Avowed - Reveal Trailer

Shyla

17 hours ago, Jayd said:

Limiting what an individual character can do has important design implications beyond encouraging cooperation. You can have more interesting and fantasy-fulfilling skills and powers when the designers know easily what other skills can or can't be mixed. That principle is why the craziest skills in POE2 are limited to single-class characters. As soon as you allow players to mix and match you dramatically increase their ability to break the game, which forces the developers to be more conservative when designing skills.  POE2's multiclassing, to me, is just the right sweet spot between player creativity and structure.

It's also worth noting that in rpgs getting to do something because of the way you built your character is more interesting than getting to do everything because you hit the start button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:37 PM, GinaC said:

Yeah, it's a huge bummer to me because first person games make me nauseous so I guess I won't get to experience any more stories in Eora.  😭

you should try different FoV settings when available. usually the narrow FoV in consoles is to limit what's on the screen so the hardware can handle the rendering but that causes nausea. higher FoV feels more natural to the eye but you only get to set it in PC versions of games. the FoV is just as narrow in games with a "behind the back" perspective but the presence of your character on the screen distracts you from noticing

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

3 hours ago, teknoman2 said:

you should try different FoV settings when available. usually the narrow FoV in consoles is to limit what's on the screen so the hardware can handle the rendering but that causes nausea. higher FoV feels more natural to the eye but you only get to set it in PC versions of games. the FoV is just as narrow in games with a "behind the back" perspective but the presence of your character on the screen distracts you from noticing

I only play on PC, and if I could get a Mass Effect PoV, I would be happy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GinaC said:

I only play on PC, and if I could get a Mass Effect PoV, I would be happy.

The suggestion works on PC, when it comes to console ports the developers leave the narrow console FoV in the PC version. I have to change it for every 1st person game I play. As well as disabling motion blur and other blur effects like depth of field and turn off headbobs otherwise I turn green and gets crazy headaches.

I was quite surprised that We Happy Few had a motion sickness effect toggle, which disable most blur effects. Some developers are more aware than others it seems.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

blur effects and such don't make me feel sick but i don't like them anyway. most of them are meant to mask the choppiness of 30fps, on a higher frame rate you don't get this problem

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I really like first person games and i can't wait to play. If the world is as beautiful as the last fragment this will potentially surpass skyrim. 

I've purchased pillars 1 and 2 to prepare ^^

Edited by Silaf

I use 90 fov typically, but higher than is more natural for 16:9. That's more 4:3. But I was able to play the Catacomb Adventure Series on a 1080p monitor with borders and original fov, so I don't have this issue.

Character reactivity is one of the best parts of rpgs, and some of the best character reactivity is class based (although race based is even better, typically.) 

Edited by ZyroMane
don't want to double post

On 7/23/2020 at 8:02 PM, Shyla said:

Avowed
Obsidian Entertainment's next epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora.

@Shyla I was trying to look for info on wether this will be playable on Xbox one, but it seems it will only be available for Series X. Is this the case?

3 hours ago, Jakob said:

I was trying to look for info on wether this will be playable on Xbox one, but it seems it will only be available for Series X.

Avowed is stated to be released for XBox X and PC. XBox1, I believe, Xb1 is to be supported for at least a year after XBoxX release, but Avowed is unlikely to release that soon. 

25 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Avowed is stated to be released for XBox X and PC. XBox1, I believe, Xb1 is to be supported for at least a year after XBoxX release, but Avowed is unlikely to release that soon. 

Also this is a game that MS will want to use as incentive for people to go buy an Xbox X, right? So I don't see why they would want the game to be Xbox 1 compatible.

Interestingly, the initial release of the trailer's promotional materials listed Xbox 1 at the bottom as one of the supported platforms. Then a day or so later, Xbox 1 was quietly removed from those promo materials.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Interestingly, the initial release of the trailer's promotional materials listed Xbox 1 at the bottom as one of the supported platforms. Then a day or so later, Xbox 1 was quietly removed from those promo materials.

I was trying to find info about that, as I remember it happening. If there was no official announcement, it might be why I couldn't find anything. 

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

I was trying to find info about that, as I remember it happening. If there was no official announcement, it might be why I couldn't find anything. 

Yep I noted it only because a gaming journo mentioned it in an article, and then I went and looked out of curiosity and sure enough the Xbox 1 reference was gone.

3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Yep I noted it only because a gaming journo mentioned it in an article, and then I went and looked out of curiosity and sure enough the Xbox 1 reference was gone.

The official website had Xbox 1 on it (I personally saw it), but all the other official Microsoft announcements regarding the game didn't have it. They removed it from the website a few hours later.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

14 hours ago, morhilane said:

The official website had Xbox 1 on it (I personally saw it), but all the other official Microsoft announcements regarding the game didn't have it. They removed it from the website a few hours later.

Yeah that's where I checked as well.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, necrobrain said:

Have we gotten any information about who's directing, writing, producing, etc. on Avowed? I'm not seeing anything by googling at least.

Nothing official, but we can assume:

Game Director - Chris Parker.
Production Director - Dan Maas.
Narrative Director - Lucien Soulban.

If you want a more extensive list you should read this post: 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, Calinks said:

Really hoping they add a third person cam. I like to jump between both perspectives.

Same!

I'm not familiar with any of the Directors listed - did any of them work on New Vegas or Outer Worlds? (I'm more interested if they have New Vegas experience, Outer Worlds isn't quite as relevant).

Chris Parker was Chief Development Officer and Senior Producer for New Vegas and additional producer for Outer Worlds.

I want to mention Technical Designer Nick Carver. Not because he was on New Vegas or Outer Worlds (no idea) but because he's the one who gave us the new "4th" subclasses in Deadfire (like Forbidden Fist, Debonaire, Furyshaper, Steel Garrote and so on) which are all very enjoyable imo. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 11 months later...

I wasn't expecting any new info at the Game Awards to be honest. The game was announced at E3 and I suspect the next time we see it will be at E3.

Microsoft owns both Obsidian Entertainment AND Bethesda Game Studios. We already know that Starfield is coming on 11.11.22. Not wanting to split sales between the two games, I expect we will get a release date for Avowed during E3 2022 and it will be aiming for release around Q1/Q2 2023.

On the bright side, if that's remotely accurate, then we're only 6 months away from seeing some gameplay. The downside is we may be waiting a year and a half or longer to... play... some gameplay.

• Like 1