Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • SChin pinned this topic

Bummer to see that it will be strictly first-person, but super excited to hear that there are still stories to tell in Eora

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys plan to do some interviews or similar things soon so you can tell us a bit more about the game?

 

Btw great trailer guys, can’t wait to see more, been a fan since KOTOR 2 came out  and I’m super looking forward to this :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very exciting! I really hope there will be a class system. Skyrim won't let me be a druid so do the right thing with this! DnD-like classes are well established in Eora with plenty of associated lore.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years(?) ago when Josh Sawyer was talking about PoE 2 sales and the future of the series i almost wanted to ask him if in his opinion there was a chance for a "modern" (i mean non isometric) Pillars game. The lore and the setting are so interesting and like Achilles wrote i'm

59 minutes ago, Achilles said:

super excited to hear that there are still stories to tell in Eora

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayd said:

Very exciting! I really hope there will be a class system.

I can't say I see a point of a class system in an FPS (read: not team based) RPG. The very point of classes is to limited what individual character can do, and force cooperation... 

EDIT1: Looking at the trailer I wouldn't be surprised if our role wouldn't be to some extend defined - it's very much seems we are dedicated to Woedica. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Almaar said:

Some years(?) ago when Josh Sawyer was talking about PoE 2 sales and the future of the series i almost wanted to ask him if in his opinion there was a chance for a "modern" (i mean non isometric) Pillars game.

Desire to make PoE into Skyrim-like isn't new, though I was worried that PoE2 poor performance killed Obsidian's drive to nurish the IP.

https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-ceo-id-love-to-turn-eternity-into-more-like-a-skyrim-product/

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I can't say I see a point of a class system in an FPS (read: not team based) RPG. The very point of classes is to limited what individual character can do, and force cooperation... 

EDIT1: Looking at the trailer I wouldn't be surprised if our role wouldn't be to some extend defined - it's very much seems we are dedicated to Woedica. 

This is exactly my take as well. Kudos for making the argument so succinctly.

  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I can't say I see a point of a class system in an FPS (read: not team based) RPG. The very point of classes is to limited what individual character can do, and force cooperation... 

Classes in single character games allow strict gameplay variation (Hexen, Amulets & Armor,) path divergence (Hillsfar,) and an extra layer of player build reactivity (Swordflight.) Also first person perspective (fpp) doesn't mean no party (blobbers (literally party-based first person games) obviously, but also Outer Worlds.)

Of course, classless can be fine too, and you can still do the above ... more or less.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since PoE2 introduced multiclassing and the TTRPG is classless I suspect that the "Skyrim on Eora" comes with a classless system. But that's pure speculation.

Since there's Concelhaut's Draining Touch in the trailer I guess you can at least learn wizard spells. ;)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Since PoE2 introduced multiclassing and the TTRPG is classless I suspect that the "Skyrim on Eora" comes with a classless system. But that's pure speculation.

Since there's Concelhaut's Draining Touch in the trailer I guess you can at least learn wizard spells. ;)

I'm not-so-secretly hoping that they use Tyranny's character system for Avowed.

Pick a background (TTRPG - check), pick an archetype, pick a couple of specializations (multiclassing - check), and away you go. Whatever you use, you get better at.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I'm not-so-secretly hoping that they use Tyranny's character system for Avowed.

Eww...? 😖 I'm openly hoping they do not. :)

  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very vague, super generic heroic fantasy trailer. "Thar be meanies, and we gunna fight'em!" Not much material to speculate on, save for "Sure looks like Skyrim".  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, not much to see here, yet.

Still, I've been waiting for Obsidian to dip their toes in fantasy first person RPG waters for a long time, so this is exciting.

If this is open world, it's nice to be looking forward to one of those for the first time in over a decade. On the other hand, if they went and made an Ultima Underworld type game, I'd be very happy too.

Anyway, give us more info!

  • Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZyroMane said:

Wouldn't an Ultima Underworld sort of Pillars of Skyrim be a contemporary Battlespire?

Well, yeah, kind of, but it'd be best to use good games as points of comparison. 

  • Haha 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say that have a soft spot for games with lightsaber in one hand and super powers in other.

However after this trailer it could be either fantasy doom or skyrim, and both options are equally possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

Well, yeah, kind of, but it'd be best to use good games as points of comparison. 

Shoot, and here I was hoping Obsidian would make a spiritual successor to Descent to Undermountain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 10:56 PM, Wormerine said:

I can't say I see a point of a class system in an FPS (read: not team based) RPG. The very point of classes is to limited what individual character can do, and force cooperation... 

EDIT1: Looking at the trailer I wouldn't be surprised if our role wouldn't be to some extend defined - it's very much seems we are dedicated to Woedica. 

Limiting what an individual character can do has important design implications beyond encouraging cooperation. You can have more interesting and fantasy-fulfilling skills and powers when the designers know easily what other skills can or can't be mixed. That principle is why the craziest skills in POE2 are limited to single-class characters. As soon as you allow players to mix and match you dramatically increase their ability to break the game, which forces the developers to be more conservative when designing skills.  POE2's multiclassing, to me, is just the right sweet spot between player creativity and structure.

I don't expect them to actually keep classes in Avowed, but I really, really would like them to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayd said:

You can have more interesting and fantasy-fulfilling skills and powers when the designers know easily what other skills can or can't be mixed. That principle is why the craziest skills in POE2 are limited to single-class characters. As soon as you allow players to mix and match you dramatically increase their ability to break the game, which forces the developers to be more conservative when designing skills.

That’s true, but that can be achieved in many other ways as well. Also “skills” if such will exist will quite likely have different role to play then in PoEs. It is seems to be action RPG, so I expect imput driven combat, rather then RNG driven combat. How Avowed systems will work, and if they will take much or any inspiration from PoEs is something I am most curious about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 3:17 PM, Achilles said:

Bummer to see that it will be strictly first-person, but super excited to hear that there are still stories to tell in Eora

Yeah, it's a huge bummer to me because first person games make me nauseous so I guess I won't get to experience any more stories in Eora.  😭

Edited by GinaC
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...