Politics XXXVIII (A Nontotient)

Amentep

7 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

oh, well, if the french are doing it... and obvious the random article proves that most muslims fleeing the middle east, asia and sub-saharan africa is bringing religious persecution with them.

*chuckle*

we can do this too

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/us/politics/hr-mcmaster-trump-islam.html

general mcmaster, and most o' the military brass, is in favor o' muslim refugees getting asylum in the US as doing so undermines efforts o' groups such as isis from simple optics pov, but also provides a wealth o' intelligence resources with which to combat more radical elements in the middle east.

HA! Good Fun!

well, on one hand you provide theory, on other i provide harsh reality. And I actually agree that providing asylum will give you more information about radicals in the middle east, question is if the cost is worth it. I don't know about you, but I know few people in France and they are very liberal and very scared what is happening with their country. And its not only France. UK have problems already as well. When there were elections in Turkey Berlin looked like Erdogans garden party. You may not feel it but these problems are brewing in Europe, but media are not reporting on it that much and if they does... well you know we have tons of Nazis here...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Just now, Chilloutman said:

... but I know few people in France and they are very liberal and very scared what is happening with their country. And its not only France.

more o' this, eh?

reality, harsh or otherwise is the US has a population o' muslims and the nightmare stuff you conjure ain't happening here save in extreme limited numbers... and far below the persecution levels delivered unto those muslim communities.

Community shows support for Memphis Islamic Center after New Zealand massacre

for every, "i know people in france," bit o' whatever, we may link stories to reality on the ground in communities across the US. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

more o' this, eh?

reality, harsh or otherwise is the US has a population o' muslims and the nightmare stuff you conjure ain't happening here save in extreme limited numbers... and far below the persecution levels delivered unto those muslim communities.

Community shows support for Memphis Islamic Center after New Zealand massacre

for every, "i know people in france," bit o' whatever, we may link stories to reality on the ground in communities across the US. 

HA! Good Fun!

cmon man, you can't compare France with US in that regard, you have whole ocean between you and Middle East and Africa. Its big difference between few well vetted people you get and mass illegal waves they are getting in south Europe... France already have almost 10% population of muslim religion...

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 minute ago, HoonDing said:

"France already have almost 10% population of muslim religion... "

Bosnia has 50% muslim

THE HORROR

Well obviously they destroyed Yugoslavia.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

"France already have almost 10% population of muslim religion... "

Bosnia has 50% muslim

THE HORROR

Well I would not want to live in Bosnia, I would not want to live in 50% muslim country, I am not sure if french people want to live in 50% muslim country either...

what is your argument here anyway?

17 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

cmon man, you can't compare France with US in that regard, you have whole ocean between you and Middle East and Africa. Its big difference between few well vetted people you get and mass illegal waves they are getting in south Europe... France already have almost 10% population of muslim religion...

am gonna ignore the fundamental flaw in your reasoning and remind you that what started this were your response to a post 'bout the appropriateness o' a US muslim ban.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

am gonna ignore the fundamental flaw in your reasoning and remind you that what started this were your response to a post 'bout the appropriateness o' a US muslim ban.

HA! Good Fun!

fair enough, i will just point out that calling it muslim ban is even more flawed, yet you still repeat it anyway :)

23 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

fair enough, i will just point out that calling it muslim ban is even more flawed, yet you still repeat it anyway :)

tenor.gif

that is what trump called it. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

tenor.gif

that is what trump called it. 

HA! Good Fun!

well, he is an idiot :) but what i meant was that he didnt ban muslims per say, just few selected countries IIRC

11 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

well, he is an idiot :) but what i meant was that he didnt ban muslims per say, just few selected countries IIRC

our complaint were 'bout trump and the people who voted for the idiot advocating a muslim ban. trump tried to implement his muslim ban via an executive order, and failed 'cause The Court stopped him. the muslim ban became a ban/limit on asylum seekers and immigrants from specific countries... which btw should enrage trump's evangelical christian supporters 'cause the newer and shinier ban functional ended christian asylum seekers from places such as syria being able to escape to the US. added a new humanitarian crisis.

"is shameful we elected a guy who were promising a muslim ban. fact such weren't the red line for voters is a stain on our national character which is gonna take a long time to expunge, particular as am suspecting such bigotry has become worse these past three years."

the complaint were 'bout the willingness o' voters to either agree with or look past the muslim ban. we voted a guy into office who were promising a muslim ban, and fact The Courts stepped and declared the attempt unconstitutional does no exonerate trump or the rest o' Americans. 

we failed. miserable failure. trump were not a surprise. we didn't need +3 years to realize a mistake. trump promised a muslim ban in 2015, and all too many o' us in this country looked the other way... too many cheered trump.

shame.

Edited by Gromnir

Damn, 50 dead and nearly 3000 wounded.  Apparently explosion was at a warehouse storing ammonium nitrate near the port, which is itself also damaged heavily.

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12353763

Strange that he'd have an interview with a non-US journalist, they tend to be less compliant than US ones

video

(hopefully that plays outside the US)

chris wallace, the staff at the washington post, ny times and a few dozen other outlets would like to have a word with you.

might seem like american journalists go ez on trump 'cause he rare appears for an interview save for with people such as hannity and his ilk. 'course after the recent interviews with wallace and swann, am wondering if we see another interview with anything but guaranteed trump cheerleaders. PotUS looked ridiculous during the fox and axios interviews, and no amount o' gaslighting from the wh is gonna convince undecided voters that trump advanced his standing in polls with his interview performances.

mr. swann, as an aside, is in the process o' becoming a US citizen.

HA! Good Fun!

52 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Damn, 50 dead and nearly 3000 wounded.  Apparently explosion was at a warehouse storing ammonium nitrate near the port, which is itself also damaged heavily.

Damn, that's a huge explosion. Look at those houses near the epicentre :S

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

21 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

chris wallace, the staff at the washington post, ny times and a few dozen other outlets would like to have a word with you.

might seem like american journalists go ez on trump 'cause he rare appears for an interview save for with people such as hannity and his ilk. 'course after the recent interviews with wallace and swann, am wondering if we see another interview with anything but guaranteed trump cheerleaders. PotUS looked ridiculous during the fox and axios interviews, and no amount o' gaslighting from the wh is gonna convince undecided voters that trump advanced his standing in polls with his interview performances.

mr. swann, as an aside, is in the process o' becoming a US citizen.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, meant generally, maybe is just skewed by what I see up here, but US journalists never seem aggressive enough to their subject.  But then again, probably is a bit unfair as they are chosen for a reason.  Maybe Trump's staff wants him to fail by letting Axios interview him, heh.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Supposedly a container of fireworks overheated and went off first, which ignited the ammonium nitrate- that had been stored insecurely at the port since being seized off an abandoned ship in... 2014. Could have sent it over here, we'd have used it as fertiliser inside a few months, then wonder why all our rivers had mysteriously turned bright green.

50 dead was the confirmed figure, it will likely be well into the hundreds.

Trump now claims he was told it was an attack.  For what that is worth, anyway.

Edited by Malcador

I'd be surprised if it wasn't an attack. Don't need Trump to think that. Buildings don't explode like that by accident though it is possible. I say 70/30 chance it was a terrorist attack of some sort tough it seems the hints are that it was accident this time... Or it could be Isreal. Probably white trash Amerikan. You know how those Nazi KKK guys row in modern times always blowing up buildings because of their evil hateful politics.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, nah. Wouldn't be in  the least bit surprised if Trump misspoke (said 'attack', meant 'explosion') and then doubled down instead of correcting himself.

It's possible that ISIS or someone knew that there was ammonium nitrate there, but blowing up a container of fireworks on a ship to set it off seems a bit convoluted when a car/ truck bomb would be the trick more reliably. Stealthing in 2750t of ammonium nitrate is definitely non trivial and a bit beyond the capabilities of most, and there is (supposedly, since I cannot read arab script) a report begging for its disposal from years ago which suggests it has been there for years as described. Most likely systemic poor management, and bad luck.

Tim McVeigh used ammonium nitrate, but his mix was a lot better as an explosive because it wasn't just ammonium nitrate (ie, it was ANFO). Fortunately the Beirut explosion was not that efficient, since you can see a lot of distinctive brown smoke from the various nitrous oxides, ie there was incomplete reduction of the nitrogen. 2750t of ammonium nitrate is a ridiculous amount- theoretically about 2kt of TNT equivalent, iirc- which if detonated efficiently would be one of the largest conventional explosions ever. Current estimate seems to be about 1kt equivalent actually exploded so as bad as it was it could have been worse.

• Like 1

well, storing that amount of explosive material in quite populated area seems like really big nono to me. Not sure how this even happen...

6 hours ago, Volourn said:

Don't worry, after a firm scolding I'm sure they will let him out again.

Hell will freeze solid before I ever set foot in a place like New York. Heck even Dyersburg has too many people for me. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Don't know if anyone posted this or not. It was a messge from the Minneapolis PD to residents in one part of the city:

Minneapolis Police: Be Ready To Get Robbed And 'Do As They Say ...

Would anyone like to guess why this kind of thing would never happen in Northwest Tennessee? 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Very low population density.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: