Advice and angles on my playthrough of POE2?

So I made a full play through of POE1 and imported the character and played a good ways through (POE2 I reached a big island and quested) and that was maybe in January 2020?  The POE1 concept of my character is here 

I'm planning to return to the game in the next month and I'm thinking about my situation in terms of what team members do I like and what factions should I favor?  Please read the link to concise info for example that my character is a rogue in POE1 that had interest in science and lost a love interest before POE1 who had gotten him interested in science of animancy.

The thing to figure out as most priority is it seems I'll have to choose between 4 factions similar to POE1 you choose between doemenels etc...  I have met the native islander Tekahu (and fellow) Amauna.  This might make sense because my character is also an island Amauna?  How would an island Amauna react to a coastal Amauna and the Rautai faction?  He knew from adventuring Kana so how about he joins with Maia Rua?  I'm not wanting meta gaming rather just sorting out his options.  He might also be attracted to Príncipi sen Patrena of Sarafen by virtue of background as a rogue?  And then doesn't Vaillain republic support science and he didn't travel with Pellagina in POE1 but maybe it's now the time.  He also sided with the bird goddess (forgot bird goddess name).

So trying to avoid metagaming but I wish to find a direction in terms of what factions to choose and thereby what companions?

Edited by claudius

how did your character feel about kana? how did you end kana's questline in poe1? depending on how it goes, your character could either be pro-rautaui or anti-rautaui. (even if maia rua is with royal deadfire company, if you convined kana to be an isolationist in poe1 it makes more sense to not be pro-rautaui).

judging from a quick skim, it sounds like the vailian trading company is your best bets, but which sub-faction choice you go for depends on your character's personality (both the principi and vailian quest lines have an internal struggle you can settle in different ways). For you, not only do the vailians invest in animancy a lot, they seem to value Hylea (one of the major patrons in Nekataka has Hylean influence, and Pallegina, well, you know), which might be consistent with your decisions in PoE1. Plus they like getting rich, which seems to be in your character backstory.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, thelee said:

how did your character feel about kana? how did you end kana's questline in poe1? depending on how it goes, your character could either be pro-rautaui or anti-rautaui. (even if maia rua is with royal deadfire company, if you convined kana to be an isolationist in poe1 it makes more sense to not be pro-rautaui).

judging from a quick skim, it sounds like the vailian trading company is your best bets, but which sub-faction choice you go for depends on your character's personality (both the principi and vailian quest lines have an internal struggle you can settle in different ways). For you, not only do the vailians invest in animancy a lot, they seem to value Hylea (one of the major patrons in Nekataka has Hylean influence, and Pallegina, well, you know), which might be consistent with your decisions in PoE1. Plus they like getting rich, which seems to be in your character backstory.

You know I actually loaded a save from that play through (started December 2019) and I was wrong that I was with Kana.  I did pick him up but didn't adventure with him very much.  My party was: Eder, Maneha, Zahua, Grieving Mother, Durance, and main character Rogue.  Sorry I didn't start my post with all of the right/accurate information.  I guess shows how much you can forget in 6 months.

Thanks very much for the answer and I will consider it.  Between the replay value of this game in the complexity of various meaningful decisions and my lack of memory I can probably be making playthroughs for a couple more years!

And thanks for reading the backstory.  So far in PoE2 I've explored several areas in the big island Naketana (spelling?) and I am with: Eder (fighter), Xoti (priest) who I like very much and then unsure of the other companions who to take.  Also you mentioned decisions in PoE2 and that leads me to think that maybe if I explore some of the menus I can see how my character already (from POE1 and early POE2) actions how he so far feels about the various factions and companions.  I'm only playing normal difficulty if I recall and so I can probably complete the content with very many compositions of party.  I am tempted to restart but I think I'll avoid that based on experience with" restartitus" in this and other games.

In factions questlines you will have plenty space to explore what are strength and weaknesses of each faction and decide which one will appeal most to your character. I agree that Valian seems like a possible fit for your rogue. There are also different subfactions WITHIN each faction, so you can fine tune your character choice even further. 

• Like 1