Politics XXXVIII (A Nontotient)

Amentep

11 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Good stuff!

Moved this one from the funny thread as it is really more political than funny

Honest government ads... Australia's best export since AC/DC 😁

• Thanks 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

John Lewis's funeral yesterday morphed from a memorial service for a good man into a nauseating political soapbox from which Obama looked down his nose at us once more and "shamed" us for being so terrible. It took less than a minute for me to remember why I disliked that man so much. Calling for the end of the filibuster is a great way to get the "tyranny of the majority". You want to break up the US? That is an excellent first step. Of course I think it's coming anyway and we should just get on with it. But that's me.

Yesterday's little show was hardly the first. Or worst. Remember this disgusting little exhibition at the "funeral" for Paul Wellstone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMVVUtd_Yw

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You've never had Fosters green can?

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

John Lewis's funeral yesterday morphed from a memorial service for a good man into a nauseating political soapbox from which Obama looked down his nose at us once more and "shamed" us for being so terrible. It took less than a minute for me to remember why I disliked that man so much. Calling for the end of the filibuster is a great way to get the "tyranny of the majority". You want to break up the US? That is an excellent first step. Of course I think it's coming anyway and we should just get on with it. But that's me.

Yesterday's little show was hardly the first. Or worst. Remember this disgusting little exhibition at the "funeral" for Paul Wellstone?

I dunno, Americans should hear that they are terrible more often.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

am tending to agree. am thinking obama were as much taking an opportunity to vindicate his own administration as he were honoring the life of john lewis. obama's history is bad, or selective, and his own attacks on the filibuster has looked less and less wise the further we get from him leaving office. filibuster is Not a relic o' jim crow as it had been around considerable before such time as jim crow laws. did southern democrats use filibuster to make efforts to end jim crow more difficult? yes, but we keep telling folks how whenever you wanna change rules, you better look at such a move as a weapon pointed at something or someone you love. any number o' incompetent judges and suspect trump cabinet positions woulda' been avoided but for obama and harry reid's mistaken filibuster elimination for appointments. kavanaugh wouldn't be a scotus Justice as such was only possible as retaliation for obama era filibuster killing. 

oh, and one thing which should give all progressive democrats pause: trump agrees with obama regarding filibuster.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the filibuster stuff were literal one sentence in a long eulogy. can argue wrong place and time to advocate specifics o' a voting rights bill, but am ok with such. only real issue we had were with filibuster as it is something for which obama were criticized and it stuck out noteworthy in an otherwise admirable eulogy. unnecessary. wrong. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Maybe you can load them into trains as you send them off, Volo. That doesn't sound anything like nazism. 

Oh, come on. This is the kind of silliness that makes meshbacks want to "own the libs". Putting illegal aliens in trains (or planes) and sending them back is now a distinctly nazi policy?

278.jpg

We already have Volourn. No need for everyone else to also crank the nonsense up to 11 too.

By the way, people attempting to escape violence and people leaving due to economic factors are really two separate categories. The first one is already protected, and putting both on the same level is the kind of rhetorical turn that has led us to the current situation where people cannot seem to agree on anything and just shout slogans at each other.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

11 hours ago, Volourn said:

You know full well if I went to the US illegally, you and others would want me thrown out of the country no questions asked if not outright killed.

I don't think you're quite the right colour to provoke them that much, Volo.  And you speak English so you're less scary 😛

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Moved this one from the funny thread as it is really more political than funny

whenever they do a US focused video, they insist on trying out their American accents.  

might wanna rethink that choice. if am thinking to self while listening that gerard butler does a better American accent, you did something distractingly wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

32 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Oh, come on. This is the kind of silliness that makes meshbacks want to "own the libs". Putting illegal aliens in trains (or planes) and sending them back is now a distinctly nazi policy?

278.jpg

We already have Volourn. No need for everyone else to also crank the nonsense up to 11 too.

By the way, people attempting to escape violence and people leaving due to economic factors are really two separate categories. The first one is already protected, and putting both on the same level is the kind of rhetorical turn that has led us to the current situation where people cannot seem to agree on anything and just shout slogans at each other.

Relax, it was just poking fun at Volo with the train comment.

I don't think it is as easy to separate violence and poverty as you are making it sound. Central American immigration is being driven by both. They may not be traditional war-torn areas like Syria or the DRC, but I'm not sure why that makes them any less desperate. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/18/trump-administration-threatened-cut-foreign-aid-if-central-american-countries-dont-stem-migration/

"I don't think you're quite the right colour to provoke them that much, Volo.  And you speak English so you're less scary 😛"

According to the law, I'm not just white or 'European' descendent, I'm also 'Native' aka I'm Gromnir's 'kin'.  I actually likely qualify for my 'status card'. At least one of my brothers went and got his. LMAO  Haha.

(even though I'm mostly a French Frog. *ribbit*)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Relax, it was just poking fun at Volo with the train comment.

I don't think it is as easy to separate violence and poverty as you are making it sound. Central American immigration is being driven by both. They may not be traditional war-torn areas like Syria or the DRC, but I'm not sure why that makes them any less desperate. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/18/trump-administration-threatened-cut-foreign-aid-if-central-american-countries-dont-stem-migration/

I know you were responding to Vol. Sadly the devaluation of terms isn't exclusive to edge characters, and eliciting an emotional response rather than a rational one is increasingly the cornerstone of discussion, especially online. In person, discussion seems to be either dead or quickly devolving to fisticuffs, from my experience. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this -- that came off a bit preachier than I intended.

And yes, it's usually societies with extreme poverty that also suffer endemic violence, so it's not clear cut. Generally the people being granted special protection are those being targeted specifically, rather than just anybody at risk of suffering random acts of violence, because it's known that the potential for loss of life due to systematic, organized persecution is much higher than that resulting from high levels of crime and poverty. Not to mention that citizens in countries with high levels of crime are under the protection of their respective states, nominally at least, if we are to have sovereign nations. However if it's the state targeting them, they cannot very well expect protection from it, and so seeking asylum is reasonable.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The dad'll set the Republic on fire...

13 hours ago, Volourn said:

"I don't think you're quite the right colour to provoke them that much, Volo.  And you speak English so you're less scary 😛"

According to the law, I'm not just white or 'European' descendent, I'm also 'Native' aka I'm Gromnir's 'kin'.  I actually likely qualify for my 'status card'. At least one of my brothers went and got his. LMAO  Haha.

(even though I'm mostly a French Frog. *ribbit*)

So you and Gromnir are ethnically related, nice one :thumbsup:

It must be nice to have an automatic kinship and brotherhood with other forum members 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So you and Gromnir are ethnically related, nice one :thumbsup:

It must be nice to have an automatic kinship and brotherhood with other forum members 

first, blood/dna is not how Gromnir's "kin" recognize familial bonds. shared experience and traditions is what counts, and lord knows vol's experiences is clear foreign to ours.

second, you do realize it is mildly offensive to suggest all indigenous people o' the Americas is somehow related, yes? is +570 recognized tribes in the US register, and those recognized tribes, as we has mentioned more than once, is not representing a comprehensive list. is many indigenous people who have never been having their "kin" acknowledged by the Fed and State governments o' the US. probable in the ballpark o' mid-700s unique and distinct cultures.

we were gonna leave as vol being vol. is not worth correcting vol even though we has indulged the pointless labor with sysphisian resolve more than once. am suspecting bruce is kinda/sorta joking, but isn't as humorous as you might suspect.

HA! Good Fun!

2 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

first, blood/dna is not how Gromnir's "kin" recognize familial bonds. shared experience and traditions is what counts, and lord knows vol's experiences is clear foreign to ours.

second, you do realize it is mildly offensive to suggest all indigenous people o' the Americas is somehow related, yes? is +570 recognized tribes in the US register, and those recognized tribes, as we has mentioned more than once, is not representing a comprehensive list. is many indigenous people who have never been having their "kin" acknowledged by the Fed and State governments o' the US. probable in the ballpark o' mid-700s unique and distinct cultures.

we were gonna leave as vol being vol. is not worth correcting vol even though we has indulged the pointless labor with sysphisian resolve more than once. am suspecting bruce is kinda/sorta joking, but isn't as humorous as you might suspect.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes I was joking, sorry for the misunderstanding 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"It must be nice to have an automatic kinship and brotherhood with other forum members"

L0L I'm 90% French Frog. I'm not a big fan of those cowards, and racists, and bigots.

Grom is a lawyer. I have no kinship with that ilk. 😛

Plus, Grom is right. Native tribes spent centuries mass murdering each other. They have as much kinship as the Brits and French do despite both white - they have spent centuries trying to massacre and destroy the other.

There are plenty of whites who are complete trash to me. I don't care about their skin colour. Looking at you, Nazis.

• Haha 2

Huh, there really is always a tweet.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's humorous how often he tweets ridiculous things, but as he said, his voting base doesn't care about any of that stuff. They will stay loyal even if he shoots someone on main street in broad daylight, or whatever it was he claimed. 

Apparently he is going to try and use executive power to ban tik tok, which is something you would expect China to do to a foreign company, and not typically the other way around. Seems stupid.

11 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

It's humorous how often he tweets ridiculous things, but as he said, his voting base doesn't care about any of that stuff. They will stay loyal even if he shoots someone on main street in broad daylight, or whatever it was he claimed. 

Apparently he is going to try and use executive power to ban tik tok, which is something you would expect China to do to a foreign company, and not typically the other way around. Seems stupid.

But Tik Tok is a security risk while under Chinese influence, if Microsoft buys it then it can be trusted to not corrupt the minds of our young children :thumbsup:

John Milton 

33 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

just another autocrat trump move? fact trump can't legal achieve what he wants with an executive order is hardly even worth mentioning. if trump does it, and senate won't stop him...

as hurl observes, 86% o' republicans are nevertheless committed to voting for trump, no matter what. at this point trump is just throwing random stuff at the wall to see what sticks. he cannot hurt his campaign, 'cause after years o' trump being trump, the bar is so low we can no longer find it. the thing is, maybe he finds an issue which resonates with suburban women or midwest independents.

am suspecting we are gonna see this nonsense repeated weakly/weekly for the next three months.

@BruceVC

whatever security issues the platform presents ain't new. what changed is...

utter transparent.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/happened-stacey-abrams-happen-joe-071221607.html

And, people cry about Trump whining about potential 'unfair election'. LMAO Already making excuses.

"Apparently he is going to try and use executive power to ban tik tok, which is something you would expect China to do to a foreign company, and not typically the other way around. Seems stupid. "

All Chinese companies are owned by the Chinese government. FYI, Other countries have already banned TikTok.  No Chinese company should be allowed to be in any country. They can't be trusted. This goes for countries like Russia too. If you are a dictatorship, FULL BAN.