AVOWED - Obsidian's Skyrim clone set in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Infinitron

Repost from the other thread:

8 minutes ago, Adridactelo said:

I was looking at the trailer again and I noticed that for a few frames  the moons of Eora can be seen.

Avowed_Moons.thumb.jpg.01f2736a64d8fd368943d62798375c6e.jpg

In Pillars of Eternity there is a book called The Moons of Eora that says:

315 years ago, the Grand Empire of Vailia suffered from terrible storms and terrifyingly high and low tides. Records show the same thing was happening in the Aedyr Empire and that several new Aedyran colonies along the Dyrwood coast were completely destroyed by storms and high tides that engulfed the settlements. At that time, during an eclipse, Glanfathan astronomers spotted something small orbiting near the edge of Belafa.

After much study, they realized it was a small satellite with an extremely irregular orbit. They called it Cawldha Debh, or The Black Runner. Since it is smaller than Belafa, it doesn't have much effect on the world, but when it aligns with Belafa's orbit, it wreaks havoc on the tides and weather everywhere. This happens with an erratic frequency and severity and have been dubbed ‘Lovers' Tides.’ Cawldha has been rolled into the Ondra myth and when they are both in sight, her desire to reach them is increased tenfold, which is what causes the terrible weather.

Suddenly this would make so much sense (especially the rivers part):

On 7/26/2020 at 4:17 PM, Infinitron said:

- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Given today's blockbuster news, if Avowed is Obsidian's "Skyrim clone" game and Microsoft now owns the actual Skyrim/TES, where does that leave Avowed? Doesn't Avowed risk becoming a duplicative, and therefore redundant game for MS?

Assuming Avowed is a Skyrim duplicate - which I never believed it to be. Obsidian gonna be Obsidian. 

If Avowed Skyrim game in a way Falllout:NV was Fallout3 then I think both will find their own audiences with a healthy overlap. Even so, who knows what Bethesda wants to do - for the last couple titles they have been departing further and further from what I would expect “Bethesda” game to be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Assuming Avowed is a Skyrim duplicate - which I never believed it to be. Obsidian gonna be Obsidian. 

If Avowed Skyrim game in a way Falllout:NV was Fallout3 then I think both will find their own audiences with a healthy overlap. Even so, who knows what Bethesda wants to do - for the last couple titles they have been departing further and further from what I would expect “Bethesda” game to be. 

Precisely. I'm not worried at all.

The main thing holding Obsidian back has been a lack of resource, which is no longer a problem. Meanwhile, Bethesda keeps inventing new ways to sit on their balls. I have a feeling that the only danger this acquisition presents to Obsidian is that Microsoft starts conducting more oversight after Bethesda starts losing them money.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

6 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Given today's blockbuster news, if Avowed is Obsidian's "Skyrim clone" game and Microsoft now owns the actual Skyrim/TES, where does that leave Avowed? Doesn't Avowed risk becoming a duplicative, and therefore redundant game for MS?

With the way the industry is going, think in terms of 'Netflix'.  Microsoft 'being' Netflix and Bethesda and Obsidian are both independent studios to their platform.

• Thanks 1