What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

On 8/22/2020 at 7:21 AM, Skazz said:

I've come to the conclusion that there's something fundamentally wrong with how I handle my free time.

I'm not even sure where it goes. I can't explain it; I mean, I know people who have far more on their plate than I do and still manage to come out on top and do great at that whole "responsible and well-organized adult life" thing. Yet here I am, wasting hours and sacrificing my energy to some inexplicable void in my daily schedule. Worst of all, not too long ago, there was a period when I had a a handful of completely free weeks and I still felt like I didn't have enough time to do things properly (ridiculous, I know). And no matter how soon I opt to begin my shift, all the extra hours after work that are seemingly saved just seem to turn into a shapeless blur.

I would welcome any and all tips on the matter. There's way too much job-unrelated work to be done to just leave it be.

Well, could always set objectives for the day, number will depend on experience - so if you set 3 and never get anywhere near it, set 1.  Great, now I'm adivising some one to use Agile in their real life...

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Well, could always set objectives for the day, number will depend on experience - so if you set 3 and never get anywhere near it, set 1.  Great, now I'm adivising some one to use Agile in their real life...

I don't work in IT and I'll readily admit that I know next to nothing about what the "Agile" buzzword entails. Is there anything wrong with it? I mean, what you wrote sounds like a reasonable approach, no?

Edited by Skazz

10 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I don't work in IT and I'll readily admit that I know next to nothing about what the "Agile" buzzword entails. Is there anything wrong with it? I mean, what you wrote sounds like a reasonable approach, no?

Nah, nothing wrong with it, everyone just does it wrong 😛

• Thanks 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No-one does Agile right.

Even the people who developed it use it wrong. That's the nature of Agile.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

21 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I started building my greenhouse today. 

Looks like fun. Feel free to come over and make one for us.  We'll pay.   :thumbsup:

On 8/23/2020 at 3:32 AM, Azdeus said:

My feet and calves has swollen over night, going to have to go to the doctors tomorrow. -.-

Glad it went down, hopefully it's nothing serious. 
I've had to deal with that a bit myself,  (edema is a potential side effect of insulin).  Was really bad the first couple days (sausage legs/feet) home, but then fine/normal, but occasionally they still feel a bit stiff/tingly/weird. I try to keep sodium low and extra potassium but it feels random, so annoying.

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Glad it went down, hopefully it's nothing serious. 
I've had to deal with that a bit myself,  (edema is a potential side effect of insulin).  Was really bad the first couple days (sausage legs/feet) home, but then fine/normal, but occasionally they still feel a bit stiff/tingly/weird. I try to keep sodium low and extra potassium but it feels random, so annoying.

Thanks, I hope so too, my feet are back to their normal veiny and tendony selves, though I still have some spots on the lower legs and feet. You have my sympathies, it definetly felt weird and stiff

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 8/22/2020 at 4:21 AM, Skazz said:

I've come to the conclusion that there's something fundamentally wrong with how I handle my free time.

I'm not even sure where it goes. I can't explain it; I mean, I know people who have far more on their plate than I do and still manage to come out on top and do great at that whole "responsible and well-organized adult life" thing. Yet here I am, wasting hours and sacrificing my energy to some inexplicable void in my daily schedule. Worst of all, not too long ago, there was a period when I had a a handful of completely free weeks and I still felt like I didn't have enough time to do things properly (ridiculous, I know). And no matter how soon I opt to begin my shift, all the extra hours after work that are seemingly saved just seem to turn into a shapeless blur.

I would welcome any and all tips on the matter. There's way too much job-unrelated work to be done to just leave it be.

not gonna answer direct, so bear with us.

am a fifty-one year old burnout who managed to make enough money to retire at fifty. 

we got almost no advice 'cause in spite o' fact our story, on paper, looks like a horatio alger success tale, it were similar improbable. 

almost no advice.

don't try to fix your life.  start small. pick three small things you know you should do daily, but don't. hell, pick one task to start. something as small as making your bead in the morning.  make routine. is a seeming inconsequential achievement, but get in the habit o' doing and succeeding every day.  am knowing it sounds silly and cliché, but success is a habit. if you are trying to change direction/trajectory o' your life, start by choosing to make success routine and predictable.

whenever we face a big problem, one which is visible insurmountable, we take one small part we know we are able to address and then work on that part.  am not gonna lie; some problems is indeed insurmountable. nevertheless, you always got a fighting chance if you believe you can succeed ('cause success became a habit) and if you manage to stay in the game long enough to find solutions. worry up a small corner o' the problem and work on it even if it seems like doing so is a waste o' effort. 

am knowing such pith sounds like f'ing self help nonsense which feels patronizing and asinine when problems is big... twenty and thirty year problems. how the heck do you get a career and start building towards retirement by making your bed every morning? Gromnir  is obvious an idiot, no?

am also gonna once again admit how we quite happily retired at a relative early age 'cause what we were doing and how we were doing became soul numbing. perhaps not a great model to follow. 

gl

HA! Good Fun!

ps perhaps the best bit o' advice, but one we never managed to take, is to not be afraid to ask coworkers and friends for help, advice and criticism. not money. don't ask friends for money. however, advice and aid and criticism is gonna be useful. if you don't have friends, pretend as if coworkers and acquaintances is friends and chances are they will be soon enough. 

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Also Skazz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

am knowing such pith sounds like f'ing self help nonsense which feels patronizing and asinine when problems is big... twenty and thirty year problems. how the heck do you get a career and start building towards retirement by making your bed every morning? Gromnir  is obvious an idiot, no?

No, I don't think it's nonsense at all. I got burned way too many times for parsing stuff like a critical ass instead of actually being receptive to the experiences of others - and believe me, when you're me, or someone who in any shape or form approximates me, you really need all the advice you can get.

Thank you for taking the time to write your post. I know I'm just a random stranger bawling my eyes out on the internet, but I do appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

ps perhaps the best bit o' advice, but one we never managed to take, is to not be afraid to ask coworkers and friends for help, advice and criticism. not money. don't ask friends for money. however, advice and aid and criticism is gonna be useful. if you don't have friends, pretend as if coworkers and acquaintances is friends and chances are they will be soon enough. 

Well, if we're being entirely honest here... the results of that bolded part have been mixed so far. 😛

Edited by Skazz

21 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Well, if we're being entirely honest here... the results of that bolded part have been mixed so far. 😛

wouldn't expect other than "mixed." the thing is, mixed implies, perhaps incorrect, both bad and good results.  when it comes to friends, can be aiming for something far short o' mendoza line batting average and still be a winner

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

too late to party but i will never miss chance to post this baby:

• Gasp! 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

*shuffles through a box of my mother's "me-related" stuff I was given when she passed away*

(paraphrasing)..."your new daughter was actually brought to Seoul from Pusan, where she was found and assumed to be from."

Really? Pusan? Never heard of Pusan. Where's that? *google* ohhhh...it's another spelling for Busan.

There's quite a bit of information I wasn't aware of, in all these adoption process papers. It's...interesting.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@Skazz my advice is to never procrastinate and do not multi-task. I learned a long time ago multi-tasking is a wonderful opportunity to screw up multiple things simultaneously. Plus when mutli-tasking four one hour jobs you will not complete them in one hour. You won't een complete them in four. Next thing you know half the day is gone and you still haven't gotten anything done.  Frustration will rise, that leads to anxiety which leads to more frustration.

Whatever task you are on focus on 100% until completion. If I have one skill it's the ability to laser focus on one thing at a time and shut everything else out. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I built the framing for the greenhouse today. Didn't take any pics. I will once it's finished though.  I kind of suck at carpentry. Particularly figuring angles which is ironic because I was always good at math and even enjoyed Trig. But a sloped roof down the east facing side is part of the plan. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Trying to help my father fix a kernelbase.dll error on his computer via phone. It's not fun, I'm starting to think he is having some memory issues since he can't remember what I said after the first letter when trying to get him to type "sfc" >_<

Edited by Azdeus
  • Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 8/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, Guard Dog said:

@Skazz my advice is to never procrastinate and do not multi-task. I learned a long time ago multi-tasking is a wonderful opportunity to screw up multiple things simultaneously. Plus when mutli-tasking four one hour jobs you will not complete them in one hour. You won't een complete them in four. Next thing you know half the day is gone and you still haven't gotten anything done.  Frustration will rise, that leads to anxiety which leads to more frustration.

Whatever task you are on focus on 100% until completion. If I have one skill it's the ability to laser focus on one thing at a time and shut everything else out. 

Thank you! I'll try the one-thing-at-a-time approach.

5 days left until Crusader Kings 3. I don't usually wait with anticipation for a game's release. And Paradox's Rome Imperator was a disappointment. Although it's better now than when it came out. But this one seems to have a lot going for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

But this one seems to have a lot going for it. 

That's what people said about Imperator.... :p

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

That's what people said about Imperator.... :p

Well.... it's not THAT bad. Not tow at least. When it came out is stunk like a burning porta-john. Not only was is a buggy mess what it tried to do well was halfass implemented. 

Thomas Sowell

I should really get back to learning HOI4, too many games to play now and most of the time I just fall back to FM2018 hah.  Today spent some time looking at my retirement and savings investments, realizing they've not grown as much as I'd like, although now is probably not the best time to change it up.  Definitely decreasing how much stuff I have in FIs is a good  idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I should really get back to learning HOI4, too many games to play now and most of the time I just fall back to FM2018 hah.  Today spent some time looking at my retirement and savings investments, realizing they've not grown as much as I'd like, although now is probably not the best time to change it up.  Definitely decreasing how much stuff I have in FIs is a good  idea.

Coincidentally I've been looking at the same thing the past few days. I'm taking a hard look at what I'd need to do to retire early. This home office thing has been great and is coming to an end next year. Not sure I can go back to seeing... people... everyday. 

Thomas Sowell

Had the blood test yesterday. If I understand things correctly, the results mean that while I can't binge on any sweets (a few squares of chocolate is ok but...), I could eat the occasional bacon burger without guilt. 😄 At any rate, at least the numbers are overall good. 

08-25-20-bloodtest.jpg

Triglycerides are in the low/middling "high" range ("very high" starts around 500 - lipase and amylase are pancreas related too).  I'd like to get below 200 tho. When I was discharged they were around 1100mg.  When first admitted to hospital they were over 2500mg (hence, in part, my utter loopiness). HA. HA.

The fires and smokey air curtailed outdoor walks for a bit - think it's better/ok today, time to boogie around the neighborhood. The chair-pedaling is fine/great for basic aerobic but I need the variety. I can't tell if my thighs are getting more muscled again or if it's insulin water retention. Bah, whatever.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Coincidentally I've been looking at the same thing the past few days. I'm taking a hard look at what I'd need to do to retire early. This home office thing has been great and is coming to an end next year. Not sure I can go back to seeing... people... everyday. 

a bit over a year away from work and am knowing we are already unfit to return.

'course, we were kinda unfit the last decade or so. y'know the stories o' the woman who wins the lottery and on monday goes to work one last time just so she may tell bosses what she has always thought 'bout them? that were our situation for 'bout the last six-to-seven years. we had little reservation 'bout burning bridges, and not just bridges. twice we went full dresden on an employer. no surprise it were different employers.

admitted, retirement in the post covid world is a bit less than we hoped. plan were to take year one and do all the home and yard maintenance projects we had been neglecting for far too long. we did home projects last year and then just said, "screw it," and hired a gardner and an irrigation guy to take care o' the plant and sprinkler issues... which still ain't complete. 

this year were gonna be 'bout travel.

tenor.gif

has actual not been bad at all, but am feeling sorry for self trapped in our home with the dogs until air quality improves. freaking first world problems.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4