What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

On 8/19/2020 at 10:50 PM, ComradeMaster said:
  Reveal hidden contents

92-ltt-full-size3__23642__39743.1590619179.jpg?c=2

Am now the proud owner of a Beretta 92 Elite LTT Full-Size custom designed by Ernest Langdon.  18 rd 9x19 and as badass as American Pizza (Beretta is an Italian piece and Langdon is American so take something Italian and modify it in America and you get something truly remarkable).

I'd have gone for the 92X myself.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's overcast an a little cool today (by mid south summer standards). Might rain later. I worked until 11 pm last night so no work to do today. Looks like a good day to sit on the porch, drink coffee and read a book. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

26 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It's overcast an a little cool today (by mid south summer standards). Might rain later. I worked until 11 pm last night so no work to do today. Looks like a good day to sit on the porch, drink coffee and read a book. 

Sounds like a good idea, sometimes the simple things in life can be very rewarding and therapeutic 8)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Yup I was at a tossup between this and the 92X Compact with the trigger job, but I decided that if I wanna go compact I'll go with the G19 and personalize it, perhaps later.  Thanks to my former governor, it's now legal to carry and conceal here even without a permit and G19's are perfect for that.

Actually, maybe I'll go with the G30 next, a miniature hand blaster as a secondary weapon would probably be more appropriate, it's good to have separate ammo types.

Edited by ComradeMaster

12 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Personally I think the 92 are overpriced, its always the case with guns that get feature a lot in movies and games. The APX has been going for relatively cheap right now since they lost the bid for the US sidearm.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I wouldn't mind a Sig 365

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not as big of a fan of striker fired but that's just personal preference.

Of course, as Berettas go, I went with the PX4.

That's a good one, I tried it as a range rental a couple of time and it is awesome. The only thing that kept me from a purchase was the rotating barrel, I like the option of suppressing my guns.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

spent the day breathing ash.

we said "ash" you sophomoric collection o' beavis and butthead clones.

https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Safety/Current/

air quality is terrible and as am such a delicate petunia, we didn't even take the dogs for a walk this AM in spite o' fact it were a bit cooler.

the dogs do not like change. run upstairs. run downstairs. bark at the nothing they do not see or hear in the backyard, then they run upstairs. run downstairs. repeat for hours. has been a whole lotta panting, slobbering, barking as well as the thunder o' tiny hooves on our stairs, none o' which is direct attributable to Gromnir for a change.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Sad 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

spent the day breathing ash.

we said "ash" you sophomoric collection o' beavis and butthead clones.

https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Safety/Current/

air quality is terrible and as am such a delicate petunia, we didn't even take the dogs for a walk this AM in spite o' fact it were a bit cooler.

the dogs do not like change. run upstairs. run downstairs. bark at the nothing they do not see or hear in the backyard, then they run upstairs. run downstairs. repeat for hours. has been a whole lotta panting, slobbering, barking as well as the thunder o' tiny hooves on our stairs, none o' which is direct attributable to Gromnir for a change.

HA! Good Fun! 

I do not envy what you NorCal folks have to deal with every summer. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Been a while since I've had time to visit and now I come begging for money!  :sheepish grin:  Anyhow, I'm running this 5th edition campaign and one of my friends created an Extra Life page for it.  Trust me, I did *not* come up with the name of the group.  However, my buddy, Devenandar put it up.  I figured, since I'm always donating to CHOC on the Obsidian thing I'd hit up folks.  However, two things.  One, I never want to try to shake people down for donations.  If you have the cash, it's for a good cause.  ...And CHOC and CH Los Angeles take low income cases too, so it's worthy.  Second, I'm unsure if this pitch violates rules, so feel free to delete or edit this thread into conformity with board rules.  Meanwhile, what did I do today?  I was off work and no school until I start with my NP courses next semester, so I worked on my Fantasy Grounds Campaign.  Simply awesome!  I had hopes, but they were exceeded!  Huzzah!

EDIT:  FG is good enough I'll probably keep using somewhat even after the accursed lockdown ends and we can properly play on tabletop again.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/414875

Edited by MedicineDan
  • Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Nice to see you back Dan!

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

I've come to the conclusion that there's something fundamentally wrong with how I handle my free time.

I'm not even sure where it goes. I can't explain it; I mean, I know people who have far more on their plate than I do and still manage to come out on top and do great at that whole "responsible and well-organized adult life" thing. Yet here I am, wasting hours and sacrificing my energy to some inexplicable void in my daily schedule. Worst of all, not too long ago, there was a period when I had a a handful of completely free weeks and I still felt like I didn't have enough time to do things properly (ridiculous, I know). And no matter how early I opt to begin my shift, all the extra hours after work that are seemingly saved just seem to turn into a shapeless blur.

I would welcome any and all tips on the matter. There's way too much job-unrelated work to be done to just leave it be.

Edited by Skazz

Well, those thunder storms with its 1000's of lightning strikes were cool to look at, but we're (California) on fire again.  😛

Santa Cruz area is the closest a major fire has been to where I am (Oakland Hills decades ago was another) - not close enough to be dangerous to us but in that almost everything that's been evacuated or burning are places we've been to/driven to many many times, beaches, parks, towns.  And ofc the air quality is the pits and smells terrible even at our house.

11 hours ago, Skazz said:

I would welcome any and all tips on the matter. There's way too much job-unrelated work to be done to just leave it be.

Kind of depends on what type of "job-unrelated" work you're talking about. Stuff that requires daily or weekly doing? Once or twice a year stuff that you put off for longer than that?
The main thing tho is to realize it's unlikely you'll ever be fully caught up with some sort of to-do list since it all cycles around again. You try to do enough on a regular basis so it never becomes overwhelming from being ignored too long.

If you're watching TV or gaming or some other "attention-sucking" hobby, set a timer/alarm and don't ignore them whey they go off. Those things can be the utter worst for losing track of time/making days feel really short. if it's household/yard stuff, don't worry about perfection, either, or you'll find you only get one thing done instead of 3-4.  :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have some insight into this that's perhaps a little different than Lady Rojas.  As a recovering nihilist, I will say that I spend an inordinate amount of time sucking down adult beverages.  By that, I mean ETOH.  Okay, fair enough.  That, in and of itself, should be grounds to take my posts with a grain of salt.  However, I do what I gotta do in situations where I gotta do it.  Doesn't make me important and sure as hell doesn't make me a hero.  I'm just a guy doing a job.  However, there's more to life than doing a job.  I've become disciplined so that I can ruthlessly cut myself off from things in order to pursue a goal.  Ask my family about that... at least the ones with whom I still speak.  You should pursue the good. You should do good things.  You should never sacrifice the good for the sake of the perfect.  I honestly believe, Skazz, that your allotted days come from the Lord and how you dispose of them is for you to decide.  I, personally, was in a deep dark hole.  I dug myself out, but some part of me will always be in that hole.  The part that dug himself out will always judge himself harshly.  That's life, brother, but you gotta live it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"Not for the sake of much time..."

13 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

I have some insight into this that's perhaps a little different than Lady Rojas.  As a recovering nihilist, I will say that I spend an inordinate amount of time sucking down adult beverages.  By that, I mean ETOH.  Okay, fair enough.  That, in and of itself, should be grounds to take my posts with a grain of salt.  However, I do what I gotta do in situations where I gotta do it.  Doesn't make me important and sure as hell doesn't make me a hero.  I'm just a guy doing a job.  However, there's more to life than doing a job.  I've become disciplined so that I can ruthlessly cut myself off from things in order to pursue a goal.  Ask my family about that... at least the ones with whom I still speak.  You should pursue the good. You should do good things.  You should never sacrifice the good for the sake of the perfect.  I honestly believe, Skazz, that your allotted days come from the Lord and how you dispose of them is for you to decide.  I, personally, was in a deep dark hole.  I dug myself out, but some part of me will always be in that hole.  The part that dug himself out will always judge himself harshly.  That's life, brother, but you gotta live it.

Nice post and I agree with your general positive  sentiment :thumbsup:

I havent been going on my walks over the last 2 months due to the cold and unfriendly winter conditions but I started this weekend again, its great to be exercising again. I am definitely unfit and need to lose about 3 kg but that will happen as I get back into regular cardio 🍲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My feet and calves has swollen over night, going to have to go to the doctors tomorrow. -.-

• Sad 1

I started building my greenhouse today.  It will be 10' x 4'. I dug out a base and poured a 2" concrete  substrate. The placed pre-formed concrete step stones on it to make the floor. The idea being the gaps in the step stones will provide the drainage to a plastic trough I'll build on the sides. I don't trust my masonry skill to attempt a sloped floor or proper drain. 

This is what we've got so far.  

m22110069122.jpg

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

12 hours ago, Azdeus said:

My feet and calves has swollen over night, going to have to go to the doctors tomorrow. -.-

That does not sound good. Take care!

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I started building my greenhouse today.  It will be 10' x 4'. I dug out a base and poured a 2" concrete  substrate. The placed pre-formed concrete step stones on it to make the floor. The idea being the gaps in the step stones will provide the drainage to a plastic trough I'll build on the sides. I don't trust my masonry skill to attempt a sloped floor or proper drain. 

This is what we've got so far.  

m22110069122.jpg

Why you get some grout to fill those seams and make sure that the spike trap trigger works and you got yourself a  walkway, mate.

• Haha 1

village_idiot.gif

On 8/23/2020 at 12:54 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Kind of depends on what type of "job-unrelated" work you're talking about. Stuff that requires daily or weekly doing? Once or twice a year stuff that you put off for longer than that?

Mostly household chores and weekly assignments for my postgraduate studies. And um... hobbies in general (not work, I know). As silly as it sounds, I can never seem to find the time to read all the books I've prepared for myself, paint minis, etc... even though objectively I'm not hurting for free time.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:54 AM, LadyCrimson said:

The main thing tho is to realize it's unlikely you'll ever be fully caught up with some sort of to-do list since it all cycles around again. You try to do enough on a regular basis so it never becomes overwhelming from being ignored too long.

If you're watching TV or gaming or some other "attention-sucking" hobby, set a timer/alarm and don't ignore them whey they go off. Those things can be the utter worst for losing track of time/making days feel really short. if it's household/yard stuff, don't worry about perfection, either, or you'll find you only get one thing done instead of 3-4.  :lol:

Both sound like good ideas. I'm definitely guilty of getting overwhelmed by the accumulation of neglected to-dos. Thank you.

23 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

I don't think I am anywhere close to that level of discipline; on the contrary, LadyCrimson's post made me realize that its severe lack may have been feeding into the entire issue. Even though I have some pretty standard working hours, I still feel like it all blends together with my downtime into one boring mush, and as a result, I can't ever rest. It's a trivial complaint, perhaps, but it sure feels like I'm getting pointlessly tired for reasons I can't even pinpoint, as if every hour somehow turns into two, evaporating somewhere. Amazing superpower, isn't it? Getting tired from doing nothing.

In any case, thank you for your positive words. I'm happy that you managed to crawl out of your own pit and, for the most part, beat back whatever demons have been holding you back. I wish you all the best and hope you'll stay on that good path - you've crushed your nihilism, and that's no small feat.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swelling in my feet is basically gone today, so that's good. Instead of heading to the doc for a drop-in time, I decided to book a time in advance instead.

On another note, I'm a mean bastard. My niece wanted to play a new game today, Simon says. The first thing I hit her with? Simon says, don't blink!

She tries desperately to hold her eyes open for a few seconds before I see a lightbulb turn on in her eyes... she closed them!

I see a bright future ahead of her! :yes:

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Swelling in my feet is basically gone today, so that's good. Instead of heading to the doc for a drop-in time, I decided to book a time in advance instead.

On another note, I'm a mean bastard. My niece wanted to play a new game today, Simon says. The first thing I hit her with? Simon says, don't blink!

She tries desperately to hold her eyes open for a few seconds before I see a lightbulb turn on in her eyes... she closed them!

I see a bright future ahead of her! :yes:

How old is she, your niece is indeed prudent 

John Milton 

She five, I'm quite impressed. I myself would probably have just ate my own boogers by that age xD

• Thanks 2