What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

Nice, got $400 to expense for WFH supplies, maybe can say I need a new video card.  Also my office is closing down and we're relocating to another one in the city - makes sense as it's more upscale and is efficient to just have one (I get the sense it was in the plans regardless of COVID). So I have to go into the office and grab my pen collection and other items (as well as steal everything else of my coworkers' that's not nailed down).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The pay raise I put in for in March was finally approved after a lockdown induced hold. I didn't specify any amount during my talk with my boss (we do that once a year, have lunch on expenses and talk about work, what's up, what's good, bad and potentially ugly) but I did mention that it's not really pay as much as a monthly insult. He was a bit taken aback and apparently immediately panicked and thought I want to quit.

Which in fact I don't, I'm more than happy to trade being a little underpaid for the other advantages of my job (short commute, great work/life balance when the world isn't ending due to a pandemic, interesting things to do, etc.). Underpaid in this context means that I would get more for the same job at other companies (i.e. not being part of an in-house development team but a dedicated software company), not that I wasn't already paid very well already compared to average and median incomes in our region.

I thought I'd get a bit more. Turns out I was wrong...

My pay got raised by 25%. So go me, I guess I should have mentioned that sooner.

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Had an accident at work.

Being a yard jockey, I've done alot of reversing with trailers, dolly-trailers, link and trailer, trailer and jigg, trailer-trailer - almost all combinations possible.

The simplest is of course just a plain trailer. It's routine for me, even though I'm a bit rusty, so when I'm going to reverse a trailer I usually gun it fairly well, going upwards of 20km/h, the speed limit on our yard if it's an empty trailer.

So late in the shift, I got a call over the radio that someone was connecting a trailer that was still being loaded, dangerous behavior, so I stopped my reversing and went straight to where it was happening, told the driver to disconnect and park to the side and wait, then I went back to what I was doing and was about to start reversing,. By then the driver had disconnected his trailer and decided that he was going to speed by behind me from my blind sidfe as I was positioned to start reversing, I gave it some gas as I usually do, and smashed right into the side of his truck.

He was absolutely furious and started yelling, swearing and whatnot, he took a couple of swings at me as people came outside to investigate. Accusing me of trying to kill him and things of that nature, and as it was about to be a shift change both the evening and nightshifts bosses were there I did my best to keep my cool, and just said "Reversing vehicles and yard jockeys has the right of way" and pointed to the sign with the rules.

His face was priceless 🤣

• Like 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Walked past a police car.

Looked at the license plate.

Realized that Greek Police (Ελληνική Αστυνομία) is abbreviated EA.

I live in a country where Electronic Arts has taken over law enforcement.

We don't have police corruption - just in-justice microtransactions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I suffered through a terrible heartburn episode the entire night. It's still not entirely gone. When I speak I sound like Bonnie Tyler after ten packs of cigarettes and a night full of booze. My throat feels like it was washed in acid... well... not much of a surprise since that's pretty much exactly what happened.

I haven't had heartburn for a while now. Certainly not to a degree where I could feel the acid reflux just below my larynx. Ugh. It's still not entirely gone. When I lie down I can feel it creeping further up.

'twas probably the peanut and chocolate mini cakes I indulged in. At least I hope it was, because the only other thing I ate today and yesterday were lintels... and I love lintels. More than chocolate and peanuts, really. :(

If it doesn't go away soon I might go and snatch my mother's GERD medication the next time I go and feed her, uhm, yeast culture. She's got plenty left over from after her gastric sleeve surgery. Hell knows what would happen if I went to a doctor complaining of a sore throat and a cough right now. Eh...

• Like 1

bought 200 meters (for my Murican friends, its around 4 medium sized stone throws) of fishing line for like 100 bucks, hope it will be worth it, going to try it this evening....

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Mustad -  Wish Braid 0,08mm 18lb 8,2kg Dark Green

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

16 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

bought 200 meters (for my Murican friends, its around 4 medium sized stone throws) of fishing line for like 100 bucks, hope it will be worth it, going to try it this evening....

Need that much to strangle people ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Need that much to strangle people ?

well there is a lot of people running around...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

8 strands! Its like Spiderwire on steroids (only 4 strands). Are you fishing for anything in particular or just whatever gets on your hook?

mainly perch, but will take anything that takes a bait :)

• Like 1

someone rammed my parked car and broke the rear bumper. he at least had the decency to leave his number behind so we met, called our insurances to register the damage and now i'm waiting for the go ahead from my insurance to go fix it. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

My sore throat has been replaced by a deadly man-cold that snuck in while my body was dealing with acid burn recovery. I'm probably not going to survive, so fare well fellow posters, it was nice knowing you all. *sneeze* *blows nose*

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, majestic said:

My sore throat has been replaced by a deadly man-cold that snuck in while my body was dealing with acid burn recovery. I'm probably not going to survive, so fare well fellow posters, it was nice knowing you all. *sneeze* *blows nose*

man-colds are the worst, women dont realize that man-colds have been scientifically  proven to be much worse than women-colds 

Thats why we always feel so much worse when we get flu...man-colds are MUCH  worse

;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I played FO4 all night. It's not a great RPG. It's not even a great FO game. But it IS enjoyable. Put aside it;s flaws and legacy and just "live" in the world and take in the atmoshpere and it's pretty good.  Of course my game is heavily modded and was the day Nora stumbled out of Vault 111 so maybe vanilla does suck. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

45 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I played FO4 all night. It's not a great RPG. It's not even a great FO game. But it IS enjoyable. Put aside it;s flaws and legacy and just "live" in the world and take in the atmoshpere and it's pretty good.  Of course my game is heavily modded and was the day Nora stumbled out of Vault 111 so maybe vanilla does suck. 

Mods just refine and enhance most games, many games are good without Mods but they can always be better through Mods :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Mods just refine and enhance most games, many games are good without Mods but they can always be better through Mods :geek:

I wasn’t even sure which game content was modeled in which was vanilla. Until I ran into a NPC with Amalee )from Skyrim’s Interesting NPCs mod) voice

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I wasn’t even sure which game content was modeled in which was vanilla. Until I ran into a NPC with Amalee )from Skyrim’s Interesting NPCs mod) voice

Absolutely, some of these Mods are pure genius and you often wont notice they not part of the original game 

With the Nexus Vortex Mod Manager you have such variety around your gaming experience. I tend to use adult and non-adult Mods but you can only use 254 Mods maximum which is more than enough.. But I only use Mods that are  themed to the game and RP experience, for example I wouldnt use Star Wars Mods and  integrate  them in an Elder Scrolls game 

I remember using about 200 Mods in Fallout 4 and I had a great time, I spent about 200-240 hours on this game and it was well worth it 

John Milton