I don’t understand the logic here... food related

I can’t drag food over for characters to eat while  I’m at an inn? Why? I don’t get how this makes ANY sense. I can eat before battles but not while I’m in an actual public spot for rest and consumption? Lol

its pretty frustrating and I don’t get it. I’ve read a few similar threads so sorry if you guys are seeing “yet another misc. POE food thread” but this is just silly to me. I’d love to see who’s commandeering this logic train 🙄

Deadfire, methinks. I didn't find the way to use my food either when I wanted useful buffs in SSS instead of default crap. :getlost: 'course, inns IRL do not appreciate when you bring your own food, but I don't think this level of realism is really needed in the game. 

• Haha 1

I was a bit confused because of the "dragging food over my character" part.

Mechanically: In Deadfire you can either get bonuses from food which requires camping - or bonuses from the inn which requires taking a room.

You might think about it as camping with bonfire and your own food vs. board and lodging.

Both provide resting bonuses. You can't have multiple resting bonuses so it's either/or. You either rest in a camp or in an inn.

Why? I guess purely because of those mechanical reasons. Of course you could argue that one might eat their own food in their chamber, but it would have been more complicated because of conflicting or stacking bonuses etc.

You could rationalize the current solution by saying "usually you can't consume your own food in an inn" or "food is already included when resting in an inn" or something like that. If that works for you then fine. If not you'll just have to live with this disturbance of your immersion. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the detailed and comprehensive reply 😎

it really is a minor disturbance, not one I’m going to keep dwelling on. I actually just figured out how to use the food I’ve been crafting and acquiring. I had forgotten there was a “Rest” button (on my setup it’s Z right now, that’s not the default) and usually before battles it’ll let you rest and eat. 

your answer definitely makes sense now that I think about it so thank you. Actually pretty logical, all things considered  

• Like 1

I personally wish in inns and such you were allowed to bring your own food and drink (maybe paying a corkage fee), because especially later in the game I might have food or drink bonuses that I prefer to what's nearby (especially in SSS) but it's a little annoying to leave the area each time I want to rest. This matters extra on Rymrgand's challenge because sometimes the travel time to outside (e.g. Nekataka) might cause food to decay.

Also it's a little odd that you can't rest in a lot of cities, but you can wait in place for endless amounts of hours. Clearly the rest restriction harkens back to the Baldur's Gate days, but back then you also couldn't wait in place. RPG logic... (other RPGs are also violators of this logic)

• Like 1

I mean nobody would say anything if you just sit/stand around in the city and wait - even for hours. It's when you build up your tent and light the bonfire when people start to shoot you odd looks. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

I mean nobody would say anything if you just sit/stand around in the city and wait - even for hours. It's when build up your tent and light the bonfire when people start to shoot you odd looks. ;)

I don't know about where you live, but if I and four of my friends stood around in place for days in front of (or in) a store, periodically looking in to see if the inventory changed, we would probably get the authorities called on us :)

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

If you stand in front of a shop in Berlin for days you will most likely get some change and that's it. Inside the shop: different story obviously, although nobody would start with calling authorities but just ask what's going on or ask you to leave (with the typical "Berliner Schnauze" - please look that up).* :)

Maybe it's not realistic™ that the waiting function has no cap, but it's safe to assume that the vast majority of players only need the waiting function to skip a few hours in order to change from day to night or vice versa, or more generally speaking: to skip ahead a few hours in order to be able to trigger some event.

There could have been a cap - for example "not more than 8 hours" because it would become a rest then. But imagine the gamor rage of the few players who use this function more frequently (like you said for refreshing shop inventories for example). Not putting a cap on the waiting function was a smart decision imo.

Maybe it would be cool if there would have been some random interruption after some hours: a guard asking you to move on, a shopkeeper throwing you out at night etc. But it would have only been cool for the first two times or so I guess. After that it would have been annoying as hell to you "extreme loitering guys", wouldn't it? ;)

*The US seems to be different. All kinds of situations which are just a bit off but harmless otherwise seem to be perceived as very threatening. Never experienced this in any other country I lived in or visited (it's quite the list). But maybe that's just my impression. Nearly all Americans I met were very friendly (except border police who were rude af) but also quite concerned about personal safety in general.

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

*The US seems to be different. All kinds of situations which are just a bit off but harmless otherwise seem to be perceived as very threatening. Never experienced this in any other country I lived in or visited (it's quite the list). But maybe that's just my impression. Nearly all Americans I met were very friendly (except border police who were rude af) but also quite concerned about personal safety in general.

I can report that a (locally) famous Scandinavian musical group went to Texas to record an album. On a break from recording, they decided to take a walk in the studio neighborhood. They were stopped by the police. Because you just don't walk around in Texas, it's suspicious.

My experience is that English-speaking countries in general tend to be fearful, or at least quite concerned. The English-speaking countries I've experienced are England, Ireland, the United States, Australia, New Zealand and Malta, of which Malta is the only exception to the rule. (However, I would also agree that Americans tend to be very friendly.) I find it quite odd.

The most obvious difference to me is when you experience American parents on playgrounds in Berlin. I mostly meet Americans who are expats or diplomats, sometimes military - maybe those are special in that regard - although the military ones seem to be the most relaxed. 

They are always completely bedazzled and terrified that we let our children climb up slides, climbing frames, trees etc. all by themselves without standing right there all the time should they fall or need help. Some of these American parents will yell at other parents who are having a conversation or read a book or whatver while the kids do something they perceive as dangerous. I once got yelled at because one of my daughters (who couldn't walk by then) ate a fistful of sand and I was like "well cheers - I hope you like it".

I went to school on my own from frist grade on and my oldest daughter did it from third grade on (there's a huge street to cross and I wanted to make sure she's got the traffic rules right - I mean the basics). I left home after lunch and only had to return to dinner. Nobody knew where I was in between. Seems unthinkable in the US but again: maybe that just my impression.

I have been to Ireland and England and didn't notice what you say. But on the other hand that was like 20 years ago - so things might have changed. And obviously there's a big difference between city and countryside as well.

Edited by Boeroer

I would agree that the kind of concern you describe is most prevalent in the United States, in my experience. And yes, there must be huge differences within that country, too -- I have essentially experienced only the coasts, not the areas in between. So I cannot really make strong claims.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:35 AM, Boeroer said:

They are always completely bedazzled and terrified that we let our children climb up slides, climbing frames, trees etc. all by themselves without standing right there all the time should they fall or need help. Some of these American parents will yell at other parents who are having a conversation or read a book or whatver while the kids do something they perceive as dangerous. I once got yelled at because one of my daughters (who couldn't walk by then) ate a fistful of sand and I was like "well cheers - I hope you like it".

based on where I live in the states, this sounds about right (despite my best efforts sometimes I do this too - it's hard to resist cultural social pressures to be a helicopter parent).

at the same time, i also live in a city where there is an "Adventure Playground" which is a normal playground that also happens to have a bunch of tools, nails, and kids have free reign to build and dismantle stuff and adult supervision is verboten. A kid can even check out their own hammer, all they have to do is gather a few nails and turn them in. So... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by thelee

Hey, that sounds pretty cool. My kids can do that at home because I have a workshop, but who else has that (in the city - besides Jimmy Diresta I mean)? Very nice idea for a playground. 

I remember when I was at summer camp as a kid we were allowed to use hatchets (removing branches etc.). And every year one boy would manage to hit his shin. 😖