What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

I was talking to someone on Twitch (he's in Texas) and he was saying he originally thought pics he saw must've been photoshopped but nope. I suppose some pics might be slightly saturation or contrast enhanced but not by much. It really is surreal at times, night or day, imo. The moon was so orange the other night it looked like the sun, haha.

This fuzzy pic represents the color-glow coming thru the garage door's opaque window pane.

firewindow.jpg

This was the sky over our yard at 9:30 this morning. It was a bit more orange and darker, stupid phone camera.

morningfiresky-01.jpg

Not my picture:

golfingunderorangeskies.jpg

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-09/amazing-photos-of-deep-orange-skies-snowing-ash-as-fire-smoke-swamps-bay-area

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Daaaamn, that definetly looks apocalyptic... Thank you though!

I've never seen anything like that

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Mmm... this day starts well.

Went out to the car to go get the alignment done. Turn the start key, engine turns one revolution and dead stops. "****", try again, one rev, dead stop - hydrolock. Third time's the charm, and it starts, go to the tyre shop. "Sorry, the alignment machine is dead".

Not entirely bad, saves me some money to change the headgasket. But still...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

I just dropped my wifes car off for an oil change.

Gfted1 !!!!  Im shocked....you know  that one part of the  "white male privilege code "...we ALWAYS change our own oil 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gfted1 !!!!  Im shocked....you know  that one part of the  "white male privilege code "...we ALWAYS change our own oil 

Heh, I used to change my own oil but honestly its too much of a pita to deal with. By the time you buy the oil and filter, shimmy under the car to drain the pan and replace the filter, refill the oil...theres barely any financial saving. Then you still have the headache of taking the used oil back to the auto parts store for disposal. 👎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with Gfted. I've reached the age where I'd rather throw money at a problem and let someone else deal with the details. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't trust "certified" mechanics. I've taken good care of my car, when I got it it had only been serviced in Volvo certified shops.

1. I had to fix two of the spark plug holes, because the thread was damaged.

2. The oil pan plugs threads were damaged. It looks like they used an impact wrench.

3. The bolts for the engine head was not tentioned properly (Which was the cause for the first gasket to fail) And the threads in one of the bolt holes were damaged from overtensioning.

4. Instead of changing the relay for the electric fan for the cooler, they bypassed the low rpm mode, so it was either off, or 100% on. 1.5$ cost to replace, takes 30 seconds. Literally, thirty seconds.

When I turned the car in for some insurance work because a badger had decided to kamikaze my cooler and spoiler, they changed my brand spanking new cooler for a cooler with 260.000, maybe +, kilometers on it. "We couldn't find a new one". What a load of horse hockey.

They claimed to have "welded" the spoiler together again, because they couldn't find a replacement, but had only painted over the cracks.

The skidplate and diffuser wasn't attached with bolts, but MOTHER****ING ZIPTIES!!

I even use a torque wrench to tension my wheel lugs.

Edit; Going back to driving my Volvo 240 in original condition was not fun, We managed to get the engine back in it in a couple of hours, but damn was it stressful. I've been driving with sports suspension and gotten accustomed used to it, so driving without it almost made me seasick. 🤣

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

I can sleep when I'm dead.

10 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

The moment my daughter was born, I stopped building my own PC's and started paying someone for that work.

Time is money.

Same, I have so very little free time anymore and even if I did I'd probably prefer doing something else anyways.

It also helps that my dealership comes and picks up my car and leaves me a loaner at no extra cost.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Cars have changed too much and us along with it. Also, we have excess money now. And would rather take a nap. 

...hubby still likes to do projects, but cars are sometimes like trying to troubleshoot PC's where nothing goes as expected so something that "should" take an hour or so might take all weekend, and he'd rather do other things.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

26 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Cars have changed too much and us along with it. Also, we have excess money now. And would rather take a nap. 

...hubby still likes to do projects, but cars are sometimes like trying to troubleshoot PC's where nothing goes as expected so something that "should" take an hour or so might take all weekend, and he'd rather do other things.

Hehe, I've got a car from 1998 built with 80's tech, so it's simplistic enough. The most advanced thing in it is probably the climate control. I'm mean... it's a true blood Volvo.

It's quite true about troubleshooting generally though.

38 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Same, I have so very little free time anymore and even if I did I'd probably prefer doing something else anyways.

It also helps that my dealership comes and picks up my car and leaves me a loaner at no extra cost.

My insurance covers a rental for me, I went to work in it once and then turned it back in and just used my volvo 240. That rental frustrated me to no end.

Edited by Azdeus

My mom is in a Parkinson's rehabilitation program for the next four weeks. Had to feed her pet today. She calls it Hugo and luckily it is really undemanding, quiet and not much of a problem when left alone. A bit of attention and some food once per week is enough. It's also quite ascetic. All it really needs is some rye flour and a bit of water.

And for everyone who is left wondering what the hell at this point, yes, I really am talking about a yeast culture (sourdough starter).

:p 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

The moment my daughter was born, I stopped building my own PC's and started paying someone for that work.

Time is money.

And you call yourself a PC gamer. Pft.

All the best to your mom, majestic

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Time is money.

Not in this economy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You guys make me feel really old with that Haddaway. I want my youth back dammit!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Time is money.

Sometimes time is money but sometimes people get involved in DIY or fixing there own cars because there is a sense of satisfaction and pride ....they genuinely prefer to do it themselves and sometimes they can do the same job as a " professional " and not pay for it 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://karoospace.co.za/barrydale/

This weekend we going away to stay in a little, tourist town called Barrydale. Its part of the spending time with my Dad and Cpt family and I am leaving today at 3 pm 

I am looking forward to some hiking and visiting any historical places 8)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Went target shooting.  This would be my first serious attempt at handgun shooting....

and I totally suck.  Hit the target twice at 25 yards, 10 yards was a totally scattered grouping, but at least I hit the target and even a few bullseyes.

It's not as easy as it looks, here I am sporting an AAA 9mm Beretta turbo modded and still totally newbed out.

Granted, I used JHP +P usually reserved for carry, but I wanted to test carry ammo first before my target ammo comes in.

Once my 500 rounds of FMJ comes in I'm probably gonna be out there for hours mastering my shots.

No cops showed up so that's a plus.  Made sure I was well within legal shooting range before I plastered a target on some brush.

I made a medium sized wok-full of veggies/beef with the intention of putting maybe half or a third of it in the fridge for later.

Then I ate it all, instead.  🐷

• Like 3

A bunch of my running group were supposed to run a marathon this week in place of the Boston Marathon, but the air quality has been terrible. I was planning on pacing for about half of it, and now I'm all antsy at home. Still, I feel bad for them, since this race was supposed to take place in April, then it was delayed until September, then it was cancelled. Their training has been a nightmare.

Oh, I was supposed to do a Half Ironman race today with my wife as well, but that got cancelled a couple months ago.

Edited by Hurlshot