very much a deal-breaker. And I'm quite sure that will be the case with a great many others. Their now-fellow stablemate Bethesda seems to have no problem having both options in their games including in Starfield. So as far as I'm concerned there are no legitimate reasons for not including a third-person option in Avowed (and in TOW2 for that matter).

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

It really bothers me that this question isn't being addressed in any of the interviews (Carrie Patel, where are you?) or here on the forum where devs are supposedly reading posts.

If I remember correctly they were pretty open with First Person only for Outer Worlds and people still didn't accept it. I don't know if there is a question to be addressed - it's been advertised as a First Person game from its inception. I don't think you want to list all the things your game doesn't have when you promote the title. I am sure they could spend entire interview listing things Avowed doesn't have, but that's not really helpful to anyone.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:42 PM, Achilles said:

Do they? I'm pretty sure Obsidian is on record as saying they did first person for TOW because it's easier.

I didn't mean Obsidian only and they say money was problem for TOW, still CDPR for example praise First Person for immersion like it would be new ground breaking thing in gaming, and sadly it was not.

I remember people saying stuff like well yes TOW don't have Third Person, but support them now so next game can have that, sadly that is also wrong way to look at it since nothing bound Devs to even if game turn big money hit to add Third Person for their sequal.

• Thanks 1

Well, supposedly there are reasons to be hopeful of a third-person option:

1) Apparently in a job posting from Obsidian for Avowed back in 2019/20, they specifically asked for people with programming skills and experience in both first-person and third-person combat animations.

2) In certain places in the recent gameplay trailer they do show both exploration and combat animations in third-person. But of course it remains to be seen if these reflect in-game gameplay or are merely cinematic displays.

3) When Grounded was released Obsidian said they did not have any plans to add a third-person option for that game, and yet now they have announced the addition of a third-person option for that game.

So, all taken together, some measure of cautious optimism?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kanisatha said:

2) In certain places in the recent gameplay trailer they do show both exploration and combat animations in third-person. But of course it remains to be seen if these reflect in-game gameplay or are merely cinematic displays.

3) When Grounded was released Obsidian said they did not have any plans to add a third-person option for that game, and yet now they have announced the addition of a third-person option for that game.

2) 😁 I knew this will pop up as soon as I saw the trailer. Outer Worlds deja vu. That said, it does show more of the character from 3rd person perspective that OW trailers did - if the game was intended to be coop, it might have gotten the outside animations finished - I don't know how close it takes it to being playable in 3rd person.

3) Grounded has 3rd person mode though.... I didn't follow it closely, but I can't remember it not ever having it.