AVOWED - Obsidian's Skyrim clone set in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Infinitron

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

Well, since @Shyla is asking us to "speculate, imagine and dream ..." about this new game here, here's my dream for this game:

Please include a third person option.

Please include companions in some form.

Please keep the PoE class system.

Definitely throwing my support behind the first two on this list.

Not sure the PoE class system will work if the game isn't party-based, so I'm open to whatever comes on that count.

Edited by Achilles
typo
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 minute ago, kirottu said:

First person is the default. Everything else is just inferior. 

So glad that you're not confusing facts and opinions on this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 minute ago, kirottu said:

First person is the default. Everything else is just inferior. 

😄 Ok, sure.

Let's just hope the design here becomes a bit more than what is the standard simplicity for first person games in general.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

2 minutes ago, Achilles said:

So glad that you're not confusing facts and opinions on this one.

Of course not. I have facts and everyone else has opinions.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

ngl, I'm a little surprised that @Ethics Gradient hasn't translated the engraving on that blade yet.

Some of the characters look similar to Aedryn (the "h" and "n" are pretty clear), but the rest look new.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Undecaf said:

I don't know anything about that TT game of his other than it being in the works. There any merit in it, or is it all still shrouded?

PDF of the alpha

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Achilles said:

ngl, I'm a little surprised that @Ethics Gradient hasn't translated the engraving on that blade yet.

HAAAAAA! :)

I was thinking the same thing! Was also surprised he hadn't yet cracked some code somewhere to tell us about this game before its reveal. But maybe MS's people in black suits and hats paid him a visit? ;)

• Haha 1

Question : I'm sure everyone is dying to know; could you tell us whether you are working on Avowed, and if so, in what capacity?

Josh Sawyer :

screenshot-612.png

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

4 minutes ago, BillyCorgan said:

Question : I'm sure everyone is dying to know; could you tell us whether you are working on Avowed, and if so, in what capacity?

Josh Sawyer :

screenshot-612.png

I'm confused... What is Sawyer working on then... Or is he just advising for everything?  Is there another Obsidian game in development?  I have no life, I need to know.

10 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

I'm confused... What is Sawyer working on then... Or is he just advising for everything?  Is there another Obsidian game in development?  I have no life, I need to know.

His job at Obsidian is to advise on everything. He just happened to be a lot more involved in Pillars 1 and Deadfire and has publicly acknowledged that he was over-extended and bordering on burnout as a result. There are rumors that he's tinkering on a small project, but there's nothing in his role that requires him to be actively working on any one game at any time.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Wormerine said:

Not for a melee combat, that's for sure. The only FPS melee person I played that wasn't bad, was Arcanum stuff - mainly thinking of Messiah of Might&Magic.

Kingdom Come Deliverance was also pretty good, but they were also going for hyper-realism there. I'll grit my teeth and bear whatever we get, but really hoping I don't have to suffer through the same three chopping animations for 120 hours ala TES

• Thanks 1

I don't really care about how they handle the animations.

If there are robust systems underneath that gradually improve the gameplay through the progression elements (skills and attributes) so that the player actually feels the progression from **** to good, I'm more than fine.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

21 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Kingdom Come Deliverance was also pretty good, but they were also going for hyper-realism there. I'll grit my teeth and bear whatever we get, but really hoping I don't have to suffer through the same three chopping animations for 120 hours ala TES

I agree KCD was good... Janky as all hell but at least it felt like a real combat system.  Instead of press 1 button all game long... That being said I'll take a good story over pretty much anything else

What's everyone thinking as far as pre POE or post POE?  I guess the obvious answer would be pre.  Though we really have no idea anything other than its based in eora.

I kind of loath prequels in general but it seems much more likely

Unless it is super far back prequel... Then I'm down

By 

Edited by Theonlygarby

24 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

What's everyone thinking as far as pre POE or post POE?  I guess the obvious answer would be pre.  Though we really have no idea anything other than its based in eora.

I kind of loath prequels in general but it seems much more likely

Unless it is super far back prequel... Then I'm down

There was a lot of emphasis on Woedica, which makes me think that we're going back to time around her fall. That's just my gut reaction though. Nothing solid to hang that on.

The "Skyrim clone" in the title is stupid. With that said since here we're allowed to dream ecc... there's a few...things i'd like to see in the game. Umh did someone say Eder or Aloth? 😜

Regarding the point of view i'm perfectly fine with it being in first person, in my opinion it's the best way to immerse yourself and experience the world. It's the same reason why Cyberpunk is in first person too. Elder Scrolls games also have a third person view but the combat and the animations were always...not great to say the least. It's very hard to make a good combat system that works with both, in GTA 5 for example you can switch to first person but aiming feels really clunky. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, draego said:

Just saw @Ethics Gradient post this on discord 

oathbinder.png?width=572&height=609

god damn Woedica lol 

Of course. I was only paying attention to the right side and not considering that the characters might be upside down.

• Like 1

Ye her fall might be interesting and kinda of curious about the wider world. also the creatures in this game are going to be cool seeing them like this in FP. im not big ARPG fan but i do play them but its obsidian so as longs as its not bland like open world skyrim and if they can make the narrative compelling and the story and choices interesting ill be good.

Also i know we are prob not the watcher but i hope the beyond is part of this game to

Edited by draego

Character creation? Classes? 😭

I expect a game with character creation/customization, classes (necromancy PLS!), great enemy/bosses variety, Immersive open world, 80+ hours singleplayer, unique NPCs with routines (no generic/cloned NPCs) 

11 minutes ago, draego said:

Ye her fall might be interesting and kinda of curious about the wider world. also the creatures in this game are going to be cool seeing them like this in FP. im not big ARPG fan but i do play them but its obsidian so as longs as its not bland like open world skyrim and if they can make the narrative compelling and the story and choices interesting ill be good.

Also i know we are prob not the watcher but i hope the beyond is part of this game to

My beef with Skyrim wasn't that the world was bland, rather that it tried to force the players hand into too many niches rather than just be "one thing". That and it really half-assed a lot of the reactivity.

So long as they don't follow in Bethesda's footsteps in those two areas, I have no qualms with a "skyrim clone".

And yeah, maybe time to be something other than a Watcher.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Achilles said:

My beef with Skyrim wasn't that the world was bland, rather that it tried to force the players hand into too many niches rather than just be "one thing". That and it really half-assed a lot of the reactivity.

So long as they don't follow in Bethesda's footsteps in those two areas, I have no qualms with a "skyrim clone".

And yeah, maybe time to be something other than a Watcher.

I mean i just find story in open worlds so weak, even Deadfire had this issue with main story (although not nearly as bad as large bethseda open world games) but there were lots of other stories to keep my interest . It sours me on open world experiences when the main story is so weak and i get it bethseda games are about exploration but that for me at least is not a priority i would rather some interesting choices and stuff that affects the world and also an interesting main story. its usually hard to do that in open world settings though so not sure where Avowed will go but its Obsidian so im always optimistic and excited for new stuff stuff. hehe 

Edited by draego
  • Like 1