What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

58 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Did I mention that I got a fryer a while back? I LOVE THIS THING! So far Ive made panko crusted shrimp, beer battered cod and french fries, and everything has turned out perfectly. Sometimes I just go pour a basket of fries, mix up a big blob of ketchup and mayo, salt the hell out of em and eat the whole plate. :lol:

Fryers are great fun. Except for the mess. That's not so great.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

True dat. It comes apart into individual components which are easy enough to clean. But even though Im frying with vegetable oil, I didnt want to pour it down my sink, so I dumped it into some grocery bags and then the garbage. There was a bit of a learning curve with wet batter too...learning how to gently "float" it into the oil so it doesnt stick to everything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skazz said:

I read your "Location" bit under the post count and now I feel immensely sad.

Hey! It's not so bad. Sometimes they even let me play video games as I am a sophisticated Seal. 

#notapaidadvertisment 

• Like 1

@Gfted1

IIRC, fried oil does tend to clog and ultimately destroy your drains/pipes, so that was a heads-up move. Yeah, there's definitely a bit of a learning curve, haha. We have what's called a "smelt run" every spring, where a ridiculous amount of smelt fish reproduce quickly and there's a big event to capture them and eat them (especially as they're an invasive species). Apparently, even for as crazy as it is now, it was apparently utterly ludicrous back in the 70s when the smelts were at their peak, and apparently that's why it's such a big annual event. Their numbers have greatly declined since then due to other species having adjusted to their presence, I guess...and I'm sure the massive amount of fishing hasn't helped either, :biggrin:. Anyways, love to fry up a pile of those every spring, always extremely tasty.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

So a month ago I got a text asking how my wife and I were doing and if we were ready for the school year. I didn't recognize the number, so I just kind of ignored it. Then yesterday I got a picture from that number of a bike and a woman ready to ride the bike. I don't recognize the person. I'm totally at a loss, but I must know them, since they knew my profession, they knew my wife's name, and clearly I have some cycling connection with them. So I decide to play it safe and text "The bike looks great, I will send the pic to *my wife*"

Then today I got a text saying we should come over and ride this weekend. We know where they live...

I don't even know who the person is! But I'm in too deep at this point, so I can't just text "Who are you?" If I've learned anything from sitcoms, it is when you are in a bad spot, you should just keep digging. Maybe I'll just suggest we meet at a neutral site and see who shows up.

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 2

OK, no that is a cool story! Let us know how it ends. Now I'm curious. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

16 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So a month ago I got a text asking how my wife and I were doing and if we were ready for the school year. I didn't recognize the number, so I just kind of ignored it. Then yesterday I got a picture from that number of a bike and a woman ready to ride the bike. I don't recognize the person. I'm totally at a loss, but I must know them, since they knew my profession, they knew my wife's name, and clearly I have some cycling connection with them. So I decide to play it safe and text "The bike looks great, I will send the pic to *my wife*"

Then today I got a text saying we should come over and ride this weekend. We know where they live...

I don't even know who the person is! But I'm in too deep at this point, so I can't just text "Who are you?" If I've learned anything from sitcoms, it is when you are in a bad spot, you should just keep digging. Maybe I'll just suggest we meet at a neutral site and see who shows up.

Sounds pretty suspicious, to me. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I asked for the address, claiming I get lost easily. It was my dentist!

The pic was his wife with a different hair color. He has 2 numbers apparently, because I already had him in my phone. Weird. 

Probably a bit anticlimactic, sorry. 😄

• Haha 6

Well, good that it wasn't some elaborate plan to assassinate/kidnap you

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Taking a break from political angst to post a couple things about the day.  First, glad you're still among the land of the living and not abducted and sold into bondage, Hurlshot.

Okay, so I bought Fantasy Grounds and the DMG, PHB, and MM modules to load into it for my niece.  She's excited.  I find playing with her kind of a pain, but I'll do it if she really wants.  My 5th edition campaign with my main group is going very well and FG is wonderful.

Second, I thought I lost my green folder I use for all my patient info.  Home health pays a lot more and it's a lot more flexible than the hospital, but it's extremely nerve wracking to have patient info in my house.  I'm very careful with the folder, but I have to chart at home and I was kind of sweating bullets for a few minutes.  I can hardly wait until I take my boards and start being an NP.  I'll work urgent care or some such.  Less strenuous and stressful, I think.  Being a provider means dealing with things like liability and getting a DEA number and whatnot, so maybe it will still be stressful, but I have high hopes.

• Like 3

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Today is going to be a great day, my Dad arrived from Durban and its the first time in 6 months my Cpt family has seen him. 7 years ago my Dad was jogging at 6 am and a car drove past him and hit him with its mirror, he was thrown into the air and landed badly on his head. Sadly the accident caused a form of Alzheimer's and he is losing his memory, Its terrible to see this happen to anyone so we all try to support him as much as possible 

We going on a roadtrip to see the West Coast flowers blooming and then going to a seafood buffet restaurant to have a 10 course meal which converts to $20/person ...so its excellent value for money, You cant get expensive seafood in the buffet like crab, lobster ,  sea urchins and parlimon but they have a nice variety 

I'll take some photos 

https://strandloper.com/menu/

• Sad 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

7 years ago my Dad was jogging at 6 am and a car drove past him and hit him with its mirror, he was thrown into the air and landed badly on his head. Sadly the accident caused a form of Alzheimer's and he is losing his memory, Its terrible to see this happen to anyone so we all try to support him as much as possible 

Good God, Bruce.  That truly sucks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Today is going to be a great day, my Dad arrived from Durban and its the first time in 6 months my Cpt family has seen him. 7 years ago my Dad was jogging at 6 am and a car drove past him and hit him with its mirror, he was thrown into the air and landed badly on his head. Sadly the accident caused a form of Alzheimer's and he is losing his memory, Its terrible to see this happen to anyone so we all try to support him as much as possible 

We going on a roadtrip to see the West Coast flowers blooming and then going to a seafood buffet restaurant to have a 10 course meal which converts to $20/person ...so its excellent value for money, You cant get expensive seafood in the buffet like crab, lobster ,  sea urchins and parlimon but they have a nice variety 

I'll take some photos 

https://strandloper.com/menu/

Sucks that it happened, try to make the best of the day and don't let it bring you down. You still have him.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm drinking heavily and cooking wings. Will probably end up up playing DOS2 with my woman.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sat out on my step listening to Electric Avenue on loop while reading.

45 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

I'm drinking heavily and cooking wings. Will probably end up up playing DOS2 with my woman.

...You drunk playing with your wife...STREAM IT!!!!

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

We had an amazing day at that restaurant, the weather was perfect and it was great seeing my Dad again

The entire 10 courses were definitely worth it and they even did have one Crayfish course,,,,you  couldn't eat as much Crayfish as you wanted but  it was a nice surprise 

The 10 courses were not really 10 courses but rather 7-8 seafood choices in a buffet served at different times but as I mentioned excellent value for money 

Here are the photos

20200906_112325.jpg

20200906_113832.jpg

20200906_113836.jpg

IMG-20200906-WA0014.jpg

• Like 5

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

42 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Were dogs involved?

Nah, can't take one dog out without the other crying and they are too big for my lap to carry both.  They do need to learn to be apart though, so maybe it is a good idea to do so in 5 minute sprints.

Yesterday I was out on a ride, and at the start of my big descent of the day, a wasp hit my ring finger. It just hung on, stinger deeply lodged into the skin. I was descending, so I kept trying to shake it loose but I couldn't risk taking my hands off the bar for long. Finally after a couple attempts, I shook him loose, but the stinger, his lower body, and a bit of guts were left behind. It was burning something fierce, but knew it was safest to just finish the descent and then clean it off. 

I get to the bottom and carefully remove the stinger, and start the 15 mile ride home. When I got in, I showed my wife. It had started to swell, so she told me to get the ring off fast. I used some petroleum jelly to get that done. Now my whole hand is a bit itchy and swollen up. 

So add that to my tally of exercise session gone wrong. :p 

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Gasp! 2

Just got my Winchester 9x19 124 grain FMJ NATO rounds and my Speer Gold Dot Gold 9x19 124 grain JHP +P rounds.

Both fire roughly at 1200 fps but the JHP rounds naturally have better muzzle energy (around 410 foot pounds or so) and better penetration do the the expanding nature of hollow point rounds on impact.

Not exactly proud that I picked up the ammo that's both standard for the U.S. Army (Winchester NATO) AND law enforcement (Cops love Speer Dot Gold ammo) but shortages in 9mm ammo especially have rendered my options limited.

Went to Wal Mart and bought target accessories and a magazine loader.

Now the quest for finding a personal shooting range somewhere in the non-developed area in town.  State law says you can shoot anywhere as long as the point of shooting and the destination of the bullet is at least 100 yards away from any residence.

@BruceVC - that looks like my type of restaurant, all casual environment and such. Nice view, too.

....yesterday was blistering hot. Over 100F in many spots. Some cities broke 50y.o temp records, including our little city. Today it's a little better but...I don't know how Hurl can stand to ride his bike/do any serious level of outdoor exercise in this kind of weather.  ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts