rAND-ohm vIDeO game NEW$

Amentep

16 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I've seen several of you post on the Assassin's Creed games in this and other threads, so would like to get some feedback from anyone about those games. Right now on Steam AC: Origins is 80% off and AC: Odyssey is 67% off, and so I was considering getting them. Any thoughts on these games, both positive and negative? In particular, should I bother with Origins, or else ignore that game and go straight to Odyssey? And also, I know they began introducing RPG elements only from Origins, so do these games actually have decent RPG value or else are they just mostly hack and slash action games with little of note outside of combat? Many thanks in advance.

None of the AC games are hack and slash games. They are all open world parkour exploration games. If you like to explore historical settings and climb stuff, then they all have something to offer. 

They've also all had RPG aspects, but Origins was the first to introduce levels. It actually made it a bit more grindy and combat orientated, so I'm not sure I loved it, but to each their own. I haven't played Odyssey. Honestly I'd just choose the game with the setting that intrigues you the most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it seems PoE3 is not happening anytime soon. Outerworld expansions, Grounded and Avowed are the next Obsidian games.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

No surprise about lack of PoE3, and no surprise about 1st person PoE. We heard talk about it ("Feargus would like to do that") for a while now.

My personal opinion: Even if it plays like Skyrim, it won't get the same success unless they make it possible to create mods this time. Nobody is talking about their last game anymore ... heck,  I even forget the name, and IMO big part in that is lack of any mods.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

How long into it do you think we'll hear a "Not great, not terrible" gag?

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The Grounded trailer was funny. It looks like it could be a nice family friendly alternative to all the survival games out there. Hopefully it will also have a decent story to follow through. That is what sets Conan Exiles and Subnautica apart for me. I like harvesting resources and making a base, but I need to have some sort of narrative thread to follow. 

Avowed looks great and I am sure I will grab it day 1. Given that PoE2 did not sell well, I am glad they are continuing to use the Eora setting. People keep mentioning this as a Skyrim clone. That sounds great. Just like Fallout: NV was better than the Bethesda games, I expect this could be better than the Elder Scroll games. Realistically though I expect it to be a well written game in a universe that I enjoy. That's really all I need. There will probably even be memorable NPC's!

Gorgon looks like a solid new planet for Outer Worlds and gives me a good reason to pick the game up again. 

44 minutes ago, Agiel said:

How long into it do you think we'll hear a "Not great, not terrible" gag?

Hmm, i thought storywise Stalker was kinda over. It would be nice if they ditch that and rather get into original story as was in the book - eg alien encounter

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Gorgon looks like a solid new planet for Outer Worlds and gives me a good reason to pick the game up again. 

Asteroid

• Haha 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

21 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I've seen several of you post on the Assassin's Creed games in this and other threads, so would like to get some feedback from anyone about those games. Right now on Steam AC: Origins is 80% off and AC: Odyssey is 67% off, and so I was considering getting them. Any thoughts on these games, both positive and negative? In particular, should I bother with Origins, or else ignore that game and go straight to Odyssey? And also, I know they began introducing RPG elements only from Origins, so do these games actually have decent RPG value or else are they just mostly hack and slash action games with little of note outside of combat? Many thanks in advance.

Since Hurlshot did Origins, I've played Odyssey and while you wouldn't play it for the RPG elements it is a really well thought out and quite beautiful game that I would think most people would get a lot of enjoyment out of. I doubt most will finish it though, it's really long and at some point the Point of Interest farming gets boring despite there being a lot of variety; you can avoid a lot of combat but sneaking and combat does eventually get tiresome because there is an immense amount of it unless you stick to the main plot where there's only a lot instead. The plot is almost directly based on historical events from the Peloponesian War and does as good a job there as anyone could reasonably expect (toned Alcibiades down a bit, maybe) and the meta plot is... kind of just there, occasionally. If you get it pick the female protagonist, much like female Shepard in Mass Effect she's better in pretty much every respect. It has utransactions, if you care about that, but they're utterly ignorable and unnecessary for progression.

I'd say it's definitely worth getting so long as you aren't a compulsive completionist or don't like open world or the perspective used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

And it's 1st of two narrative DLCs. I don't know if "narrative" is just a descriptor of the DLCs for Outer Worlds, or if it suggest that there will be non-narrative DLCs as well, on top of those two.

12 hours ago, Oner said:

My first and primary thought: what does this mean about our chances of getting a third Watcher story?

Spoiler

Deadfire ends on a cliffhanger. It's not that Obsidian owes me anything, but I would like to know if the Watcher's games are over. Ideally pretty soon.

Wow, I almost bought AssCreed Origins last week, but felt bad about the still 60 bucks price tag ... and today I see that it was reduced by 80% ... I would have been seriously pissed if I bought it last week.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

That's from three months before Deadfire broke even, so I still hope.

I'd like to hope too, but I don't think that MS would greenlight a third installment on a franchise that broke even on the second installment. If we have any hope of getting part three, I'm willing to bet it would have to be crowdfunded.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

I'd like to hope too, but I don't think that MS would greenlight a third installment on a franchise that broke even on the second installment. If we have any hope of getting part three, I'm willing to bet it would have to be crowdfunded.

You never know, to be honest, besides the crowd funding on fig, I have not seen any marketing about that game. Might be local thing, but still. Some good MS marketing can make a big difference in sales even for the games like Sea of Thieves and Fable 😛 From what I understand MS bought some studios to be able to produce some AA games, so I hope they will stick to that and will be willing to greenlight even more niche products.

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Man are they effing things up these days. This policy of future games being playable on Xbox One hardware is really messing things up.  Even Halo Infinite looked nothing special. and how does Greenberg still have job?

˘˘˘˘˘

1.13 killed off Ja2.

So Microsoft just rolled out a new patch for Age of Empires 2 DE that introduces an annoying stutter every minute or two of gameplay, independent of system performance. However interestingly this only happens on the Steam version of the game, not the Microsoft Store version. Hmm....

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Creators behind the Suikoden series are planning to kickstart a 'spiritual successors series, Eiyuden Chronicles.  If its more like the first two than the others, I'd be interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/7/24/21337046/suikoden-spiritual-successor-eiyuden-chronicle-kickstarter

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

So Microsoft just rolled out a new patch for Age of Empires 2 DE that introduces an annoying stutter every minute or two of gameplay, independent of system performance. However interestingly this only happens on the Steam version of the game, not the Microsoft Store version. Hmm....

The Steam/GOG version of Metro Exodus has a nasty crash bug (lock ups at the Lighthouse and Crane on the Caspian level, and the lighthouse crash is in a mandatory section) that I didn't encounter in the gamepass version, and that's 3rd party. It would be far easier for MS simply not to put their games on Steam than to purposefully break them.