rAND-ohm vIDeO game NEW$

Amentep

12 hours ago, majestic said:

I'd love to no longer be my own 1st, 2nd and 3rd level support but in this case we were chasing intermittent slowdowns that happened for no immediately apparent reasons after a major release change. DB load and query execution time was fine, the application servers were bored, memory usage was fine. Then we went on to measure round trips between clients and servers, code execution time. Everything said "this is fine" but it wasn't.

Found out what was going on by stumbling upon a seemingly unrelated but no less hilarious issue of some code working most of the time and failing some of the time, but absolutely never when debugged. A classic Heisenbug. Turns out that the login system was the cause. Too many logins and the application server is stuck being busy logging people in an puts everything else on hold. That was no real problem for local logins, but web users had a nice little page available that would log in directly in a loop through selected records, with potentially disastrous results if the users caused a larger amount of records to be collected. Which they did. Still do. Heh. Damn thing.

I'd like to not be that either, but am stuck in it now.  Wouldn't be as bad if they didn't treat developers as if they were in an ivory tower.  Well and if the developers didn't decide every change is a time for ego masturbation as they write complex code that's great until you have to maintain it.  Add in our tech leads say comments are unnecessary and it's quite funny sometimes.

Now we have SaaS crap to deal with which is even more fun. 😛

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

And if someone has a 3D printer and doesn't have a flight stick then there is a solution for that.

If you have a 3d printer, I'm sure you can afford a proper HOTAS 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

Sometimes I suspect everyone on the internet is a software engineer.

Or a tech hardware engineer.  Or both at the same time.
But don't worry, I've met at least three, maybe four, people on the internet who aren't engineers of any type.  We do exist.   :-

Edit: rest deleted because oops, realized not the thread I thought I was in.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

Sometimes I suspect everyone on the internet is a software engineer.

Maybe... most software engineers are terrible at their job. So there's a lot of potential overlap between software engineers and people on the internet. The correlation certainly is there, keep digging to see if there's some causality behind it. :p

Want to hear the funniest support call I ever got? I swear 'tis true.

Phone rings, I pick up and the guy says: "Every time I delete an e-mail it's gone afterwards, why, is this normal?"

I had no idea what to reply without making this even more awkward than it was, so I said I'd call the Exchange administrator and ask. Hung up, laugned a couple of minutes, then called back and told him that this indeed is the intended behaviour of the delete function in Outlook.

What he was really asking about was why the deleted items folder is purged every other day because his private mail client at home doesn't do that, so he got used to "archiving" mails by deleting them. It still requires being completely oblivious  to the meaning of the word delete but it's not the dumbest question I've ever had. Just the funniest.

The dumbest question so far was when someone called and asked why he's still missing exported orders from a client. He "told" the system to export the orders from "today" three days ago by setting a future date in the "export orders created on" date range, so they should have been in the export three days ago, right? RIGHT?

Whoever said there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers needs to spend a year in first level support. Join the dark, cynical side, get cookies... or watch your mind break. Your choice. :p

What's the topic of this thread again? Uhm... yeah. Game news. Eh... *runs*

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

9 minutes ago, majestic said:

Whoever said there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers needs to spend a year in first level support. Join the dark, cynical side, get cookies... or watch your mind break. Your choice. :p

Well... at least now I know I never should have signed up for that coding course.

So, yeah, uh. Back on track.

Games. Yes.

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

most software engineers are terrible at their job.

I feel attacked.

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Well... at least now I know I never should have signed up for that coding course.

Games. Yes.

Oh, you did? What did you learn. Or ar planning to learn? :)

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Oh, you did? What did you learn. Or ar planning to learn? :)

I did, a week ago - and I'm anxious as hell. ~8 months, starting from November. Therefore, so far, I have learned nothing.

Unless you count these horror stories from Obsidian boards. In that case, I have learned that coding is a soul-crushing voyage into pain and misery.

EDIT: I forgot to actually answer: Java.

EDIT2: Amentep please don't ban me

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 5

When I read people discuss coding around various places of the net, I feel like I'm listening to people speak Alpha Centurian or something.

But hey, I guess they compliment us aliens well, 'cuz I'm still clicking and keyboarding the crap rich content they produce, and enjoying myself. 😃

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

I did, a week ago - and I'm anxious as hell. ~8 months, starting from November. Therefore, so far, I have learned nothing.

Unless you count these horror stories from Obsidian boards. In that case, I have learned that coding is a soul-crushing voyage into pain and misery.

EDIT2: Amentep please don't ban me

Eh, it's like all jobs - they suck.  Java is nice to start. Just remember, all that matters in the end is getting that paper. 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

I avoid the coffee language like the plague and it's worked out well so far, but since you have no prior experience you most likely won't find the verbosity of Java offensive.

That might come later. Feels like you need then times the lines of code to get something done in Java than you would need in anything else. Except COBOL. Good if you're paid by LOC though.

On the other hand, avoid getting paid by LOC at any cost just as well. That's such a ridiculous measurement of coding productivity. :p

No but in all seriousness, Java is a decent and safe choice assuming you like it and want to work in that field. It's been high in demand for a while now. If you want some buzzword side to go along with Java you coud look at R, that's the new hot shice apparently. Those come and go. All the time. The classics however have endured so far. They probably will for some while yet.

• Like 2

Blizzard delayed Shadowlands, sort of a surprise. Think this is the only WoW expansion that's been delayed, certainly only one so close to launch

• Gasp! 1

4 hours ago, Skazz said:

Games. Yes.

Well done my friend, as you have mentioned you have felt moments of boredom and melancholy so this is exactly what you need to help improve any signs of motivation 8)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons_in_Cyberpunk_2020

Good lord, CD;PR do not hold back on raw content do they?

I already know what gun I would use should I purchase this game, and that's the Beretta M97P.

Let's hope character building can augment gun choices well because I'm not much of a fan of ditching something I have an affinity to just because something else has higher stats on paper.

Edited by ComradeMaster
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons_in_Cyberpunk_2020

Good lord, CD;PR do not hold back on raw content do they?

I already know what gun I would use should I purchase this game, and that's the Beretta M97P.

Let's hope character building can augment gun choices well because I'm not much of a fan of ditching something I have an affinity to just because something else has higher stats on paper.

That's the 2020 pen and paper game.

@ComradeMaster

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons_in_Cyberpunk_2077

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

🤣

I remember watching a let's play of the first game, it looked jank as ****. The most notable thing about it was that you played as Not Jody Foster and got chased by a mostly naked old guy. Sadly, it looks like you won't be playing as Not Jody Foster as much in this one. Hopefully there will be at least as much old man naked ass as in the last one.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Technically I suppose this isn't news, but I searched the forums and only found one post about it (and the gameplay is new-ish) but I just saw this for the first time yesterday, a new game from the Tower of Time people, and I thought it looked pretty cool.

• Like 3