What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

twice we went full dresden on an employer. no surprise it were different employers.

😂

Sounds like more than just the "HA! Good Fun!"  parting line. If you go traveling and you ever decide to stop by Queensland in Australia, Consider yourself invited to sharing a drink (alcoholic or otherwise) somewhere ;)

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This is my 17th year teaching, and I can't figure out if it is a reprieve or a terrible anomaly. I mean, it is a huge boost to get a year off from commuting. I am probably gaining close to 10 hours a week back just on that. I also get to spend a bunch of time helping my own kids navigate the year, so that is a plus. 

But there is also a huge disconnect with my students, I am stressed about planning, and at the end of the digital classes I don't feel anywhere near as good as I do during a normal year.

So yeah, I hope the next 14 years after this one are back in the classroom. Then I can retire and travel the world with Grommie and get free drinks in Australia.

• Like 4

There are few days I would not fall to my knees and thank God I don't live in South Florida anymore. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about it. I've never been in a more vibrant and fun place. But it's also extremely expensive just to get by, some parts are very dangerous (like most metro areas), and  of course Boca Raton (ugh). And traffic.... it's got nothing on SoCal but still pretty bad. But the part I hated the most was the anxiety that started in June and heightened all through the summer to a near panic stage in September and October. Hurricane season. SFL is the #6 pin in the Hurricane bowling alley. 

So, now I live in Tennessee. Almost a 400 miles (630 kilometers give or take) from the Gulf of Mexico.  And today Hurricane Laura will pass over us as a Cat 1. Man I feel terrible for the folks in SW Louisiana and East Texas. The ones who could not evacuate especially but even the ones who did and what they are coming home to when it's all clear. 

Think about this for a moment. Hurricanes are fueled by warm water and low pressure. They dissipate quickly over land. This storm had so much energy that 24 hour and 400 miles later not only does it still have a center of circulation it is still strong enough to be a hurricane. This was a monster storm. On the weather channel radio they estimated a storm surge that could reach as far as 40 miles inland in some places. In Port Arthur LA they used the term "unsurviveable storm surge".  A 20' wall of seawater travelling at over 100 mph. 

God DAMN I hate hurricanes. 

• Gasp! 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

55 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

There are few days I would not fall to my knees and thank God I don't live in South Florida anymore. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about it. I've never been in a more vibrant and fun place. But it's also extremely expensive just to get by, some parts are very dangerous (like most metro areas), and  of course Boca Raton (ugh). And traffic.... it's got nothing on SoCal but still pretty bad. But the part I hated the most was the anxiety that started in June and heightened all through the summer to a near panic stage in September and October. Hurricane season. SFL is the #6 pin in the Hurricane bowling alley. 

So, now I live in Tennessee. Almost a 400 miles (630 kilometers give or take) from the Gulf of Mexico.  And today Hurricane Laura will pass over us as a Cat 1. Man I feel terrible for the folks in SW Louisiana and East Texas. The ones who could not evacuate especially but even the ones who did and what they are coming home to when it's all clear. 

Think about this for a moment. Hurricanes are fueled by warm water and low pressure. They dissipate quickly over land. This storm had so much energy that 24 hour and 400 miles later not only does it still have a center of circulation it is still strong enough to be a hurricane. This was a monster storm. On the weather channel radio they estimated a storm surge that could reach as far as 40 miles inland in some places. In Port Arthur LA they used the term "unsurviveable storm surge".  A 20' wall of seawater travelling at over 100 mph. 

Are you going to be good if it hits you?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Are you going to be good if it hits you?

Oh yeah I'll be fine. My house is wood frame but rated up to 110 mph winds. I remember asking when I was choosing plans with the builder. I'm high enough over the surrounding water that flooding should not be an issue. Yesterday afternoon I disconnected the solar system and took the panels down. I laid then flat, face down and covered them with plywood sheets. They are expensive to replace and don't want anything hitting them. Other than that I use my generator all the time so i know that's good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm glad to hear it :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

^  Hurricanes is another reason I won't be retiring to the FL or similar etc. "Big" earthquakes once every 50-100 years seems a lot better odds to me. I'm staying on the Northern side of the W. Coast. :*

Stay safe, GD.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've had a little extra time lately, which is always great.  I did a blueberry batch of mead last night.  I'm mightily sick of making blueberry all the time,  but it's a popular flavor and so I've been accommodating people.  I think I'll do a small plum batch or something also.  My wife likes citrus, but that's really touchy.  Sometimes it comes out great but other times not so much.  I really should do a five gallon batch of ale, but it's a lot of work do to five gallons.  I dunno.  I need to find something I can do one gallon.  I've more or less got my blueberry recipe down and I want to find something I can standardize and throw together relatively easily.

EDIT:  you guys in hurricane country be careful, for God's sake!

Edited by MedicineDan

"Not for the sake of much time..."

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

My folks live in southern FL, not even on the coast, but technically off the coast on an island. In the 3 1/2 years they've been there they have gone through several major hurricanes, including multiple cat 5s. They've gotten through it fine, save for losing power for several days once, but I'm glad I live some 250 miles inland. I'm going to move further inland to the NC/Tennessee mountains.  I'll take my chances with black bears rather than hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I just spent 2 hours troubleshooting, reinstalling windows and running antivirus programs and whatnot because I was convinced that my mouse moving apparently on its own was malware.

My Bluetooth keyboard was on the floor upside down, the touch pad generating the input.

My biggest facepalm this week.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Cleaned my monitor.

so_good.jpg

Edited by Azdeus
  • Thanks 1

3 days before CK3 and my laptop motherboard crapped out! Shopping for a new laptop now

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Thomas Sowell

Does anyone know anything about framing/hanging posters? Wooden frames for the size (24x36") seem to run around $40-50, but I just don't know that much about poster-framing, and don't know if I'm approaching it from the right angle to begin with.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Does anyone know anything about framing/hanging posters? Wooden frames for the size (24x36") seem to run around $40-50, but I just don't know that much about poster-framing, and don't know if I'm approaching it from the right angle to begin with.

Not much about framing but when it comes to hanging a laser level is worth every penny

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

On 8/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Hurlshot said:

This is my 17th year teaching, and I can't figure out if it is a reprieve or a terrible anomaly. I mean, it is a huge boost to get a year off from commuting. I am probably gaining close to 10 hours a week back just on that. I also get to spend a bunch of time helping my own kids navigate the year, so that is a plus. 

But there is also a huge disconnect with my students, I am stressed about planning, and at the end of the digital classes I don't feel anywhere near as good as I do during a normal year.

So yeah, I hope the next 14 years after this one are back in the classroom. Then I can retire and travel the world with Grommie and get free drinks in Australia.

Yeah, my wife has just started her 33rd year.  It's absolutely dismaying teaching under lockdown conditions, but take heart, brother.  This too shall come to pass. 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:46 PM, Gorth said:

😂

Sounds like more than just the "HA! Good Fun!"  parting line. If you go traveling and you ever decide to stop by Queensland in Australia, Consider yourself invited to sharing a drink (alcoholic or otherwise) somewhere ;)

Well, my friend, I'm a love 'em and leave 'em kind of guy, but I will gladly buy you a brew also.  In fact, Gromnir, the rat bastard, can count on a brew also.  If I'm feeling particularly generous, I'll even make it one of my homebrew, which leads me to my day.

Working home health now, because of school, I charted on a patient I saw yesterday.  So weird keeping pt info at home!  The *real* fun of the day, however, was was doing the second step of my blueberry mead.  It's a new technique.  I'll keep you posted how it goes.  I also did a non boil pear 'brew.'  2lbs raw honey and a full 3lbs pear.  I cored them all, skinned half, and then processed everything.  The real problem with pureeing fruit is that it doesn't always settle right, which means that it's hard to clarify, but I have my hopes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

13 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

Working home health now, because of school, I charted on a patient I saw yesterday.  So weird keeping pt info at home!  The *real* fun of the day, however, was was doing the second step of my blueberry mead.  It's a new technique.  I'll keep you posted how it goes.  I also did a non boil pear 'brew.'  2lbs raw honey and a full 3lbs pear.  I cored them all, skinned half, and then processed everything.  The real problem with pureeing fruit is that it doesn't always settle right, which means that it's hard to clarify, but I have my hopes.

It could've been worse... at least they didn't ask you to put up with the patients at home ;)

Those beverages of yours sure sounds delicious 😋

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I woke up early this morning and did something I almost never do: made a big breakfast. Veggie omelet (all ingredients made right here on my homestead) and cornmeal biscuits. Plus a pot of coffee.... can't forget that. Now I'm loading the lawn mower and Sunny into the truck and we're going to go mow my lots in Covington & Brownsville and check on all my properties. The king is touring his kingdom.  Maybe do a little fishing along the way.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I'm the opposite: eat a good breakfast, eat small the rest of the day. Much easier than the other way around - once you've had your big meal of the day, the rest is so much easier to manage (and it's not nearly as big of a deal if you have to skip something later, whereas if you had a small breakfast, eating a small lunch or skipping it really sucks).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

About one month ago one of my headlights on my car burnt out, today the other headlight burnt out. Planned obsolescence much? -.-

Ended up asking on some private moviegoer forums what the best option for my movie poster was, which I guess was probably the logical idea to begin with - apparently, high quality frames that have very limited chance of degrading or damaging the poster over time and that will also properly protect the poster from e.g. UV damage or acidic corrosion without also making it look like crap will run more in the $100-150 range. About as expensive as the poster itself was. This is a bit more of an expensive poster project than I bargained for. Oh well, I guess you can't put a price on staying quality!

Edited by Bartimaeus