Politics XXXVIII (A Nontotient)

Amentep

tik tok should be nuked to oblivion no matter who own that crap...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

It's humorous how often he tweets ridiculous things, but as he said, his voting base doesn't care about any of that stuff. They will stay loyal even if he shoots someone on main street in broad daylight, or whatever it was he claimed. 

I dunno. It's perfectly reasonable to be anti-democrat no matter how f----d the Republican candidate is. And vice versa.  Of course if you were voting purely for Not Democrat  or Not Republican I can't imagine you'd feel compelled to loyally defend your alternative. 

As you already know, for me a choice between a Democrat or a Republican is no choice at all.

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't even know what tik tok is

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

11 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I don't even know what tik tok is

Besides being the social media construct for the latest young generation and a way to get their potential 5 minutes of world fame, its a device for China to suck all your personal data and get access to everything you do on your phone.

Supposedly.  :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

50 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Besides being the social media construct for the latest young generation and a way to get their potential 5 minutes of world fame, its a device for China to suck all your personal data and get access to everything you do on your phone.

Imagine that, a social media platform that sucks up all your personal data! Unheard of! 😝

• Hmmm 2

11 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Imagine that, a social media platform that sucks up all your personal data! Unheard of! 😝

yeah, they somehow however always manage to trump the previous one. I thought it was bad enough when facebook blown up

• Thanks 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Also thicc-thots.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Also thicc-thots.

hey hey... thats the only positive side of those things!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

hey hey... thats the only positive side of those things!

And now they're going to be gone 😢

F

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The US justice system in one meme

116793105_3160121580697642_7146879306444

• Sad 1

Thomas Sowell

To me tik tok is still a song by Kesha. Or Ke$ha, but I feel like my IQ drops every time I type that.

If tik tok goes my nieces will be devastated and have to rely on the wholly non data harvesting Youtube/ Google/ Alphabet instead.

13 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Well yes, but the existing ones are fronts for the NSA and corporates. Tik Tok is (supposedly, of course) a front for the CCP instead which is bad.

Kind of funny really, the rumour that [chinese entity] is doing something is bad, [US entity] definitely doing the same thing on the other hand...

• Like 1

Too funny not to share:

116084917_3151268971582903_2377170594245

If you ever get tired of voting for the lesser evil allow me to remind you there are names on your ballot other than Donald Trump and Joe Biden

Thomas Sowell

"Kind of funny really, the rumour that [chinese entity] is doing something is bad, [US entity] definitely doing the same thing on the other hand... "

Even if that's true, it makes no sense for country A to allow country B to do something in their own country just because they do it. Afterall, China locks up people who protest China but if a bunch of Chinese citizens were protesting the US in China I doubt China would care. L0L

As for Biden, the guy is a coward and a joke. He is gonna pick someone who basically called him a racist and a scumbag on national tv. Yeah, she said,"You aren't a racist, but.." However, if you say that then list 'racist' polices that someone supports you are clearly calling him a racist. He is absolutely pathetic. Then again, Trump was a life long Democrat but chose to run as a Republican because 'they are dumb'. L0L Politicians. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

46 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The US justice system in one meme

reading fail.

"faces" v. "gets."

foster mom were facing life in prison. she got 1 year after pleading guilty. that said, so light a sentence for a first degree felony is curious, regardless o' first time offense and the guilty plea. haven't read details o' the story to know what were extenuating circumstances, if any. mental illness is a common mitigating factor in such cases where sentence is extreme low. mental ill for purposes o' insanity plea is an extreme difficult standard. more than one mental ill person has inappropriate done serious time 'cause a d!ckless judge wanted to look tough before reelection. mental ill such that a person is incapable o' forming criminal intent is much different than a finding mental illness were a significant contributing factor in a tragedy.

but again, am not suggesting the woman were mental ill as we have no details other than curious brief period o' incarceration. if she were mental ill and were nevertheless a foster mother, it would also explain why the state were willing to give her such a small sentence as part o' a guilty plea. State likes to avoid trials in such cases. nevertheless, am complete pulling stuff outta thin air on this one as we got absolute zero to base any conclusion as to the why o' the paltry sentence.

on the negative side, is too many crimes with mandatory sentencing minimums. judges frequent have zero latitude to reduce a sentence. all it takes is a few stories like the foster mom to have the public get angry 'bout a judge giving sentences which is too light, and then The People vote for statutory minimum sentences to prevent such happening in the future.

what is wrong with the justice system is what is wrong with government: o'toole's corollary o' finagle's law. 

well, and the occasional reading fail.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Even if that's true, it makes no sense for country A to allow country B to do something in their own country just because they do it. Afterall, China locks up people who protest China but if a bunch of Chinese citizens were protesting the US in China I doubt China would care. L0L"

I'm not Amerikkkan though*. The chances of anyone being effected by NZ apps or hardware with backdoors in them from the SIS is... not substantial. Probably the better argument at least for Tik Tok and software is that China happily 'bans' (technically makes it too hard for them to operate, in most cases) US software companies that have strong relations with the NSA such as Alphabet/ Google or Facebook.

*I'd prefer neither country to be trying to backdoor every device I own. And the one that definitely is is the US; for all the looking that has gone on neither Huawei nor Tik Tok has had the allegations against them substantiated in any respect.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

reading fail.

"faces" v. "gets."

foster mom were facing life in prison. she got 1 year after pleading guilty. that said, so light a sentence for a first degree felony is curious, regardless o' first time offense and the guilty plea. haven't read details o' the story to know what were extenuating circumstances, if any. mental illness is a common mitigating factor in such cases where sentence is extreme low. mental ill for purposes o' insanity plea is an extreme difficult standard. more than one mental ill person has inappropriate done serious time 'cause a d!ckless judge wanted to look tough before reelection. mental ill such that a person is incapable o' forming criminal intent is much different than a finding mental illness were a significant contributing factor in a tragedy.

but again, am not suggesting the woman were mental ill as we have no details other than curious brief period o' incarceration. if she were mental ill and were nevertheless a foster mother, it would also explain why the state were willing to give her such a small sentence as part o' a guilty plea. State likes to avoid trials in such cases. nevertheless, am complete pulling stuff outta thin air on this one as we got absolute zero to base any conclusion as to the why o' the paltry sentence.

on the negative side, is too many crimes with mandatory sentencing minimums. judges frequent have zero latitude to reduce a sentence. all it takes is a few stories like the foster mom to have the public get angry 'bout a judge giving sentences which is too light, and then The People vote for statutory minimum sentences to prevent such happening in the future.

what is wrong with the justice system is what is wrong with government: o'toole's corollary o' finagle's law. 

well, and the occasional reading fail.

HA! Good Fun!

A witten forum post is like a rifle shot. Aimed. Considered. Directed at a specific target. that target may be sarcasm, it may be intellectual provocation. Some of us are better shots than others. some could not hit the broadside of a barn. Even the most talented marksmen sometimes miss. But it's easy to judge what the shooter was aiming for and whether they hit the target

A meme is like a grenade. Loud, blunt, unsophisticated and may not always hit the target and sometimes even does collateral damage. They often make a point but do it in a way that does not bear up to close analysis. Some are duds some are not and few are made by the people who post them. 

You would concede I'm sure, there are MANY non-violent drug offenders serving longer sentences that others who actually hurt or even killed people? If so then the grenade was at least thrown through the correct window.

Thomas Sowell

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

You would concede I'm sure, there are MANY non-violent drug offenders serving longer sentences that others who actually hurt or even killed people? If so then the grenade was at least thrown through the correct window.

window couldn't be more wrong, particular as is gd hurling the grenade.  reason we got statutory minimums and crap such as three-strikes is 'cause The People took the decision making process away from the justice system. non-violent drug offenders serving long prison terms is amongst the dooms prophesied by cassandra when The People clamored for real justice and derided the system for being too lenient on repeat offenders and drug pushers.

oh, and am not gonna need remind gd how as a dyed-in-wool libertarian, fact utah continues to criminalize marijuana sales and recreational use is their choice and fed or people in ca, tn or washington dc got no legal right to interfere with their choices.

foster mom were facing life. the foreign national from romania, with his 341 pounds o' marijuana, faces 40 years in large part 'cause is an international smuggling issue as well as drugs. the American woman who were arrested with mr. goran is facing up to five years for the intent to distribute.

one problem with using memes to make a point is that all too often they is a poor contruced grenade which blows up in the hands o' the user.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

10 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

one problem with using memes to make a point is that all too often they is a poor contruced grenade which blows up in the hands o' the user.

HA! Good Fun!

Embarasses you every time! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

Embarasses you every time! :lol:

kinda weird from our pov. am knowing gd thinks of self as a critical thinker who is suspicious o' media and government, so am always perplexed when you use an unvetted article or meme to make a point. sure is just a meme, but as you admitted, you used the meme 'cause you believed it spoke, in a funny way, to a societal truth. 'course is not just gd who does this.

regardless, if you keep using memes which to some degree prove opposite o' what you want, or articles which got zero corroboration 'cause they is tinfoil hat fodder, am gonna personal keep doing the diogenes bit. if we keep up our campaign, am convinced you is eventual gonna be double-checking your sources with pathological vigor.

perhaps not.

HA! Good Fun!

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

regardless, if you keep using memes which to some degree prove opposite o' what you want, or articles which got zero corroboration 'cause they is tinfoil hat fodder, am gonna personal keep doing the diogenes bit. if we keep up our campaign, am convinced you is eventual gonna be double-checking your sources with pathological vigor.

Why bother? You're here to do it for us, :biggrin:.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Why bother? You're here to do it for us, :biggrin:.

there is that. admitted, if we see linked story is one o' vol's gateway pundit bits, we ignore 'cause is vol... and 'cause is gateway pundit. is more than a few reddit cellar warriors who misuse selective quotes from otherwise reputable sources, but such is not gd's problem. 

gd, unlike the reddit folks, is not dishonest. he also ain't hopeless as is vol and similar persons. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkqIhpzroR-7X03y1_5OM

gd can be the wild-eyed hermit with his lantern and his dogs. we believe in gd.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

there is that. admitted, if we see linked story is one o' vol's gateway pundit bits, we ignore 'cause is vol... and 'cause is gateway pundit. is more than a few reddit cellar warriors who misuse selective quotes from otherwise reputable sources, but such is not gd's problem. 

gd, unlike the reddit folks, is not dishonest. he also ain't hopeless as is vol and similar persons. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkqIhpzroR-7X03y1_5OM

gd can be the wild-eyed hermit with his lantern and his dogs. we believe in gd.

HA! Good Fun!

When arguing (especially to people of opposite bends), it very often helps to actually come across as a person with empathizable points of view and experiences. Which is why, even though I rarely agree with him on many of the hot-button issues that have come up here, I've nary even entertained the thought of putting Guard Dog on the famed and oft-mentioned Bartimaeus Ignore List, while I've instantly put other obvious disingenuous dog****ters (of which we've had a number of over the years, including a few whom, if I took them at face value, I would often agree with) on it after reading literally one post by them. Thumbs up for actual people who post from their unique perspectives based on their life experiences, thumbs down for the other kind.

(e): empathizable, not emphasizable

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That comparison seems harsh to disingenuous dog****ters tbh.

I'd argue that mandatory minimum sentences is one of many problems with the carceral system and is something that should be done away with along with the whole tough on crime bull****.

And the Settle for Biden is a hoot, it's pretty much saying Biden isn't going to satisfy the bernouts but they better vote for him anyways.

That's enough politics for now, I've got a bottle of bourbon and it's stay the **** inside weather so I'm going to watch a movie.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sb8QNXp.jpg

• Haha 4