3rd person?

keriana

If MS is generous with funding, I imagine third-person'll likely be in, if only to make certain they don't lose a chunk of potential customers. For now, all we have is confirmation that it's primarily first-person, though it could be I've missed any announcements about it.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

Curious, why won't you play first person games?

I have problems visualizing the character in first person as being myself, and so I feel completely disconnected from the character and the game to the point that it isn't worth playing. The only time I can do first person is VR where I have enough visual input to think of the character as myself. Otherwise, I have to see the character I am playing to enjoy the game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, keriana said:

I have problems visualizing the character in first person as being myself, and so I feel completely disconnected from the character and the game to the point that it isn't worth playing. The only time I can do first person is VR where I have enough visual input to think of the character as myself. Otherwise, I have to see the character I am playing to enjoy the game.

Ohh okay.  That makes sense.  I definitely prefer when you can switch between the two, but i find combat much harder in 3rd person.  Only really use it when im traveling because it looks cooler.  I don't really picture myself as myself in games.  More like...  How i'd want myself to act.  Otherwise id just hide in a corner.

Personally I think i would actually prefer being able to see my body in first person, than having 3rd person.  Looking down and seeing nothing is unnerving.  (there is a sick burn i just set someone up for)

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Like 1

Second Life lets you see your body in first person, but unoptimized for obvious reasons. Can't wait for AAA to catch up to the noughties though, or the nineties; remember functional mirrors anyone? That's going to be huge.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

I don't really picture myself as myself in games.  More like...  How i'd want myself to act.  Otherwise id just hide in a corner.

Yes, in 3rd person I can create a character. The character might act how I would want to act or might act completely differently, depending on the character.

Edited by keriana
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZyroMane said:

Second Life lets you see your body in first person, but unoptimized for obvious reasons. Can't wait for AAA to catch up to the noughties though, or the nineties; remember functional mirrors anyone? That's going to be huge.

I've read that its really hard to do the first person body... but it never made sense why its so hard

I've seen this repeatedly referenced specifically as a "first person" game. Feels like the question was answered before it was asked.

"Does this chocolate come in strawberry?"

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 minute ago, Achilles said:

I've seen this repeatedly referenced specifically as a "first person" game. Feels like the question was answered before it was asked.

"Does this chocolate come in strawberry?"

Some games such as Skyrim have both. If it does have both, I don't want to not get the game because I thought it didn't have 3rd person.

And I love chocolate-covered strawberries. 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Ohh okay.  That makes sense.  I definitely prefer when you can switch between the two, but i find combat much harder in 3rd person.  Only really use it when im traveling because it looks cooler.  I don't really picture myself as myself in games.  More like...  How i'd want myself to act.  Otherwise id just hide in a corner.

Personally I think i would actually prefer being able to see my body in first person, than having 3rd person.  Looking down and seeing nothing is unnerving.  (there is a sick burn i just set someone up for)

Pardon but combat is much harder in 3rd person? I think it’s much easier to dodge incoming attacks from side and back in 3rd person like witch 3. For shooting I agree 1st person is better but for melee it’s terrible.

• Like 2

I've recently realized that I actually prefer first person games. Now one can state that some games work better in certain perspectives, but obviously if you just copy what works in first into third, or vice versa, it probably won't. However if you adapt to the perspective, you might end up with something neat, possibly new, and perhaps even functional. Of course with decades of examples to pick from, there may be no need to reinvent the wheel. For example, consider turn based tactics. How does one translate that into first? Three games give me a solid foundation on which to build: Wizardry 8, Hired Guns, and Space Hulk.

I'd rather have more resources invested into first person, than dilute the experience by catering to two different viewpoints. Better physics with full body awareness would be great, for instance.

Proper support for non 16:9 resolutions with comprehensive FOV options would be great too.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

8 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I'd rather have more resources invested into first person, than dilute the experience by catering to two different viewpoints.

Same.

Get creative with one thing and design around what that one thing offers.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

11 hours ago, dunehunter said:

Pardon but combat is much harder in 3rd person? I think it’s much easier to dodge incoming attacks from side and back in 3rd person like witch 3. For shooting I agree 1st person is better but for melee it’s terrible.

Personal preference.  It's easier to judge distance in first person.  Often in 3rd person the body will block the sight of your enemies.  I always think 3rd person will be better for melee but then I'm swinging too early

I much prefer when games fully flesh out the systems they are developing. I mean I'm sorry, but not every game can be for everybody. Blobbers literally don't exist without first person for example. I for one have slow thinking, but I'm not going to demand that every action game has pause for orders (which doesn't help much anyway.) I'm also just plain bad at computer games anyway, but I'm neither demanding cheat codes (fun stuff though) nor story mode. That being said, if there is time and money, a "functional" third person mode wouldn't go amiss, like Bethesda does. I mean, it just works.

40 minutes ago, Almaar said:

It's not easy to make a good combat system that works with both. 

This.

Reminds me of Bloodlines where the game went third person for melee. Troika sure was something else.

I always liked TES‘s approach to this, first person works well to look around and get a good feeling for rooms, objects and their size. It also helps when interacting with objects and has the added benefit that the gameworld needs to be a lot more interactive and detailed to work in a RPG.

On the other hand RPGs are always a bit of a power fantasy and it just feels good to see your character sometimes in its armour or robes even if it isn’t that viable to really play the game in that perspective, like in elder scrolls. I know it’s probably a huge amount of work to get character animations right and have the camera not spasm out but I’d like to see it implemented if possible.

Skyrim models were rigged in such a way that that almost all of the armor sets suffered from something I called "duck butt".

When the character was running around the model would deform as the leg was raised, stretching the texture over the "rear" of the model in an unrealistic and incredibly distracting way.

The only model that didn't suffer from this was the studded armor. So I played the whole game in studded armor. Level 1, level 50...didn't matter.

I'll take forced 1st person over duck butt.

• Haha 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

2 hours ago, Almaar said:

It's not easy to make a good combat system that works with both. 

I'd argue it's impossible as I don't think there is a single game with good combat that uses the two perspectives interchangeably. 

• Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: