3rd person?

keriana

6 hours ago, Achilles said:

Skyrim models were rigged in such a way that that almost all of the armor sets suffered from something I called "duck butt".

When the character was running around the model would deform as the leg was raised, stretching the texture over the "rear" of the model in an unrealistic and incredibly distracting way.

The only model that didn't suffer from this was the studded armor. So I played the whole game in studded armor. Level 1, level 50...didn't matter.

I'll take forced 1st person over duck butt.

Did Fallout 4 have this issue as well? This is not something I focused on when playing the game, so I don't remember for either, really. I also play a number of AA games, so having a few visual bugs is not the end of the world for me. I would rather have the third person option, even if it has a few bugs, so that I can play!

Edited by keriana

4 hours ago, keriana said:

Did Fallout 4 have this issue as well? This is not something I focused on when playing the game, so I don't remember for either, really. I also play a number of AA games, so having a few visual bugs is not the end of the world for me. I would rather have the third person option, even if it has a few bugs, so that I can play!

I didn't play either of the Bethesda developed Fallouts, so I can't speak to that.

At the risk of nitpicking; one or two armor sets that did this would be a bug. The fact that all but one of them did it is sloppy development. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

First person only?

They're going to lose a lot of loyal fans with this, including me.

And for any who question why, it's because playing first person makes me physically ill.

I'm currently playing through PoE 2 Deadfire and I'm now considering abandoning, it, because if I can't play the next one, what's the point?  This is so upsetting, because I really really love this franchise.

Edited by GinaC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Gasp! 1

24 minutes ago, GinaC said:

I'm currently playing through PoE 2 Deadfire and I'm now considering abandoning, it, because if I can't play the next one, what's the point?

I don't understand. Are playing games not because of the experience they offer, but because of their sequels? What if there are none to be had?

Also, I do not think this game is a "sequel" to Deadfire.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Turn based?

If only...

I'd love myself a good blobber here.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

1 hour ago, GinaC said:

And for any who question why, it's because playing first person makes me physically ill.

FWIW, I usually run into the same problem when playing first person. I've found though that my brain will kinda "reset" if I sleep it off and come back the next day (at which point I can play without issue).

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I'm curious as to whether they actually mean first person perspective, or if they're simply clarifying that you will be controlling just your character. It's not a party management/isometric RPG, it's from your character's perspective?

I'm really grabbing at straws here, but as I've said, as a primarily first person player, I really miss third person when it's not there as an option, especially if there is a decent amount of character customisation. Seems a shame to spend time creating a character that you never see again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UrbaNebula said:

I'm curious as to whether they actually mean first person perspective, or if they're simply clarifying that you will be controlling just your character. It's not a party management/isometric RPG, it's from your character's perspective?

This would be fine with me, and I hope they do clarify this soon.  I very much enjoyed the Mass Effect series, and I can play "over the shoulder" view with no difficulty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UrbaNebula said:

Website clearly states First Person RPG, and trailers suggests the same, I am afraid. 

6 hours ago, GinaC said:

I'm currently playing through PoE 2 Deadfire and I'm now considering abandoning, it, because if I can't play the next one, what's the point? 

huh? That’s not Pillars of Eternity game. For all we know it might have little to nothing to do with PoE storyline, and might take place in a different time all together.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Website clearly states First Person RPG, and trailers suggests the same, I am afraid. 

huh? That’s not Pillars of Eternity game. For all we know it might have little to nothing to do with PoE storyline, and might take place in a different time all together.

It's the world and lore that have captivated me, and I want to experience all that goes on there.  Is this not true for the rest of you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinaC said:

Is this not true for the rest of you?

PoE as the world interests me due to its themes and central conflict. I am generally not a lore, if it doesn't "mean" anything. 

As such Avowed doesn't interest me becuase of its ties to PoE, though I am glad the IP is not completely abandoned. As the IP is seperated from Pillars, I don't expect it to be directly tied to it, and therefore I am not automatically interested in its story. It's also not lead by Josh, so I don't necessaty expect it to have the same feel and focus as PoE1&2. Though the main point would be, that if in unlikely case PoE3 would be made in the future, I don't think Avowed would be a mandatory part of the story. Unless, of course, they wrap up what could be Watcher's storyline in Avowed - I would be heartbroken about it as all my hopes would be brutally crushed. 

But it is Obsidian's big RPG, and I like Obsidian games. I am even keeping an eye on Grounded, even though it really doesn't took like my cup of tea. Luckly for me I am also capable of liking FP-RPGs - F:NV is still the best Obsidian game IMO. I definitely wouldn't stop playing a series I enjoy, becase it gets a spinoff I don't want to play - I mean I played a bit of Fallout2 recently, and Bethesdas Fallouts are garbage. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Wormerine said:

But it is Obsidian's big RPG, and I like Obsidian games. I am even keeping an eye on Grounded, even though it really doesn't took like my cup of tea. Luckly for me I am also capable of liking FP-RPGs - F:NV is still the best Obsidian game IMO. I definitely wouldn't stop playing a series I enjoy, becase it gets a spinoff I don't want to play - I mean I played a bit of Fallout2 recently, and Bethesdas Fallouts are garbage. 

I haven't played Grounded, but I looked it up, and it has the option to play in 3rd person or 1st person even though it was made by a very small team. Fallout New Vegas can be played in 3rd person as well! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, keriana said:

I haven't played Grounded, but I looked it up, and it has the option to play in 3rd person or 1st person even though it was made by a very small team. Fallout New Vegas can be played in 3rd person as well! 🙂

That’s not really a point I was making...

May not be your cup of tea, but it's hardly a "waste" of resources, seeing as how it seems to be a commonly requested feature, and something similar games often have. I remember reading that it was considered for TOW but they decided against it because it's not exactly trivial to implement, and it's not really something that you can just tack on later and expect to work well. So I doubt fan input either way will change a big design decision that has in all likelihood already been made.

Personally I have no problem with 1st person-only games, but it sucks for people who get motion sickness and that kind of thing.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 6
  • Gasp! 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, Undecaf said:

I'd love myself a good blobber here.

A Grimrock clone in the Pillars setting?

Funny, but I wouldn't mind that, or even a PoE blobber done in the style of the BT:classic remaster.

I do think that the Pillars special text encounters would fit quite nicely into a game like that; as well as the inclusion of high quality quality portrait & encounter art. 

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zafar1981 said:

For me both 1st and 3rd person camera is fine but a game which could be heavily based on armor modification make no sense to be 1st person.  

There is nothing about systems of Avowed, but it makes perfect sense - one doesn’t need to create assets that would nicely fit on our character! Imagine how many armors we can have if we don’t need to see it animated

Edited by Wormerine

I'm in such a blobber mood right now (yet I'm playing Sakura Dungeon instead of Wiz8, what am I even doing with my life?)

I don't get how blobber now refers to single character games though.(1) Where's the blob!? Language, amirite? Wouldn't the reduction to a shorthand for party-based first-person game make more sense?(2) Instead of Wizlike / Dungeon Master clone. And why? Just because dungeon crawler is too broad? (I.e. first-person grid-based rpg / roguelike / hack & slash (Diablo) / even Gauntlet apparently.) Hmm, if Gauntlet is a dungeon crawler, and Catacomb is a Gauntlet clone, is Wolfenstein 3-D a dungeon crawler? Is Zelda? Icewind Dale is, right? Dungeon Rats? Hmm, way too broad indeed. Of course, first-person dungeon crawler may suffice.

Also, there's a reason why programmer devs love making roguelikes. Hey, good use of language is a transferable skill.

1:  I see it as such on Reddit often.

2: Of course, a blob is not a necessary condition for a party-based first-person game. (E.g. Outer Worlds)

On 7/24/2020 at 11:30 AM, keriana said:

I don't play 1st person games. Does Avowed have the option to play in 3rd person like Skyrim?

3rd person kills immersion & becomes the meta if its available, look at ESO love doing everything in 1st person on ESO but it cant compete in combat vs 3rd person so you lose immersion to gain more situational awareness, no 3rd person = immersion & no forced 3rd person metas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rageproc said:

3rd person kills immersion & becomes the meta if its available, look at ESO love doing everything in 1st person on ESO but it cant compete in combat vs 3rd person so you lose immersion to gain more situational awareness, no 3rd person = immersion & no forced 3rd person metas

From what I've seen so far I didn't get the idea that Avowed would be an MMO. There's not much info out yet, though.

Also, for me there is no immersion in 1st person, so that depends on the person.

Edited by keriana
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1