rAND-ohm vIDeO game NEW$

Amentep

I played both MGS 1 & 2 on PC. I still have my boxed copy of MGS 2: Substance for the PC.

I still can't believe I played MGS 1 from start to finish with the keyboard. How the hell did I manage to beat Sniper Wolf and what became of that poor keyboard?

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Gamespot - Cyberpunk 2077 devs reportedly working 6 day weeks to finish the game

CD Projekt Red, the studio behind upcoming open-world RPG Cyberpunk 2077, has reportedly instituted a mandatory six-day work week that will be enforced until the launch of the game on November 19. Bloomberg reports that an employee, speaking under conditions of anonymity, has indicated that some staff have been working nights and weekends for over a year.

Additionally, Bloomberg states that, in an email, studio head Adam Badowski told the entire team that this was required to polish the game. "Starting today, the entire (development) studio is in overdrive," the email reportedly reads. This means that developers are required to commit to a normal work week of five days, along with an additional paid day (required by Polish labor laws) on the weekend, bringing the work week to six days.

Badowski also reportedly addressed a previous position stated by the studio that mandatory overtime would not be part of Cyberpunk 2077 development process. "I take it upon myself to receive the full backlash for the decision," he allegedly wrote.

"I know this is in direct opposition to what we've said about crunch. It's also in direct opposition to what I personally grew to believe a while back--that crunch should never be the answer. But we've extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sounds like you need a better job

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

"I know this is in direct opposition to what we've said about crunch. It's also in direct opposition to what I personally grew to believe a while back--that crunch should never be the answer. But we've extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”

For some reason I am reminded of this - 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

Which seems very normal for any design profession. The abnormal thing is that they get paid for the extra day.

Spending over a year in crunch time seems pretty excessive. I would imagine the burnout rate is going to be a problem. Of course, this seems to work for Rockstar. Great games, miserable employees?

The crunch time on the final stretch I can be ok with, but the year before in crunch absolutely not.

That being said, wasn't the game supposed to be out already? I'm guessing they are hanging in that "final stretch" already for a while and it won't end.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 days extra work over 6 weeks sucks, but they are getting paid for it, CDPR is following Polish labour laws from what I've been told, so since they are working a weekend day they ought to be getting double the pay aswell. Anything over 40 hours is considered overtime.

@Skarpen Did I get this correct?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

lol, i guess you guys never worked in software dev environment. Weekends and OT are bread and butter. You are lucky to work on project with so long  life span as games. 'Last push' on ongoing projects is like a monthly feature. Why do you think all **** promote job positions as 'challenging but rewarding'. I was in it for 10 years and its life draining

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

lol, i guess you guys never worked in software dev environment. Weekends and OT are bread and butter. You are lucky to work on project with so long  life span as games. 'Last push' on ongoing projects is like a monthly feature. Why do you think all **** promote job positions as 'challenging but rewarding'. I was in it for 10 years and its life draining

Guess we just have to keep on doing things the stupid way.  Same thing with every firm I've been with, funniest was when someone honestly thought Agile would save us as esimates would be accurate!  Good times.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Guess we just have to keep on doing things the stupid way.  Same thing with every firm I've been with, funniest was when someone honestly thought Agile would save us as esimates would be accurate!  Good times.

dead line is dead line, no matter the system. As long as upper management get bonus on delivering on time no matter what sales team manage to 'sell' there will never be a change. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors for drones to swallow the dong

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

16 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

dead line is dead line, no matter the system. As long as upper management get bonus on delivering on time no matter what sales team manage to 'sell' there will never be a change. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors for drones to swallow the dong

Well, when the deadline is set is the issue, one can do it to avoid things going to crap.  However, I suppose games is a different market, customers in that space care greatly about when they get something, and are all very smart on how long things should take, and there's a lot of competition.

Blessed is the slave that learns to love the lash, is one of the best 40k quotes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, when the deadline is set is the issue, one can do it to avoid things going to crap.  However, I suppose games is a different market, customers in that space care greatly about when they get something, and are all very smart on how long things should take, and there's a lot of competition.

Blessed is the slave that learns to love the lash, is one of the best 40k quotes.

You are so naive :)

Come on, it's not that bad. Nothing beats the thrill of having an encroaching deadline, way too much left to do, crunch to get it done somehow, then work 72 hours straight right before release day, have somthing break at 3 past midnight, barely fix it in time and then have to deal with people complaining your ear off.

8 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I would imagine the burnout rate is going to be a problem.

Crunch makes you dead inside. It breaks your memory. It breaks your recollection of events. Everything becomes a blur, one day blending into the other, endless pressure, endless demands, seemingly endless work days with absolutely no end in sight, and once the project is done and released you'll end up having an inderterminate time of support duty because heaven knows, no matter how much testing you do, no matter how much you think something's working or safe or easy to use, the users find some way to break it.

Sometimes, just sometimes you get stuck on an issue that seems completely impossible to resolve because you don't even have the slightest idea what's wrong. And it goes on, and on, and on. And you have people calling. Every day. Complaining. Every day. And then the next day someone new calls and says: "Hey, I just wanted to ask, is this ever going to work properly or do we have to get used to the miserable performance of the program?"

At that point you finally realize why people commit suicide or run amok. Or do both.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

40 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

You are so naive :)

Not sure how you got that.  But in my last two firms, poor project management has been the issue and nothing to do with upper management  (and politics) - and that's even with the latitude clients have given us due to us being enmeshed in their org or just merely switching products being a PITA.  So, like I said, it can be avoided, at least out of games. 

36 minutes ago, majestic said:

Sometimes, just sometimes you get stuck on an issue that seems completely impossible to resolve because you don't even have the slightest idea what's wrong. And it goes on, and on, and on. And you have people calling. Every day. Complaining. Every day. And then the next day someone new calls and says: "Hey, I just wanted to ask, is this ever going to work properly or do we have to get used to the miserable performance of the program?"

You see this is why you need a support developer that has to deal with raging users and fix your ****ty code. 😛

Edited by Malcador

6 hours ago, Azdeus said:

6 days extra work over 6 weeks sucks, but they are getting paid for it, CDPR is following Polish labour laws from what I've been told, so since they are working a weekend day they ought to be getting double the pay aswell. Anything over 40 hours is considered overtime.

@Skarpen Did I get this correct?

As far as I know that's the case.

• Thanks 2

166215__front.jpg

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

You see this is why you need a support developer that has to deal with raging users and fix your ****ty code. 😛

I'd love to no longer be my own 1st, 2nd and 3rd level support but in this case we were chasing intermittent slowdowns that happened for no immediately apparent reasons after a major release change. DB load and query execution time was fine, the application servers were bored, memory usage was fine. Then we went on to measure round trips between clients and servers, code execution time. Everything said "this is fine" but it wasn't.

Found out what was going on by stumbling upon a seemingly unrelated but no less hilarious issue of some code working most of the time and failing some of the time, but absolutely never when debugged. A classic Heisenbug. Turns out that the login system was the cause. Too many logins and the application server is stuck being busy logging people in an puts everything else on hold. That was no real problem for local logins, but web users had a nice little page available that would log in directly in a loop through selected records, with potentially disastrous results if the users caused a larger amount of records to be collected. Which they did. Still do. Heh. Damn thing.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Doesn't sound like Squadrons is total crap, so that's something.

And if someone has a 3D printer and doesn't have a flight stick then there is a solution for that.

For some reason GOG will allow you to buy games from Epic Store, though GOG client. I won't lie, if on top of managing libraries, GOG would allow to shop through it as well it would be great. I wonder if they managed to negotiate some kind of cu (EDIT. They did, should have read the article first) t, or if it is just an attempt to bring as many folks to GOG as possible. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Hmmm 1

11 hours ago, majestic said:

I'd love to no longer be my own 1st, 2nd and 3rd level support but in this case we were chasing intermittent slowdowns that happened for no immediately apparent reasons after a major release change. DB load and query execution time was fine, the application servers were bored, memory usage was fine. Then we went on to measure round trips between clients and servers, code execution time. Everything said "this is fine" but it wasn't.

Found out what was going on by stumbling upon a seemingly unrelated but no less hilarious issue of some code working most of the time and failing some of the time, but absolutely never when debugged. A classic Heisenbug. Turns out that the login system was the cause. Too many logins and the application server is stuck being busy logging people in an puts everything else on hold. That was no real problem for local logins, but web users had a nice little page available that would log in directly in a loop through selected records, with potentially disastrous results if the users caused a larger amount of records to be collected. Which they did. Still do. Heh. Damn thing.

Sometimes I suspect everyone on the internet is a software engineer.

• Like 2